SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come across a problem with my ktm 625 smc.it seems that once it warms up and i shut it down,it doesn't want to turn back on.so after some research I've found that this is a common problem with theses bikes.i have found multiple threads and blogs concerning this issue,but non tell wether or not they have fixed it or figured it out.ive narrowed it down to the pick up coil is bad on my bike and wondering if anybody has experience in testing a pick up coil.im using a multimeter set on ohms to check for resistance.so i want to know if anyone else has tested theirs and if so,how?thanks for your time

·
Registered
42 Posts
The pickup coil is basically a coil of wire connecting from the frame to your spark plug. (Induction, if you know anything about that).

Long story short, measure the resistance across your pickup coil. It should be single, maybe low double digit ohms.

The fact that your bike starts at all says that the pickup coil probably isn't bad...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did measure the ohms,they're with in factory specs when cold,but when the bike is hot,the ohms are way too high,but when the bike starts to cool down after letting it sit,the ohms get with in factory specs,it fires back up.ive replaced the coil,the plug and wire,and the pick up coil,and the bike still looses spark when hot

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I replaced it once and with a used cool so and it did the same,so I replaced it a second time with a genuine ktm pick up coil from ktm,brand new,and it still does the same issue.had a mechanic tell me that my stator may be bad,but do not want to just throw money at the bike

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do you have a service manual for this bike? Usually, those come with troubleshooting guides for finding these kinds of issues. If it's not getting spark, and you have a new ignition coil, the stator and plugs are the only other components on the circuit.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I did measure the ohms,they're with in factory specs when cold,but when the bike is hot,the ohms are way too high,but when the bike starts to cool down after letting it sit,the ohms get with in factory specs,it fires back up.ive replaced the coil,the plug and wire,and the pick up coil,and the bike still looses spark when hot
I just read this and was wondering if something is expanding in the heat and making a new contact somewhere. it really sounds like it might be something like a bad ground or poor connection somewhere that physically moves due to the heat or vibration. when the engine cools enough it goes back to spec. you said that it wasn't a new bike and if you've replaced almost all of the other components. Inspect your harness carefully again too. wires fail at connectors. multiprong connectors arent always fully plugged all in together, inspect. inspect. inspect. . I hate electrical gremlins. Do a search online for a forum and try to find some videos or write ups where ktm guys are ripping into your exact bike and solving your exact issue. it has to exist out there, even if its in German. Also if all else fails i'm sure a good motocycle mechanic at a solid shop could find it in 1-1.25 hours, at least to give you a second opinion or reduce your agro. test the stator and voltage reg/rec too. might as well.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Ign pick up coil is known common failure point.

You need to measure resistance at specific temps.... and with a good Ohm meter. The fact that the ohm reading changes when hot shows that it is shorting or opening together means it is BAD. Buy a new one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts