SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this bike used. It started life as a 2002 crf450. It is plated street legal in CA. Someone already tarded it out with wheels and brakes. It was ridden hard and put away wet. I came to its rescue. It ran like crap and needed a lot of stuff to make it road ready. I am building it for my brother who wanted one just like mine that I got 6 months earlier. Mine is also a 2002 plated crf. This is my first post on sm junkie so bare with me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I tore it apart only to find out it need a valve job, timing chain, bottom end rebuild and lots of other little stuff in the motor. Needed stator flywheel........ bottom line $2000 in just the motor :eek:
C.T. racing did all the work. He has built me 2 other motors and they run like champs.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Not surprising about the valves, the early Honda 450 valve seat material was garabage and they ate intake valves. Did u put stainless ones in when u had the head redone?

I like the balance between the black and aluminum frame and swingarm. IMO I think if you polished the $hit out of the frame and swingarm it would really set it off!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Everything was cake in grime and oil. Looks like it was never cleaned or maintained. Some simple green fixed all that. The rear shock had some miles on it
t

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

The wheels had some chain rub so Dr. John cleaned the up for me and they are as good as new. Ready for the powder coater.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did some test coats with some pj1 motor paint. It looks good and almost matches the powder coating. Everything cant be baked so this will fill in the gaps.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not surprising about the valves, the early Honda 450 valve seat material was garabage and they ate intake valves. Did u put stainless ones in when u had the head redone?

I like the balance between the black and aluminum frame and swingarm. IMO I think if you polished the $hit out of the frame and swingarm it would really set it off!
I did go with s.s. valves just to be safe. ct did a five angle job on them and installed new guilds I am 75% done with it but just now starting the thread. I will post pics up as fast as I can.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts