SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 510 SMR has 11,000 miles of spirited street use and the valves have never needed adjustment. When I try to pull the stock street gearing at low throttle on 5th or 6th gear on level grownd I hear the "marbles in a can" sound of detonation. It happens under 5000 rpm. I changes spark plugs and jetting trying to fix the problem. I use 93 octane primium gas and even tried octane boosters. It is not chain slap because I am familiar with the way that sounds. Do I need a new piston to fix this problem?

·
Registered
725 Posts
what did the plug look like, any small balls of metal on the plug ?? any metal bit's in the oil, shavings or what not ?? do you have any idea what you have as far as jetting on the bike, lean jet, pilot and main ?? had a leak down test performed ?? :headscrat:headscrat

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bike is running 182 main, 45 pilot, TC needle on the middle groove, acc. pump activated with no leak jet. The plug and oil was free of metal. No leak down test for me in this island unless I buy my own equipment.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Are you talking 4500 and steady cruising or 4500-5000 and hard on the gas. The bike probably shouldn't knock at 5000rpm, level ground, steady cruising, but anything below 4500 on these bikes is too low in top gear to be giving it the stick. You really are asking this thing to do something it was not intended to do. Spin it a little faster or you are probably going to knock the corners off the top of the piston.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My 2006 510 SMR has 11,000 miles of spirited street use and the valves have never needed adjustment. When I try to pull the stock street gearing at low throttle on 5th or 6th gear on level grownd I hear the "marbles in a can" sound of detonation. It happens under 5000 rpm. I changes spark plugs and jetting trying to fix the problem. I use 93 octane primium gas and even tried octane boosters. It is not chain slap because I am familiar with the way that sounds. Do I need a new piston to fix this problem?
You have 11k without a fresh top end? And you have never needed to adjust the valves? Thats remarkable. I have just over 5k on mine and I was thinking about doing a rebuild, but I guess ill wait it out seeing that you have more than doubled me on the miles.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yesterday I was spinning the engine over 5000 on 5th and 6th gear and everything in the bike began to work much better. No engine noise, smoother shifts and a hell of a ride. At 25 years of riding there are lots of things to learn. I know the bike needs to be freshen up but I will risk all before going into a rebuild that may not be necesary to quiet a noise that may not be a sign of danger and may continue after a stock rebuilt.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried Sea foam spray and could not believe the difference. No piston noise and better running engine. If the engine was carboned up because the rings or valve seals are bad, then I just gained some time. If it is because of the jetting, I don't care because it runs the way I like it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts