SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,014 Posts
What time were you up there? I hung out under the KTM tent for an hour or so. Too bad I didn't see you there. Some guy with jeans on slipped out on one of the corners and ripped his knee up bad.

· Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
173 said:
I see you ride a crf how do the 2 bikes compare. The 525 vs the CRF450??
The KTM felt taller than the CRF. Brakes on the KTM are awesome. It was a tight track so you couldn't really open it up. I'm use to my CRF but it does not take long to get comfortable with the KTM. I love the Electric start. Right out of the crate it's a nice package.

· Registered
421 Posts
Looks like a small track so you couldn't stunt or get much speed. :headshake

Was the waiting time long? What if you stayed on it until it ran out of gas? :laughingr

Anyway, that is the shiznit. I wish I couda made it. Thanks for sharing pictures... :thumbup:

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Yeah it was pretty cool. The line had about 12 people at most so it only took about 15 minutes after you rode to ride again :Funny: . Like Supermoto7 said, the 525 is very tall but the brakes are great. My CRF is much quicker but its got a little motor work :arsenal . The 525 is a great bike out of the box, but I wasn't impressed with the way they set up their demo program. I don't understand why they would have 525mxc's with supermoto kits on demo when you can't readily go out and expect to buy one like that. They only had one 525smr and you couldn't demo it :headscrat . And by the way, I knew more about the bikes there then the KTM guys did :lol: . It was kind of pitiful. Some guy asked about the difference between the SMR and MXC and the KTM guy said one has e-start and the other doesn't. Umm there's a few more differences than that.

· Registered
15 Posts
“I knew more about the bikes there then the KTM guys did” …

I have no doubt in my mind that you did. When I started reading this thread and seen the ktm set up I thought to my self man that must be nice to be able to get some questions answered buy some one that really knows those bikes well. Guess not, I have yet to go to a bike shop and they know more about the bike that I’m purchasing than they do. Isn’t it these peoples job to at least know some of the spec’s on the bike? Sorry for the rant.

Thanks guys for the bike comparisons. I’m interested in both the ktm 525smc and the crf 450 for use on the street. I own a 2003 CRF 450 (dirt use) and love it but that ktm has some features I really like to!!

Any one know the dry mass of the ktm or the wet mass of the CRF and a hp # for the 525?

Thanks

· Registered
288 Posts
The price on the 525 was $7895??? Is that the normal price or is that jacked up. Looks nice though, If I was there, I'd be asking for one of those Factory Red Bull KTM shirts, they look nice.
I hope they have the same set up at Laguna for the MotoGP.

Moisty

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Any one know the dry mass of the ktm or the wet mass of the CRF and a hp # for the 525?
KTM 525smr
241lbs
52hp

CRF450
218lbs
50hp

· Registered
15 Posts
The 525 are listed on their web site as “Weight (ready to race, no fuel) 241lbs” and the dry weight of the crf is 218. I know that but what is the dry weight of the ktm? or the wet weight of the crf. Trying to get some figures that are comparable.

Thanks for the hp #’s

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys,
All of those bikes were for sale and I believe all were sold. The one MXC that was set aside under the ez-up had been purchased by my bud a couple days before. Here's the story as I posted to ADVrider.com back during Bike Week...

So we're hanging out in Daytona this week and decide to drop by a local shop that used to sell Aprilia - 'cause I'm looking for an SR50 scooter. We run into some friendly regional KTM reps, one of whom I know of from his previous gig at Ducati and another from my own state and we both know many of the same people. Anyway, mention is made of five 525MXCs that are being prepped for motard demo duty and before long we're in the back looking over the goodies...

Basically, the MXC wheels, front brake, big tank, seat and fender are swapped for motard pieces. Excel rims, slicks, Beringer/KTM rotor and caliper, plus some nice handguards. So the rep says he's willing to sell one right now and my best bud Warren perks up. He offers to toss in all of the swapped parts at no charge. Next thing I know...

Followed by...

So now we just gotta figure out how to get this thing, plus my CCM, plus a scooter - home in a truck bed that barely held the second two to begin with! Oh, and all this, too...

Anyway fellas, rest easy tonight 'cause another orange beast has found a loving home and will soon become a sick dual-sport/adventure sled. Even better, my bud lives in our spare room, so it goes into our little stable where I can pretend that it's mine.

Oh, and Bike Week pics here in case ya missed the post in the Racing forum. Hope you guys are havin' a great week.

Anyway, we did figure out how to drag 'em both home. Just dropped off the scooter with a shop trailer headed back to Texas and loaded the Katoom into the truck alongside my CCM 604e Supermoto...

What a fine motorcycle. I liked it enough to be buying one for myself, 'cept it'll be based on a 525 EXC and primarily used as a woods/desert bike. Should be here in a week or so, along with the spare 17" wheels, dual-sport gear, etc.

Can't wait! :D

· Registered
367 Posts
Cool bikes. I also had a double cab Taco, an 02. I loved that truck. Unfortunatly the first time I hauled a bike in it, a BMW 650 Dakar it bent the tailgate!!!!??????
The bike was in the center and of course the rear tire was resting on the tailgate during the haul. In internal support in the tailgate broke/bent and made a very ugly protruding dent on the outside of the tailgate. Toyota said the tailgate was not designed to support the weight of a motorcycle wheel! I have some other bikes that are even more of a pig than the Dakar, I think that thing would have folded like a cheap suit if it would have been one of them. The Toyota did have incredible trade in value, I took advantage of it one week later.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.