SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I just bought my bike and its basically new I would like some feedback on the stock tires. The good,the bad or whatever you know ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I ride the track....so for me, the stock Dunlop's didnt provide enough grip.
I think it would be fine for a novice street rider.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I find them a pretty good street tire, I have never used them on a track. They take a while to heat up so you have to be slightly careful when your first start out. The next tire i will be triing is the contiforce sm from contentail, I have read the it is a solid tire.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I've ridden with them on both the street and the track.
Both of the above statements are true.
For me, I thought they gave good feedback when hot and slippery, but traction went away big time. They are pretty good in the rain.
For the replacement cost, there are better tires out there for the same price or cheaper.
Run them into the ground and make your decision from there.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
I personally dont think there are any pro's with the stock tires, they are hard and slippery if you ask me. I believe they are sport touring tires or something crazy like that.

PS might be okay for street use but watch on the track, I tried them once and it was like being on ice.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
They are fine on the street riding @ 90+% of your ability. I didn't really notice any street shortcomings w/ them until later in the fall when the road temps. started dropping, then they were pretty slick & spooky. When it's hot, they stick pretty well, and give decent feedback. In other words, if you ride like you have any sense at all on the street, they will be fine until they are worn.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I rode them on the track and on the street.
On the street, they were half decent until you really pushed them.
But once it got cold out...forget it, i actually had to keep checking my rear tire thinking it was going flat...it was all over the place
On the track they were...ehh...not too impressive.
I slid them a few times that came unexpectedly and it really got in to my head.

FWIW, i just ordered ContiForce SM's based on a lot of opinions here, so I'm looking forward to testing them at down at Deals Gap in June.

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
FWIW, i just ordered ContiForce SM's based on a lot of opinions here, so I'm looking forward to testing them at down at Deals Gap in June.
The contis are 100 times better :thumbup: BUT make sure you get the softer ones.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
But once it got cold out...forget it, i actually had to keep checking my rear tire thinking it was going flat...it was all over the place
Exactly the sensation I experienced. Me and the guy I was riding w/ (both on SM's w/ stock Dunlops) thought we were getting flats on the rear.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Have ridden both street and track on my stock 208SM's. I am not a fan of Dunlops, but aside from the weak grip when cold I cannot fault them. They stick well on the track and are predictable. The only time they let me down was when cold. For some reason the first couple of guys out for my race at E-town decided to short cut the track on the warmup lap and the rest of us followed like lemmings. I spun the rear exiting a slow corner on the start of the second lap(when the tyre would have been fine if I had taken a full warmup lap), and low sided. But it was my fault for not taking a warmup lap and asking too much too soon. All was well though, as I picked up and was off hardly losing any time and passing everybody that got by as I was picking up the bike.
I say listen to yourself. If you like them, keep them. Tyres are like ice cream. Everybody has their favorite flavor. What someone else likes does not matter.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Conti raod attack's !!

I have conti's on my zrx and they work great,would never change them on that bike !:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
the stock 208SM tires are really bad. i must talk to 2 or 3 DRZ owners alone a day who all bitch about their tires. you'll burn through them in just a couple thousand miles. look up the Conti Force. we stock them in the SM variety. also, make sure you stay away from faster rated street tires like pilot powers, etc. which won't have the grip and won't get to optimal heat cycle due to the low speed and low weight of the bike. You can use the Contis on the street and track pretty successfully for beginner classes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thats really the reason i wanted to try the conti's, faster warm up times.
Also, i've read that they are better designed for the lower hp bikes...like our monster power DRZ's....lol
funny thing is i was lapping guys at pocono east on the stockers even with the sliding, i can't wait to give these a try

any pluses of going to the 150 over the 140 for any tire type?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts