SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna see how this plastidip holds up on my 690 plastics. Originally bought it for my truck grill but I'm interested to see how it holds up. I'll update later...

·
Registered
64 Posts
should hold up well if you prep right. friend of mine used it on his wheels and it looks amazing. it's what i'm going to use on my plastics too

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
In between coats right now, the only prep I saw was to scrub clean with soap and water.... So far it looks tight, I only have enuff to do light assembly and fender today :(

·
Registered
64 Posts
buddies wheels were washed prior to spray and it did not hold up well in some spots while others show no signs of letting go. i suggest scuffing before spray, FWIW i am wetsanding with 1000, damn it's hot

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
IMO the adhesive qualities of plastidip suck. Even with proper prepping it will always peel right off.. If you are using it on something flexible (which you are), I'm sure it will suck worse - but worth a try.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well it dries and is rubbery/flexible, which leaves me to believe a lil flex won't hurt it. I know a Handful of people that did their truck grills and it's holding up quite well. I went ahead and did the whole bike. It would have been done but I was side tracked with a lil trip to the ER... Long story, I will explain. I also did some testing by putting a decal on it for a day and when I pulled it off, the plastidip stayed strong. I also tried scratching it with my finger nail and was unable to rip it. I don't have raptor claws but they're kinda gnarly...

Best thing tho, say it doesnt work, I can just peel it off and my factory orange is
Still there... I'll have pics in the morning, the mix between flat black and gloss is awesome looking

To top it all off, I blacked out the exhaust shields with high temp heat paint. I don't think the shields get as hot as the header pipe, (what would be the point of them if they did?) and it looks good. Says it will resist temps up to 1200 degrees... If it all fails, I'll powder coat the shields and buy black plastics...figured I'd try this route before I drop 3 loafs...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Love plastidip! great stuff and holds up better than you think. Ive used it a few times and been impressed every time

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pullin the pics off my fine now. Put on 100 miles today and its holding up great so far, as are my painted exhaust shields... Pics in a bit, of the whole process....

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok so here goes.

this is what the bike began as; your stock orange. it was missing the smc 690 tail stickers when i got it and had some kind of racing / numbers decals on it. not my cup of tea, so i yanked them and put on those grenade decals.

i decided then to black it out. i did some research and found new plastics to be about $200, so i figured id try this before i dumped that much into cosmetics. Plastidip cost me roughly $5 a can and this whole project only used 2 1/2 cans, and that was heavy coats.

so first thing i did was remove the plastics and wash/scrub them with soap and water.

yes, that is knock off dawn dish washing soap. its orange and smells delicious, which i think is why i enjoy washing the dishes so much. just thinking about doing dishes brings a smile to my face. ahh the sweet aroma. before i get too side tracked, i wanted to make sure they had a factory or after market kind of look to them, so i went ahead and shot the insides and underneaths of all the plastics.

plastics off....

first coat of plastidip applied to underneath of front fender

then i did the top after the bottom dried. i let it sit for about 45 minutes before i flipped it to dip the top

next i did the inside of the headlight housing part, wait 45 mins, then flipped it and did the outside

here they are together. for some reason in this pic the headlight part looks fubar, but its not... weird. anyway, moving on.

i put it all back together and had this, which i thought looked pretty awesome, but it didnt match the rest of the bike. i had more black on the bike but it was gloss. it looked like i wrecked and then put unpainted pieces back on...

so, like jeffery dahmer, i dug a little deeper. i yanked the rest of the plastics off and got them ready for dip.

pulled sides off

dipped insides, flipped and did outsides

then i yanked the tail, only after 40 minutes, trying to pull it off, only to realize i have to put the key in the gas cap and pull it off as if i were getting gas to get the tail off. i am amazed i didnt break anything. oh and theres a hidden screw underneath. then i dipped' her too

then i had the bright idea to black out my exhaust shields and tint my tail light and signals. so im chilling, sweating my ass off in the garage, listening to music, when all of a sudden something flies in my ear, and when i say "flies in my ear", i don't mean it flew near my ear, or in my ear lobe, i mean the fucker FLEW INTO MY EAR... i cant get it out, i hear it buzzing and fluttering in my head. i try to scratch it out and realize im bleeding from my ear. im now hearing my screams from one ear only. i run inside, try to squish the fucker with a qtip but i cant go that far... my girl tries to squirt water in there to flush it out but it only pisses it off, so i pack my gear (girl and babeh) into the car and haul ass to the hospital. the whole time this thing is going crazy in my head, flaring my inner michael j fox. when the nurse finally got it flushed out, it was still alive flying around. part of me said "wow that thing deserves to live, shit... then i remembered my insurance deductible. that being said, i smashed it nice and slow. hopefully he felt it. i tried to start with a wing. here is the pic

two hours later, im home and wired, so i continue to work on the bike

i used VHT tint spray to do my tail light and my rear turn signals. the can doesnt recommend you go past 3 coats. i did 2 coats on my tail light and 2 on my turn signals. i just wanted a light smoked look. i tested it after the first coat and relized i could go 1 more without it being too dark.

then i popped off the exhaust shields and sprayed them with high temp heat paint. the can says it withstands 600degrees and spikes of 1200 degrees. i road most of the day today and they held up great. time will tell.

i also popped off the stock ktm mirrors and put a mirror on my bar end. i wasn't too crazy about leaving where the mirros stocks screwed in open so i figured id close it up with a bolt. i couldnt find any bolts that were short enough so i used the best i could find, sanded it and shot it black. they look ok for the time being as a temp solution. im thinking about putting a nut on it, hack sawing off part of them and rethreaded the nut down. that should make them sit flush. maybe this weekend...

here is the left side...

and, icing on the cake, i added a nifty little bell. it rings a little when i ride due to the vibration, which kind of makes it sound like santa is behind me. i dipped it to match ;)

at the end of the day, this is what i have. once i get an exhaust, i think it'll look great.

the mix of flat and gloss black looks pretty awesome, i was thinking of some gloss black decals. i put a few stickers on the inside of the plastics to see how they would hold up / stick to the dip and i left them on for a bit. they seemed to hold up just fine, so i guess its all good. lemme know what you guys think.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Love it man. Gotten me motivated to try something similar.

Also I didn't realize ears went that deep (or is it pretty hollow further in?:rofl:). Quite an adventure.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I am surpried it came out that good. I wonder how it will hold up? Where did you buy the stuff at? AutoZone?

Man if you powder your swinger..... it would look totally sick! Makes me kinda wann do mine now....

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
And I think your rottie is dead.....

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha that's Molly, she was being an asshole that day...

I bought the dip from lowes, cost me like $5 a can. Gonna try and put 100 miles on it today to so how we're doing. But like I said, nothing is permanent, this stuff is actually protecting the plastics so if anybody ever wanted to go back to stock, you can.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
You said you can take that stuff off? How?

1 - 20 of 114 Posts