SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so ive been wanting to get a sumo for a long time now and i will be ready to make my prchanse in Jan 11'. The only problem is every day i am bounceing back and forth between the Husky 510 smr 09' or an 09' drz-400. i am willing to dump about 7k into the bike so if i get the drz it will be for aprox 4k and will dump 2-3k in mods. I REALLLY want the Husky but the more i read this forum i see how many people have problems with their brand new bikes. Also how much should i expect to have the valves checked and how often. i really need some good advice people.

·
Registered
39 Posts
you might consider posting the same question on the suzuki site. it would be interesting to see what the suzuki folks have to say.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
546 Posts
If you're going to ride it mainly on the streets, get the DRZ. Limit your mods to $500 or so and save the rest for gear, booze, or whatever makes you happy. If you're going to ride it mainly on tracks, get the Husky.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I can't disagree more, having ridden both bikes and after buying a 08 SMR510, the DRZ is not even close in any respect! I ride my 510 on the road only, and it is the perfect tool for the job. They are not as bad as people make out, in both maintenance terms and rideability:thumbup:

·
Registered
91 Posts
+1 for 510
Have you tested both bikes ?

I bet after riding for awhile with drz u will start to want more power/lightweight/fun factor. Ive owned my 510 since new and after 2500miles there is no f-f-f-f-fails

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Wait you have 7k to buy a bike? Get both used shouldn't have a problem getting two used bikes with low miles for 7k. Plus all the problems seem to come from the new fi models. I bought my 2005 with 600 miles on it for 3k and see drz sm's all the time for 3k and you still have 1k to do mods!

I know a lot of guys would rather buy something new or almost in that case buy the bike that fits your riding style. If you decide what your riding style is than the answer will be clear on the bike.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I'm not sure where you are reading these bikes have problems. My 09 450 SMR has been very relaible, and I really love it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Only problem I know of when I said fi bikes have problems is the fuel pump. And the fact it needs a power up kit. Not many problems to speak of.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Only problem I know of when I said fi bikes have problems is the fuel pump. And the fact it needs a power up kit. Not many problems to speak of.
The number of people who have had a fuel pump fail on them vs the number who haven't is pretty small. As for the power up kit, thats pretty typical of FI bikes these days and mine came with that stuff from the factory. It was in a separate cardboard box and didn't cost me a dime. :thumbup:

I did have to buy a different exhaust tho as the 09-10 SMR has the cats permanently installed in the exhaust and it's a lot of work to get them out.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
If you want a race bike which is a power, a chance to buy additional parts, so you buy a husky but if you want a street bike so you buy a drz what is referred to in the street
I was also brought before the selection of alternatives was KTM SMC, Husaberg, Aprilia, husky ...
Husky was the best decision on worth every penny

·
Registered
725 Posts
can't decied

get the 450RR on sale in florida, it's a track only bike. i have one, it handles so well, strong motor. quality piece. :bannana::bannana::bannana:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
It's been sold...

I know, I kept an eye on it for a while...

It was also never titled... YIKES! A 2004 that's never been titled? That's A LOT of races...

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I came from a DR and wanted more power and a lighter bike but I also wanted more of a street bike maintenance than the 510SMR, so I decided on the Husky SM610. After adding a Leo Vince slip-on and the Lambda removal kit I am very happy with it. I feel the SM610 is a nice in between bike.

·
Registered
258 Posts
i had a drz and now have a husky. i would take the drz only if i wanted to get from point A to B. if you wanna ride for pleasure whether on the street OR track, go husky.
everything performs better. brakes, power, suspension..... i love my husky. its been reliable so far and i check my valves but they have not gone out of spec yet.
drz's are reliable and all... but the brakes suck, suspension is ok, its heavy, and power is lacking (but hey i got real good at clutch wheelies! :rofl:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I came from a DR and wanted more power and a lighter bike but I also wanted more of a street bike maintenance than the 510SMR, so I decided on the Husky SM610. After adding a Leo Vince slip-on and the Lambda removal kit I am very happy with it. I feel the SM610 is a nice in between bike.

++

I went to buy a DRZ. I felt it was underpowered and a little to small for my size ( 6'3'' )
Found a NEW left over 2009 SM610 , For the money, felt it was the way to go.
I'm likin it!:bannana:

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
get the 450RR on sale in florida, it's a track only bike. i have one, it handles so well, strong motor. quality piece. :bannana::bannana::bannana:
It's been sold...

I know, I kept an eye on it for a while...

It was also never titled... YIKES! A 2004 that's never been titled? That's A LOT of races...
Which bike is that? I cant find the ad.. I dont remember seeing an RR or an 04 RR for that matter

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
you might consider posting the same question on the suzuki site. it would be interesting to see what the suzuki folks have to say.

:popcorn:
I have a built ( fast, Ex Kevin Schwantz race bike) DRZ 400 SM and a 2006 Husky 510SMR. I bought the Husky as it is lighter then the DRZ and has about 7 more HP stock!
I loved the DRZ street licensed but after riding the Husky for a few weeks I have the DRZ up for sale. With the lighter & more HP Husky I can go faster & put less strain on the motor. Both bikes handle well.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts