SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is do we need to revisit running on MoM weekends?

Any ideas on how to get the word out to potential SM racers to come get the sport a try?

We would also like feed back on what if anything we need to look at to improve the race day fun factor?

Please e-mail Kellie Storms your ideas and suggestions. [email protected]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hook's top 10 suggestions to grow the sport...

1. Have "Supermoto Mondays" make a come back. Only Supermoto racers. No Corporate events. No kart rentals. No private karts. No track maintenance.
2. Revisit the cost of practice. I can race most tracks for the cost of practicing at MMP.
3. During lunch or after each Race Round have "open Supermoto riding" (not for racers, but just for those who want to give it a try.) This will allow friends/on-lookers to try supermoto while already at the track. Use the MMP Honda 150's for race bikes. Require basic safety gear.
4. Start promoting Supermoto. Many of us can give you suggestions.
5. Get contingency money from the manufacturers.
6. Pay 100% of the pro entry fees back to the winning pro racers.
7. Have Dealer promotion days at the track.
8. Have low cost track days (free or $10.00) for motocross racers to try the sport by using sportsman type race tires. Have the tire guys do the tire swaps at the track.
9. Have a goal of having 100 SM Racers by the end of next season. Do what it takes to get there. Each current racer needs to bring out just three or four new racers.
10. Remember we are all heavily invested in the sport ($10,000 to $20,000 can be the basic start up costs). It is in all of our interests to grow the sport. :clap:

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Mitch,

First of all I want to thank you for requesting feedback on the Supermoto program at MMP. I honestly believe that with a few tweeks here and there, combined with the facility you already have, that MMP will have the premier Supermoto program in the country.

A fellow racer and I have been brainstorming ideas that we want to share with MMP. Instead of posting the ideas here in this forum, I think it would be much more effective to meet with the MMP staff in person. I also wanted to add a third person to our brainstorming team, and based on the previous post I think I may have found that person.

I'll contact Kellie soon to see if we can set something up.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
Mitch,

First of all I want to thank you for requesting feedback on the Supermoto program at MMP. I honestly believe that with a few tweaks here and there, combined with the facility you already have, that MMP will have the premier Supermoto program in the country.

A fellow racer and I have been brainstorming ideas that we want to share with MMP. Instead of posting the ideas here in this forum, I think it would be much more effective to meet with the MMP staff in person. I also wanted to add a third person to our brainstorming team, and based on the previous post I think I may have found that person.

I'll contact Kellie soon to see if we can set something up.

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Have you guys tried running Junction? I think combining events with nearby clubs and showing up to them would be an effective way of promoting SM in Utah. I know myself, being based in Colorado there are quite a few of us here that would be interested in running at Utah. The track there looks great and the dirt looks rideable. :laughingr

I would be more than happy to help as I plan to attend your next event.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My question is do we need to revisit running on MoM weekends?

Any ideas on how to get the word out to potential SM racers to come get the sport a try?

weekends are good for me. I'm a total noob, but I got the bug a couple weeks ago riding a buddy's bike around the track (MMP) on a friday afternoon. We had the track to ourselves. It was amazing! I couldn't believe that one could have that much fun.
I'm also a standard 9-5 worker who could take off early to go practice for an afternoon (I'm currently building up a bike... all I need now is tires). but weekends would work better for racing. again, I'm totally new to this, but I'm mostly speaking out of personal interest and for most of my friends who I could see getting into the sport (this is my diabolical plan!). Weekends would be easier for them as well.

Another thing. Is there a set day people go out to practice? I live in salt lake and would like to head out when other people are out there.... I think MMP has open practices monday and friday. I would be cool if there was a planned practice day during the week (or even during non-race weekends) when you know people are going to be out there riding.

just my 0.5 cents.

Jeff.

·
Registered
20 Posts
suggestions

Here's a post I put up on the Utahsba supermoto forum in this regard:

"Having not attended the first two round of the season I can't comment on the fun factor, etc., but I would think that exposure to the road race guys could be important, but could also cause conflicts in participation schedules. Obviously Taz made it work, but I would imagine it wasn't easy. The whole Saturday thing also raised some issues with folks that had to work and were unable to attend.

