SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
stock is 32-34mm
stock part numbers:
7650113103301 GABELBRÜCKE UNTEN 32-34 VERS.
7650113403301 GABELBRÜCKE OBEN 32-34 VERS.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yeah, you don't want to reduce the offset on the SMC. It already has too much trail. If anything, I'd like to try a 36-38 combo. Somehow I don't think they are going to make one.

·
Registered
696 Posts
FYI, We measured the SMC to have 108mm of trail. That's pretty lazy geometry compared to a sportbike, or especially a dirtbike based sumo. Without the leading axle, we are in totally different territory offset wise than a dirt based model.

95-100mm of trail would make the SMC a bit more nimble. To achieve that you need MORE offset, not less...

FWIW, I think the SMC is a bit too stable and slow steering. It takes effort to change directions at speed.

For a point of comparison, a 560 SMR with the 10mm triples is telepathic in how it chages direction, no matter the speed. I'm not sure what the trail measures out to, but it must be around 90-95mm.

·
Registered
859 Posts
FYI, We measured the SMC to have 108mm of trail. That's pretty lazy geometry compared to a sportbike, or especially a dirtbike based sumo. Without the leading axle, we are in totally different territory offset wise than a dirt based model.

95-100mm of trail would make the SMC a bit more nimble. To achieve that you need MORE offset, not less...

FWIW, I think the SMC is a bit too stable and slow steering. It takes effort to change directions at speed.

For a point of comparison, a 560 SMR with the 10mm triples is telepathic in how it chages direction, no matter the speed. I'm not sure what the trail measures out to, but it must be around 90-95mm.
paab - do you know what offset the bike comes setup with from the crate, 32 or 34? I assume you are.running it at 34. Did you need to change it?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I believe it comes set at 34. That's where I have it. No change necessary. I swapped it to try, but swapped it back. I think the 108mm figure was measured with it set at 32, but I can't be sure.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I agree that the smc is lazy steering, I slide my tubes up in the triples 20mm, bike steers nice and quick and is still stable, plus it puts a little extra weight on the front end which is a plus. I'm running 12mm on my 560 and the thing turns crazy fast but it's for small track point and shoot riding.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yeah, the front needs weight for sure, but when I went past 18mm or so of fork height I lost traction in the rear.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Bringing this back from the dead.

I've just acquired a 08 690 E that I'm working up for Street tard + fire road duty. With the E forks offset mount for the axle and lesser offset triples it's got a good bit less trail than the SMC.

Anyone else with an E go to the 7650119903504 33/35 tiples? Or does this result in instability from too little trail?

Or Anyone else with an E change up the geometry by sliding the forks up a bit with positive results?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts