SuperMoto Junkie banner

721 - 739 of 739 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts

This used to be my pit bike when I raced RS125's in USGPRU and I would do some mini flat tracks but on a whim I decided to do a 6-hour endurance race with the SFRC months ago and it's been a long few weeks trying to prep this into an actual race bike. The brakes were the addition after doing a practice and discovering that the "go kart" track is actually really fast with a fast straight. I found a rotor from a Triumph 955 and then bought a CR250 caliper off eBay and machined the bracket. Two finger stoppies are a huge improvement of the CR85 brakes.

I've added a flatslide and rev box as well to the Takegawa 120 kit but we'll still be way down on power to the other bikes that are 250's - we'll hope to make it up with corner speed, brakes and some luck.

Gregor

·
Registered
43 Posts

This used to be my pit bike when I raced RS125's in USGPRU and I would do some mini flat tracks but on a whim I decided to do a 6-hour endurance race with the SFRC months ago and it's been a long few weeks trying to prep this into an actual race bike. The brakes were the addition after doing a practice and discovering that the "go kart" track is actually really fast with a fast straight. I found a rotor from a Triumph 955 and then bought a CR250 caliper off eBay and machined the bracket. Two finger stoppies are a huge improvement of the CR85 brakes.

I've added a flatslide and rev box as well to the Takegawa 120 kit but we'll still be way down on power to the other bikes that are 250's - we'll hope to make it up with corner speed, brakes and some luck.

Gregor

Ok that thing is amazing, we need you to make its own thread with the build info and the results from racing it. Love it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok that thing is amazing, we need you to make its own thread with the build info and the results from racing it. Love it.
I don't know that it warrants a thread but I'll post a few more photos here. I have a custom made Kolb Racing frame that I'll eventually build up and that will warrant a thread but how about a few more photos? Here it is when I first built it up as my pit bike and it was clean:

The base bike is an older XR100 and years ago it was used as a pit bike at Bonneville by friends who rinsed the salt off but didn't really wash it. I then moved to Portland and lack of garage space meant the bike sat outside until it was rusted solid. SAD! It nonetheless kicked over and so I swapped the supermoto wheels on and began just pulling every fastener and bead blasting them one at a time. I should have pulled the motor but didn't have time. The rims are faded and need to be rebuilt and are a sad reminder of East Coast Wheels who were awful on every level.

Here's some specs of my xr100 Supermoto:

• Takegawa 120 kit
  • BBR rev box
  • Mikuni 26mm flat slide
  • Triumph 955 320 disk
  • CR250 twin piston caliper and master
  • custom breather box
  • BBR swingarm
  • BBR full exhaust (wrapped because the salt rusted it)
  • CR85 forks
  • Works Shock
  • BBR frame cradle
  • Custom sliders all around
  • Dunlop soft slicks
  • 17" Excell Rims
  • K&N filter
  • CRF body work in black with BBR graphics

Sadly we didn't finish the race. The rims were sealed for tubeless using an old method (silicone) and the rear was leaking. I repaired it with silicone which held fine but about 4 hours into the race the rim developed a slow leak which then became a fast leak. We were in 5th place against a field of Ninja 300's which was respectable since we had one third the power but once the leak sprang we just kept dropping as we had to keep coming in for air. Here's a shot of Nobi Iso who was on our team:

Brakes are too good! It's fun to be able to do one finger stoppies however. Handling was much improved with 90mm of 20wt fork oil but when I redo it I'll swap it to 15wt. I'd also like to find a better damped shock. Who makes a small Ohlins that could fit?

As I mentioned I have a custom frame that I was planning on swapping everything over to. It's a beautiful copy of a Ron Wood twin cradle flat track frame sized for an adult but using the XR100 engine and built by Scott Kolb. Considering how much I may have to remake I'm really only an engine away from a second bike so I may leave this as is and build the bike up as a second bike.

Gregor

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just put these avons on the stock XR80R wheels! You don't see very many sumo's here in Morgantown and no mini sumo's! I'm super happy with it so far! Don't mind the terrible plastics. Those will be replaced soon enough! Then exhaust and bore up to 120cc ??

Also, not too worried about how grippy or great the tires are, I don't race and really just putt around town and wheelie the thing in lots. Maybe eventually I'll turn it into a racer. We'll see!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nice Bernan! Mine will be next to post.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm afraid it's iffy. Jeremiah's new puppy got sick and he had to take it to an emergency vet hospital, so he couldn't work on the bike last night. Plus, he's been hammered at work, worked his day-off...Hopefully we can get it done tonight, I wouldn't hold your breath. Meanwhile I'm starving myself to death, I haven't worn my race leathers in a couple months, tried them on and I gained some weight....yikes! Barely got them zipped and that's the larger suit of two. I like ice cream! Dammit!

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'm afraid it's iffy. Jeremiah's new puppy got sick and he had to take it to an emergency vet hospital, so he couldn't work on the bike last night. Plus, he's been hammered at work, worked his day-off...Hopefully we can get it done tonight, I wouldn't hold your breath. Meanwhile I'm starving myself to death, I haven't worn my race leathers in a couple months, tried them on and I gained some weight....yikes! Barely got them zipped and that's the larger suit of two. I like ice cream! Dammit!
LMAO!!!
Lets see how much u and him can finish tonight. If it's something minor especially for the wheels, u can bring over to my home to tomorrow morning and I will help u out or even at the track. Anyway, keep me post ;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Took the new CRF1150R SuperMini to Apex. Met up with Bernan, had a great time.

Here's a brief clip, shot on my crappy phone, didn't take the GoPros.

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this forum doesn't get a lot of action but that's just the way it is with mini's - no respect! Anyway, I have been putting a lot of work into my latest XR100 to pursue racing in the Mad Dog flat track classes. While I didn't do a build thread on it per se I am doing a little video series on YouTube. It's my first foray into video so go in with low expectations.

Anyway, here's some photos of the bike - I'm not quite done but it's close.

The only thing that was left from the original XR100 is the cases and the transmission gears. My friend Scott Kolb built the Ron Wood replica frame and I did the rest of the fabrication. It's CR85 front and rear (the back uses the XR shock and linkage but heavily modified) and the subframe is stainless along with the rear brake. The first shots show it after it's first race but I needed to make a much larger rear brake for it so that's the last shot. It's running a Kitaco 145SE racing setup and Lectron 28mm carb. The kick start has been removed as it's useless with the compression it's running but it bumps pretty easily in third. It wheelies on the throttle in the first three gears but we haven't gotten it on the dyno yet (damn Cornona virus) but should be making around 18-20rwhp. It weighs 148lbs wet.

It's a lot of fun. Anyway, I figured the dozen or so hard core mini racers here might appreciate seeing it.

Gregor

image.jpeg

·
Registered
818 Posts
Old thread restored! The mini I'm on right now is a street based Z125 Pro, Here's a little video.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Built during winter and quarantine. Ready to go!

Attachments

721 - 739 of 739 Posts