I don't think we should expect to be pulling from the MOM ranks to fill our supemoto grids, but the exposure might open a few minds to the fun and benifits of cross-training on a SuMo--possibly increasing SuMo grid size, but also growing the test and tune days, and maybe future regulated SuMo track days (something that might get more of those street-tards out on the track and eventually racing).

Obviously a few great minds would have to come together to totally nail the marketing plan, but in my observation if you're looking for exposure to MOM racers, a thought might be to run an abbreviated schedule that takes place during the MOM lunch break. The SMRI does this and I can say it really opened my eyes to SuMo--the road guys had an hour to kill, so we'd all just grab our lunch and watch the SuMo guys do their thing. It surely beat sitting in the tent staring at your bike. My road race bike kept getting heavier and more expensive after every time I watched those dudes until, finally I bought a SuMo and gave it a shot.

OK, so by an abreviated schedule I mean short and sweet, warm up for the first half, race the second (run what ya' brung over one or two classes to maximize grid size for a good show). That way, the Kart center can pay the bills with the rental kart thing for most of the day and we get to expose SuMo to the MOM guys when they're just chiling and not rushing around trying to make 3rd call. Also, these races, since they're sort of odd-ball in their schedule could have lower entry fees and not be counted for championship points (although it would be nice to get contingency)--almost like an exhibition, and since none of us are making a living off of Miller SuMo racing all of our races are like exhibitions anyway. Think of these as a couple bonus races to the regular season.

There. Some talking points for you. Please discuss. Now as soon as my body cooperates and stops getting hurt, I can't wait to see everyone out there.

Cheers,
-jerry"

·
Registered
41 Posts
Monday would work since I usually try to make that work for test and tune anyways. It might also get more of those who work in the M/C shops out since Monday's tend to be the free day out.

Cheers,

Glen

·
Registered
1 Posts
What are the odds of getting some manufacturer contingency money? Is there any purse money? What classes could someone starting out on a 450 enter in?

·
Registered
239 Posts
As a newbie to the MMP supermoto thing, I feel like I might have a better outsider looking in opinion than some of the guys who have been doing it for a couple of years, and while I certainly don't have all the answers, here are a couple of things that bother me...

1. The practice sessions are expensive. I ride many of the Apex and MMP track days on the big track, and I understand the costs involved there, but I can't justify it for the amount of track support we get for supermoto practice days. Honestly I think that it is ridiculous to think that a guy with limited means is going to dump $1,500 and up in his MX bike to convert it and then cough up $35 ($25 for members after the membership buy in) to practice. I mean I can ride my MX bike all day at the Desert Peak track for $10 bucks, and I don't share my time with the Kart boys... :eek:

2. On that note, mixing with the Kart guys sucks. Sorry, but that's how I feel. Why do we have to practice the same day(s) they are? Maybe I'm missing something and as I'm new that's entirely possible, but it seems like there are enough days in the week for us to have our own practice sessions and for the amount we are paying, I would like to have free reign of the course.

3. Last but not least and certainly my big pet peave, I find the race class system and the controls of who enters those classes a little lacking. You guys may argue with me, but as a true novice (someone who has seriously ridden on the track less than six times and on two different bikes no less), it is frustrating to see guys entering the Novice class and then running lap times which fall in the middle of the intermediate group. Again many of you might just call this whining, but sand bagging to get a plastic trophy is not helping bring out new guys to the track, and my guess is it's probably not improving your skill sets as a rider either. Even in the short time I've been racing, I've already seen an example of one guy who was so frustrated by this that he has quit riding - Not good.

Now keep in mind I don't claim to have all the answers for how to do this, and I realize that moving people to the intermediate group from the novice group will create a smaller novice group. But in my opinion this is a good thing as guys who are trying to figure things out (like me), will get much less frustrated by scary passes and the fear of holding up faster riders (especially in the dirt), and will be able to improve their skills while riding with guys of similar skill levels. I honestly look forward to the day I feel like I'm ready to move up a class, and I'm certaily not going to get upset if someone comes to me and says, "look you're just too fast for that class and we need to move you".

To end my rant (sorry), I would like to thank everyone who helps to put the events on. I'm sure it's a ton of of work, and even with the flaws, it's a lot of fun and has certainly been a great way to spend a weekend or two for me... :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts