SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i searched far and wide for a good rim cleaner that wont hurt powdercoat. im talkin a chain grease, burnt tire buggers and all other crap cleaner. im dealing with a white wheel with a new chain and a 5" rim that grinded a little tire off... :hmmm:

·
Registered
310 Posts
I thought powdercoating was pretty durable? I always use the alcohol parts cleaner we have at work. I've also used brake cleaner and carb cleaner with nothing bad happening. All of these get rid of chain grease pretty good. I guess try whatever you have on a small spot first.:hmmm:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I have been using simple green and a dish washing brush for about 10 years with no problems on all wheels (except polished, uncoated aluminum wheels, don't use it on them).

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
i clean all the greasy stuff with motorex chain clean.it takes off grease in one swipe.i clean my powdercoated wheels and even painted parts with it with no harm.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Simple green and a soft rag.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nice! thanks for the input guys. im gonna try simple green then the motorex stuff if it doesnt work. the chain grease is pretty thick stuff.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
with the simple green, its pretty safe to use for washing, but be sure to rinse it away completely.. it can eventually effect some finishes if left on for a long time.
if you have polished alum anything on the bike, avoid getting it on there.. it will 'etch' it and leave spots.....

so other then being careful of polished stuff, and rinsing it well.... its great stuff to use, i clean all my bikes with it when they get really nasty.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've used Simple Green on the bikes for 10 years now and it gets all the ShTUFF off. I use a soft bristle brush and watch the wax, bugs, and lube just melt away. Do not use Super Clean that ruined a set of kawi rims for me. Had to strip and re-powder coat em. I never leave the Simple Green on very long and only spray the areas I can get scrubbed and rinsed in a short amount of time. Don't spray and walk away!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I use WD40 and an old sock.... going on 8 years with no problems.
Spray WD40 on rim wipe off with old sock... super simple and no mess or rinse.

:bike:

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
This stuff works great:

Spray it on, wipe it off. I've never had it damage anything, but I wouldn't let it sit on paint for too long. You can get it at Dollar Tree in spray bottles.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
doodz! wd40 is the ticket. i sprayed some on a towel and like you guys said it melts the crap away. i tweaked out and cleaned the whole bike (1st real cleaning), motor and all. now the bike looks like it rolled off the showroom floor. thanks fellas...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts