SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, So, just a curiosity thing.. I ride a DRZSM. I was on my way home from work earlier and got caught in some severe rainstorms for about 15 min of riding. I got home and my new air filter had arrived so i started dismantling the bike to install it and realize that my airfilter is soaking wet with water.... Umm.. this cant be good. or is it normal?... it kindof has me worried because i ride a lot in the rain and take a lot of joyrides through creeks and streams. So is this something i should worry about or anything i can do to prevent?. just curious/paranoid

Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
Have you cut the airbox? On my Dr I cut the airbox and my filter will get a little wet riding in heavy rains or if I'm splashing around the trails.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i've done the 3x3 mod

i mean ive rode in heavy rains like that before and im sure it has to of got wet during times of running through streams. i just never noticed. so it just freaked me out a lil bit

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
You should worry about it if the airbox is going to get soaked. Most of the time, if the airbox is not soaked, the water either gets caught in the filter (which it's supposed to do) or gets atomized in the carb, so it's not horrible. And the airbox should have a drain, so most of the water will drain out.

If you're really worried about it, keep some duct tape around and tape up all but the basic opening on the airbox. That's what we do in motocross. Tape everything but the very basic air intake and the drain.

Transworld MX had an article about this: http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/how_to/article/0,13190,1180110,00.html

Remember, this is prep for a race bike, but you'll get the idea.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The most similar thing that happended to me is when my bike is parked and it rains (only happend like 3 times) when I start it she's kinda not responding so well, but it wen't off after couple minutes riding

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ride motocross enduro alot, in the mountains in colorado,
We use washable air filters. I use Moose brand very nice construction and large. Also very important air filter oil examlpe "PJ1" the filters are not meant to be used with out oil.

In one run on your dirt bike you can be a mud bogger, a jet ski, a snow mobile, fianly a MXer.

Filter oils are import I have been deep in cold colorado white water crossings repededly.

Be ready on your kill switch in case you lose it, I bent a connecting rod that way about 25 years ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts