SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I’m moving to Oahu for helicopter school in a month and I was wondering what the requirements are for bringing a bike like a KTM 450 SMR over to Oahu and getting it plated and registered? Does it help to have an out of state title first? Do they do a VIN check to see if it’s for OHV only? Or will the SD plate option work out there? Thanks so much! Any insight would be awesome

·
Registered
2002 Yamaha YZ426F
3 Posts
They do safety inspections. If it's already plated it will be much easier for you. They check lights, tires, horn - hopefully you have one...things like that. If it's aftermarket be prepared to also have the DMV do a reconstruction inspection. They'll look at all the safety things and also exhaust, suspension - anything aftermarket. The safety inspections are done at specific shops, not the DMV. Go to CR Import Repair in Honolulu. The owner is super cool about this stuff and will most likely pass you (for some extra cash lol). Go before they open as his lines outside are reflective of his service. It's easier in Hawaii than, say, California because they do allow some OHV to be plated. Hope this helps and good luck at school! I did 5 years in the Marine Corps out there, you'll love it!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They do safety inspections. If it's already plated it will be much easier for you. They check lights, tires, horn - hopefully you have one...things like that. If it's aftermarket be prepared to also have the DMV do a reconstruction inspection. They'll look at all the safety things and also exhaust, suspension - anything aftermarket. The safety inspections are done at specific shops, not the DMV. Go to CR Import Repair in Honolulu. The owner is super cool about this stuff and will most likely pass you (for some extra cash lol). Go before they open as his lines outside are reflective of his service. It's easier in Hawaii than, say, California because they do allow some OHV to be plated. Hope this helps and good luck at school! I did 5 years in the Marine Corps out there, you'll love it!
Dude thank you so much for the reply! This has been super helpful and I insightful, thank you so much, really excited to finally get into my commercial stuff, and thank you got your service! Tried to go marines and army but they wouldn’t take me due to pre-skin cancer..oh well. Really excited to get on island in a few weeks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts