SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys.
Had a leaking radiator as a result of the cooling fan rubbing against it. I have swaped the radiator for a new one and i have just found out that the cooling system needs to be bleeded. Can anyone point me out whats the procedure and especially where is the bleeding screw?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well i had a look in the manual before i posted here and i only found a bolt on the bottom of the engine which i removed and drained the old coolant. So do i now just top up the radiator with coolant and thats it? I have found a few discussions about bleeding the radiators on 950's and 640's LC4 so i tought the 690's do need to be bleeded as well.

·
Registered
689 Posts
sorry i thought it was in the manual cause it is in the 690sm.
There is a bleed screw on top of the radiator. You undo it and fill it from the main cap. Bike should be tilted so the bleed screw is bit higher. When only coolant comes out from the bleed screw you close everything and start it and let it go το 5 bars temp. You turn off and let it cool. I think 30 -40 minutes should be enough. You tilt the bike so the cap is higher and open it. You add water if needed and you are done. Then you also fill the expansion tank.
Note. While filling the radiator squeeze the hoses so traped air escapes

·
Super Moderator
6,598 Posts
got a workshop manual for the '08 690 smc and enduro, no mention of bleeding anywhere.

usually when the waterpump is the lowest point in the cooling circuit the system dispenses of any air on it's own when the engine is run. bleeding is required on bikes like the 625 smc and RFS bikes because the waterpump is located on the head of the engine.

copy/paste from the manual:

– Stand the motorcycle on its side stand on a horizontal surface.

– Remove radiator cap.

– Refill the coolant.

– Fill the radiator completely with coolant. Mount radiator cap.

– Remove the cap from compensating tank and add coolant to the level shown in
the figure.

– Mount the cap of the compensating tank.

– Start the engine and run it until the 5th bar of the temperature indicator lights up.

– Switch off the engine and allow it to cool down.

– After the engine has cooled down, check the coolant level in the radiator and in the
compensating tank again and add more coolant if necessary.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Could work both ways. But since there is a bleed screw, it makes sense to use it and fill and bleed the system quickly, otherwise I reckon it will take much longer for the traped air to exit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts