SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Here is my 2001 XR650R. I am having abnormal chain wear. The wheels are 17” Warp 9’s. My axle block adjuster is even on both sides. Prior to installing the Warp 9’s, I had no noticeably abnormal chain or sprocket issues on stock wheels. Besides the new wheels (which come with new Warp 9 spacers) and new rear sprocket, nothing has been changed.

PICTURES: http://imgur.com/a/A3TNo

My gut instinct is that the spacers for the rear wheel are incorrect in size, possibly pushing the wheel too far to the left side of the bike, thus causing wear on the “inside” of the chain.

Thanks for your help! A little nervous about figuring this out.

·
Registered
914 Posts
For one, replace your front sprocket, that thing has a serious case of hook tooth.

Take the chain off place a straight edge on the flat of the rear sprocket and see it aligns with the front sprocket by sighting down it or use a cheap laser pointer if you have one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For one, replace your front sprocket, that thing has a serious case of hook tooth.

Take the chain off place a straight edge on the flat of the rear sprocket and see it aligns with the front sprocket by sighting down it or use a cheap laser pointer if you have one.
Thanks! Any recommendations of sprocket manufacturer?

If things aren't aligned.. what's the first step?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Just saying the metal particles should be suspended in some type of lubricant. Appears that chain is lacking lube of any kind. Don't know if you cleaned the chain for dramatic effect or not.

·
Registered
374 Posts
You should probably get a chain alignment tool.

The notches on the swingarm absolutely can be wrong, and are wrong, on pretty much every bike I've owned.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should probably get a chain alignment tool.

The notches on the swingarm absolutely can be wrong, and are wrong, on pretty much every bike I've owned.

Thank you, will look this up. May also try using a metal ruler.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Measure the length from axle center to swingarm pivot bolt on both sides to make sure they're the same . you can't go by the snails or lines stamped on the swingarm when tightening the chain .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's another example of a chain/wheel alignment tool, to match side for side, center of swingarm bolt to center of axle, as jj says.
So this measures the length (from the bolt which holds the swingarm to the frame) to the center of the axle? What is the tool called exactly? Couldn't seem to find it online.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Will get back with more detailed pictures and findings ASAP. Busy with the end of the semester...

·
Registered
37 Posts
You can just use a tape measure . The tool will be straight forward if it's off or not and easier to read around components in the way.

·
Registered
149 Posts
you might want to check or adjust the dishing on your front wheel to centre it if its not, or trim your fork guards down a little to stop that rub. you can also perhaps find a narrower fitting 120/70 front tire next time...

if you have to tighten your chain every week with daily riding then you need a new chain and sprockets asap. those look beat, hence the metal dust... cheap ones from JT, sunstar, etc. get steel sprockets cheap and long lasting, but spend some cash on your chain, its money well spent for longevity

1 - 11 of 11 Posts