SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I take it this is a big bike only race?
Nope. This is an attempt to get a foothold in the NOVA / DC area for SM racing. The track is pretty basic, cones / hay bales in the parking lot / pit area at a dragstrip with a small dirt section / small jump or 2. If we get good turn out at these 3 events this year (Aug., Sept., Oct.) I can discuss a better dirt section with the owner over the winter.
I coordinated a similar event last year at MIR but we didn't pull in enough numbers to interest them in further events at this time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
FYI...that weekend is the AMA Superbike races at VIR.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FYI...that weekend is the AMA Superbike races at VIR.
I know but I had limited days I could do it and that was the one in August that worked without conflicting with ESMRA races or events scheduled at Colonial Beach. As a racer my inclination when given a choice has always been to race first and watch racing second, but I know others prefer to watch the pros race first.
There will also be a race on September 27 & October 25 at Colonial Beach. Flyers will be posted for them as the previous races are completed (actually the flyer in the link lists all 3 dates).

·
Registered
288 Posts
Good Job!! Wont be able to do the August date but, I'm really interested in the others. Please keep us "old forgetfull" guys updated on both threads. Once again thanks for the effort!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Damn ! Good work but way to put a teaser out there with a conflict right away (VIR). Darn it.......

Watching sucks but the camping, friends and partying is a lot of fun.

Decisions Decisions........

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn ! Good work but way to put a teaser out there with a conflict right away (VIR). Darn it.......

Watching sucks but the camping, friends and partying is a lot of fun.

Decisions Decisions........
Hey, I'm happy to get as many as possible and I understand about the conflict. Although I would naturally like to have as many as possible every time out I understand people wanting to go to VIR for the races and we already have the other 2 dates at Colonial Beach set for this season so people could still do both VIR and then race at Colonial Beach in Sept. & Oct.
As long as I pull in the numbers to keep the track happy enough tolet us come back next season I will be happy. Hopefully we pull in good enough numbers so I can talk to him about a better dirt section over the winter too.
Worst case scenario is we don't pull in the numbers and I'm back pounding the pavement trying to convince another facility to let us come out for 2009 (but with more experience since I only did one of these last year and there will be 3 this year, before long I might actually be able to convince someone that I have a vague idea what I'm doing :headscrat)(anyone who knows me knows that I am just stumbling along blindly, even a broken clock is right twice a day).

·
Registered
288 Posts
Hey Blue nun: Lets not let this slip bye! Lets keep in contact and get to the other dates:thumbup: Let me know and hope all is well!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
working the race

Hey all Im new in here , but this looks like a great time . Who do I talk to about helping work the race ?? Ive worked with the mini racing scene for a few years now , and would like to help out. We did a race like this a few years back and it was a blast.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey all Im new in here , but this looks like a great time . Who do I talk to about helping work the race ?? Ive worked with the mini racing scene for a few years now , and would like to help out. We did a race like this a few years back and it was a blast.
That would be me. You can either PM me, call me (301)481-9245, or just come to the race and I'll be more than happy to let you work corners / etc. The racers would also appreciate it since they have to work corners when they're not racing / preparing to race (one way we're keeping the cost down for everyone). The more non racers working corners the more time they have to prep /rest for their race.

* when I say work corners that also includes all the other tasks needed to run the race- scoring, posting results, flagging at the start/finish, etc.

·
Registered
183 Posts
count me in, I have a supermoto bike that I stunt ride but I can do some quick adjustments to get it race ready, Ive always wanted to race but didnt wanna drive 4 hours...good job in getting this set up around here...i will spread the word. It would be cool to get this thing off the ground.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
count me in, I have a supermoto bike that I stunt ride but I can do some quick adjustments to get it race ready, Ive always wanted to race but didnt wanna drive 4 hours...good job in getting this set up around here...i will spread the word. It would be cool to get this thing off the ground.
Looking forward to seeing you there. :thumbup:
I saw you over on dcsportbikes and tried to catch up with your group @ the event you had set up @ Fredericksburg Hooters but it was canceled. Mike @ Hooters was cool though and let me post some fliers and made copies to hand out at their Bike night. Hopefully we get a good turnout and this takes hold.
FYI- I have been in talks with other regional facilities but I put them on hold until the off season so I could concentrate on making sure these 3 events @ Colonial Beach went well. If all goes well we will be back @ Colonial Beach next year for more AND we will be doing one or 2 additional venues. :D Stay tuned for (hopefully) more venues and events next year. :hmmm:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Music to my ears.... Love the thought of stuff close(r) to home.

Barry

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd like to thank the powers that be for allowing quads at this event...... I had a BLAST!!! Can't wait til the next one.....

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd like to thank the powers that be for allowing quads at this event...... I had a BLAST!!! Can't wait til the next one.....
The "powers that be" would be E-loc, he's the one that called me and asked if the quads could run too. :thumbup: The track owner had also asked me if I would include a quad class so he could try and get some of his drag racers to come out to our races.
I was impressed with the quads- good turn out for such short notice, good racing, and a great bunch of guys. I hope to see all of you (and hopefully more) at the September race. Look in the Northeast forum and you will see some pics of the event, including y'all quads.
We only had 3 minis show up (I didn't realize that I had scheduled it on a weekend that y'all had races at Sandy Hook, next season I'll try to check your schedule so that I don't have conflicting dates), hopefully we will see more of you in September. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts