SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to consolidating down to my trackbike (My SV) and a supermoto.

I've never really ridden dirt, though, and want to give it a shot as well as the supermoto thing, to help me get more comfortable with sliding the bike, stay in shape, etc. Judging from browsing the "What makes the best street tard" thread, i'm looking for a husky. Not afraid of having to do maintenence, I've always maintained my own bikes, and i want something that i can ride in the dirt on saturday and then swap wheels and track on sunday. Is this completely unrealistic?

Also, what huskys should I be looking at? I couldn't find anything that clearly listed what the differences between the years are...would a 410 be ok? What about a 2000 510? Any place that would explain or list the different huskys over the years would be great. Apparently...TC is apparently offroad only, TE is road legal offroad, and SM is supermoto. 450-510-610? How hard will it be to find parts?

I'm looking in the 2-4k range. I could go higher, and I'm fine with laying out 4k for the bike and then doing the sumo conversion myself after a little while. Thoughts, advice, should i be looking at the KTMs or something else instead? Doesn't have to be street legal but it'd be really, really nice....I'm in Cali, though, so i understand if that's not doable.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
well i am far from a expert on huskys but ill give ya my 2 cents. the smr is a killer bike period. ask anyone who has owned one. i almost bought a smr450 but i learned that the 450 is a rev machine. not so much street friendy compared to it's counterpart the smr 510. same motor but a bit more displacement. the 610 i cant comment on but i view it as more highway\ streetbike than the 510. i think the 450 te and 510 te are the same as the smr's except for the wheels. i could be wrong. i really wish i had bought a 510 when i was buying my first sm. im gonna catch shit for that. two of my friends have them. they love them and i get to borrow an 06 from time to time. cruizes 65 no problem and nice medium revs. yet a slight slip of the clutch in 3rd will send the front tire up in the air without any effort. they back it in real nice esp with a nice stm installed. maintance is a breeze with a little reading and getting to know your bike. thats the nice thing about forums. you can bet if you have a problem someone has had the same problem and always willing to help out. i would suggest getting the 510 smr and selling the sv. you will never ride it again after the supermoto anyway. lol and take that money a get ya a dirtbike if you have the itch. food for thought i hope this helps a little.

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=51636
this would really start you off on ther RIGHT foot

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i am far from a expert on huskys but ill give ya my 2 cents. the smr is a killer bike period. ask anyone who has owned one. i almost bought a smr450 but i learned that the 450 is a rev machine. not so much street friendy compared to it's counterpart the smr 510. same motor but a bit more displacement. the 610 i cant comment on but i view it as more highway\ streetbike than the 510. i think the 450 te and 510 te are the same as the smr's except for the wheels. i could be wrong. i really wish i had bought a 510 when i was buying my first sm. im gonna catch shit for that. two of my friends have them. they love them and i get to borrow an 06 from time to time. cruizes 65 no problem and nice medium revs. yet a slight slip of the clutch in 3rd will send the front tire up in the air without any effort. they back it in real nice esp with a nice stm installed. maintance is a breeze with a little reading and getting to know your bike. thats the nice thing about forums. you can bet if you have a problem someone has had the same problem and always willing to help out. i would suggest getting the 510 smr and selling the sv. you will never ride it again after the supermoto anyway. lol and take that money a get ya a dirtbike if you have the itch. food for thought i hope this helps a little.

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?t=51636
this would really start you off on ther RIGHT foot
Well, the SV is a track/race bike only, so it's not going anywhere. Thanks for the advice though! What i really need is someone to tell me the difference between the Huskys (Ok, same engines, 450/510, regardless of TC/TE/SM) but what about the wheels? Are they a direct swap between the bikes? What about brakes?

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
I would assume they are the same if in not mistaken the 510 and the 450 are the same except for the minor difference between motors. so you could get a 510 smr and a set of te wheels and be good to go. it woud be way cheaper to buy the smr and te wheels than vice versa

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would assume they are the same if in not mistaken the 510 and the 450 are the same except for the minor difference between motors. so you could get a 510 smr and a set of te wheels and be good to go. it woud be way cheaper to buy the smr and te wheels than vice versa
It seems from my craigslist searches in my local area that the offroad bikes are a lot more common and cheaper, especially the older ones (99-2002). Is there anything that i need to look out for on the older ones? Potential incompatabilities, stuff like that? I'm in california, so street plated bikes hold their value incredibly well, and most of the SM's are going for 5k+.

·
Registered
116 Posts
From what I understand, the 510 is a stroked 450 so it will rev a little slower, but produce more torque (perfect for the street). Other than that, the bikes are identical.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
From what I understand, the 510 is a stroked 450 so it will rev a little slower, but produce more torque (perfect for the street). Other than that, the bikes are identical.
Hey Skeletor!

Cool, good to know. I guess i'll be on the lookout for a cheap, older 510, and eventually dig up some 17s for it. Unless, of course, someone has a reason I should stay away from the earlier Huskys?

Thanks guys, you've helped out quite a bit :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts