SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The aim of this project is to have a Supermoto setup dirtbike that I could ride daily and have that "Fun" factor.
It all started with a Frame. I got a good deal from ebay for a 2003 CRF450R Frame. and also the fuel tank. At this time I have no idea on what engine to use for this build.

After having this frame and searching for inspiration, I found TAFFYMOTO's CR500AF build and decide that this is the look that I want to make for my build.

So the parts gathering begins.

Got the rear Shock

And then the subframe

The Swing arm

The seat

went overseas and do some plastics body shopping since its not easy finding parts here.

and after looking around for an engine, I decided to bought myself a 2011 WR250X engine for my birthday. Got it from friend of a friend. Complete with wiring and switches.

Went home right away and try to align the engine to the frame to see how it would look after fitted.

Tried to fit the engine to the frame myself, and I FAILED :hmmm:

Here's the simulated image for this bike.

More parts coming in, this time the front forks assembly and brakes.

and one of my favorite part, I got a really good deal on this Akrapovic can. Originally for KTM250. Still in good condition.

Bought a new rims 3.50 Front and 4.25 Rear. Fit it with new Avon Distanzia 120-70 and 150-60. with KX250 hub (because the CRF has 32 hole hub. I need the 36 hole), Vortex 47T rear gear. (I lost the pictures of the wheelset being build. Still looking for it. Will update soon)

At this point, I have to move the build process to my friends' garage. Its time to fit the engine.

They did manage to fit the engine into the frame. but at this point, we were unable to align the engine mount axle with the swing arm axle.

Meanwhile I have my own home project on restoring the Akrapovic Titanium can. Cleaning it and give it a new stickers.

Oversized 320mm Moto Master for the front disc brake.

After a while, finally got the alignment for the engine and swing arm axle.

But, there's a new problem. the front engine mount got no clearance with the engine cradle..no other choice but to cut and make a custom bottom engine cradle.

Cut it off.

After curving the bottom frame cradle a little bit, the bottom frame cradle are welded back on, and the engine fits and sits nicely.

Moving on, The standard fuel tank are not build for an injection engine. Because it has No Fuel Pump inserts. So fuel tank custom fabrication are needed. This is the aluminum fuel tank fabrication. Inspired by the 2013 Suzuki RMZ aluminium tank

This is the reference tank from FrankMX parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Aluminium Fuel tank Fitted to the frame.

Its time to put all the puzzle altogether and start the engine. Wiring is a bit difficult because the WR250X has so many sensors and electric parts. And all we have is just the wiring diagram from the Service manual. So it takes time to being able to hear the bike starts.

But eventually we got her to start and scream.

Time for some Powder Coating. I decided to get a semi flat solid black for the Frame, Subframe and Swing arm.

Added Hel brake hose for the front and rear Brembo brakes. Choose red for the accent color.

Here's the first test ride video.

Finally got the bike home.

Turns out that I Definitely need a kickstand for daily rides. So I bought the Trail Tech Kickstand for CRF450R. Cut the bottom of the kickstand to adjust it for this supermoto setup.

Still lots of stuff to be done. Stay tuned for more updates.

Next :
Some custom Graphics, Blings and accesories.

Updates on the custom graphic kit :

Thanks Guys. Safe Ride.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Good god! That was unexpected. So the only problem you guys ran into was having to modify the bottom rails? Looks like it sits perfectly in there.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
yup, regarding the fitment of the engine to the frame, thats the only major problem we had.
Nice! How's the clearance between the frame and the valve cover? I have a WR250X and when I did my valve check a few weeks back, I had a hell of a time maneuvering the valve cover out of the frame so I could get to the valves. Just wondering if there may be some benefits to the frame swap.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Wow what an interesting build. I love it! Have you by any chance weighed it? it would be cool to see the weight compared to a stock wr250x.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice! How's the clearance between the frame and the valve cover? I have a WR250X and when I did my valve check a few weeks back, I had a hell of a time maneuvering the valve cover out of the frame so I could get to the valves. Just wondering if there may be some benefits to the frame swap.
I think its pretty tight clearance also between the frame and the valve cover. But if I remove the gas tank, I think I will have a good space to remove the valve cover. Because its a different kind of frame between WR250X and CRF450R. But I wouldn't know until I try to remove the valve cover. I'll let you know when its time to do valve checking.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
nice project. i'm surprised you put a street legal engine in a not street legal frame though. usually folks want to do the opposite.

hows it ride ?
what's it weigh ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you guys.

The ride feels light. It still feels like a dirt bike. Balance is good and it didn't feel like a big bike. So far so good.
About the weight, I need to update you guys later on. Haven't got the chance on weighing the bike yet. But hopefully soon guys.
Patience is a virtue :D

Here's some updates on the custom Graphic Kit. Enjoy..

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Very nice. IMO, this is what the project build thread is for. Some guys post up build threads where they add a slip on exhaust, stickers and new grips. :headscrat Piecing together a functional machine with parts from different bikes is a build. Not to mention that aluminium tank. Nice!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts