SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sometimes the bike pops out of second gear and into neutral if im on the gas hard. whats the deal? could it be clutch or something? or something wrong tranny wise. or maybe my foot nugged the shifter on accident.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
sometimes the bike pops out of second gear and into neutral if im on the gas hard. whats the deal? could it be clutch or something? or something wrong tranny wise. or maybe my foot nugged the shifter on accident.
last time i had a bike throw out of gear, it was due to a shift fork being bent and/or the gear snags being ground down, causing it to slip / tug

Does it tug ( like hit what feels like neutral for a sec then engages the gear again) or just completely thrown out of gear ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its an 04 625 smc like i can shift into second and mash on the gass again and ittle pull for about a quarter second then whaaaaa neutral. the bike does it intermittently

·
Registered
351 Posts
its an 04 625 smc like i can shift into second and mash on the gass again and ittle pull for about a quarter second then whaaaaa neutral. the bike does it intermittently

That used to happen to my CBR900, it was was doing the 1-2 quick shift on a wheely. Now I start wheelys in 2nd........

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm so anybody had this happen before? what could it be?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gotcha. ill have to plan some time to pull the motor and rip the tranny apart. Ive rebuild several borg warner t5's and some c4 autos outa old mustangs but i have no experience with these guys. can anyone recomend a good shop manual?

·
Registered
401 Posts
gotcha. ill have to plan some time to pull the motor and rip the tranny apart. Ive rebuild several borg warner t5's and some c4 autos outa old mustangs but i have no experience with these guys. can anyone recomend a good shop manual?
You can get the KTM shop manual on CD-ROM from a dealer, or order it online from ktm-parts or Munn Racing. It's pretty comprehensive.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've got an 04 smc too, It does the same thing. But I think it's because when I quick shift into second I don't quite pull the gear lever up enough and it slips out, I adjusted my shifter down a couple teeth now it doesn't happen near as often.

·
Registered
696 Posts
It's likley the engagement dogs wearing. You don't actually need to replace anything. All you need to do is undercut the dogs. This can be done by hand with a file. You simply chamfer the mating surfaces 2-3 degrees. This causes the dogs to "pull" the gears together for positive shifts everytime. A real racebike will have undercut dogs from the factory. Hmmm... ready to race?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts