SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the road today with a Buddy we hit up Hwy 9 on our way down to Skagit Co. for some new roads, We were really taking it easy for fear of a lot of LEO patrols being out with this being the weekend of the 4th. About a 1/4 mile from Hwy 20 Luke lost his Satelite signal to his GPS, so he pulls over and signals me to do the same, as soon as we pull over he regains his signal, so we reconfirm where we're going and I head back to the bike. When I look down to raise the kickstand I notice drops of liquid on the ground. So I get off thinking that the new FCR Carb is overflowing fuel, but no..... It's oil and this shit is all over my swing arm, rear tire, pretty much the whole back of the bike..WTF!!

While we are trying to assess how bad this is, another rider on a Husky Dual Sport rolls by with a thumbs up is everything OK look, Luke give him the cut throat signal and shakes his head no. This guy pulls over and asks whats up, so we give him the lowdown. Now by chance or whatever he points across the street and says we can put my bike in his driveway behind his Truck and next to his 2 other bikes if we need to leave it until I can get a trailer. What a Kick ass guy (Either Active or Retired Navy due to the Stickers on his vehicles), well I was able to get my Dad to borrow a trailer and come pick me up.....5Hrs Later, but I cant complain because the bike is home and I think I found the source of the leak..................................Sorry ya gotta watch the video to appreciate how bad it is.

Here is the Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNk25BDEDYo

·
Registered
721 Posts
Red loctite the shit out of that nut when you put it back on. I had that nut come loose on mine and it actually sheared the output shaft, had to split the case to replace the shaft. I now ride without the cover on just to keep a closer eye on it. I would say for something going wrong, that is about as good as it can get! No catastrophic damage, and not stranded without help :thumbup:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Also check the crankcase breather lines, to make sure they are not pinched or clogged, pressurizing the crankcase and pushing the oil out at the weakest point, which is usually a seal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Loctite for sure, and thanks for the advise on the breather lines cause I hadn't even thought of that. Hope to be back on the road soon.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just a question, but did you feel rear end squirming at all, especially just putting around?

Either way glad your buddies GPS stopped working. Had you guys decided to up the pace without stopping, your day would have been a hell of a lot worse!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a question, but did you feel rear end squirming at all, especially just putting around?

Either way glad your buddies GPS stopped working. Had you guys decided to up the pace without stopping, your day would have been a hell of a lot worse!

Nope, no squirming at all. We were just strolling at 50MPH on a road with gentle sweepers. This happened about 1/4 mile from our destination road.....the kind we all bought Sumos for, tight twisties. Could of been real ugly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Common deal... it happens more then it should, but the fix is easy.
Parts required for the repair of a leaking countershaft seal are
SEAL, DRIVE SHAFT OIL
09283-30053
SPACER, ENGINE SPROCKET
27531-29F00
O RING (D:2.5,ID:21)
09280-21008

Often the screws holding the seal retainer are damaged, if needed they are
BOLT, RETAINER (6X14)
09126-06007

The process has been written up here more then one I'm sure, or over at TT if you need it.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
i cut most of the sprocket cover away, its basically just the metal bracket and a little plastic to keep those wires/shoelaces from getting sucked in.

this way, i can visually check the sprocket, fold washer, and nut whenever i damn well please. good catch getting that before the engine grenaded!

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
I see your bike is an '06, how many miles are on it, and have you ever removed the C/S sprocket before the failure?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I see your bike is an '06, how many miles are on it, and have you ever removed the C/S sprocket before the failure?
Bike is an 07 with now 3000 miles on it and I have never removed the C/S sprocket, until now.

In a nut shell......... Remove retaining plate screws.

Remove retaining plate to gain access to seal.

Seal is the black ring around the splined shaft.
First remove the spacer on the splined shaft then remove and replace seal.

Yes, there is more to it than this but you get the idea.

I have 2 suzuki dealerships within a 50 mile radius and neither stock this part, and it could be a week to get it in. Grrrrrrrr.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Oh that happened to me on my fast ride to work a month ago on my 06 drz - the lockwasher was the old design and it backed off and same thing, oil everywhere;

i'd just come off the highway (where i think it went), and paused for a sec at the off ramp light. i wheelied away and changed lanes in the wheelie, and it felt a little loose when i leaned it over while up, and then the next hard 90 degree right hander i took at speed resulted in me backing it waaaaaaaaaaay around the corner with the back end about 3 feet sideways, probably 40 foot long of me being totally crossed up drifting through the turn in heavy traffic. longest back in ever for me, especially never got it that crossed up and leaned over. makes me want to add a tire oiler, lol.

cheap simple quick fix, new seal and shaft, and make sure you get the improved lockwasher design with the bend down tabs so that it doesn't happen again. its like $40 in parts and maybe 45 mins of labour if you go to your dealer.... at least you get an oil change out of it.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
How did you get the old seal out?

I see blue lock tight in the holes for the seal retainer plate. How difficult was it breaking loose those screws?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How did you get the old seal out?

I see blue lock tight in the holes for the seal retainer plate. How difficult was it breaking loose those screws?
The Blue Lock tight was tough so I went with something with a little TORQUE!!

The Seal is easy to get at after the spacer is removed, I used chanel lock plies to gently pull it out, then removed by hand.

Then you can see how easy it is to get behind the seal to pry it out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
great job writing this up, so great for us non mechanicals on the site. I managed to replace my stator cover when i got the bike. but this doesn't look too bad as a pro-active weekend project.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
+1 for sharing.

Yea that blue lock tite looked like a stripped screw head in the making.

I stripped the head of the screws on front brake reservoir before and had to drill it out. I'll try the more manly electric screw driver next time! :D

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Bike is an 07 with now 3000 miles on it and I have never removed the C/S sprocket, until now.
Thanks for the response (and pics).

This issue has been discussed at length in many places.

I was just wondering if there was some connection between model year, mileage on the unit, and if it was more likely if the owner had done C/S sprocket swaps.

Just being lazy I suppose. Hoping I could get away without doing all the "Loctite Fixes" as mine is an '09 with 5500 miles of hammering.

But this type of failure sure scares the hell out of me; Unpredictable and down where you wouldn't see it until it was too late.

I can't imagine going full boogy, knee down through one of the local twisties with traffic or no run off room and having your rear tire get oiled down... by your own damn bike no less. Damn Spooky.

Guess I'll get to work. Glad a seal and a few quarts of oil is all it cost you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pics and video are no problem guys, still waiting on a replacement seal to show up from the dealer seeing as neither of mine stock this part.

Once the repair is done I'm gonna look into safety wire as well as loctite the damn thing. Dont want this happening in the middle of nowhere.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts