SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did the yosh rs-2 full system, the 3x3 mod and the JD jet kit and the bike runs great. Only problem is that my buddy's 01 DRZ-S runs neck and neck with me. He has only the pro-circuit full system with no jetting or other mods, 14,000 miles on it too! The only difference is that i'm running my stock SM gearing and he has 15/47 on his. Any ideas? Should I change gearing?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
15/47 will give you better acceleration, but if you cruise much at 55+ your rpm's will be up there pretty high. I'd try a 14 tooth front sprocket first, and see how you like it. that way you don't have to buy a longer chain either.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
i dropped one in the front right when i got the bike.... it made it pull a lot harder but it REALLY SUCKS on the highway.. and i do a lot of highway riding so i took it off... great for the low end. shitty for the top end

·
Registered
653 Posts
I would leave it alone, but if you want a change I would either get a 14t front or 44t rear. The front is much easier to change and *shouldn't* require a change of chain length. The rear will.

15/47 isn't enjoyable on the steet IMO. Having ridden one, it's just too much shifting.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Remember, as most vehicles break in and loosen up they gain a bit of power. Your buddy's bike may be much better worn-in than yours :D

-Dave

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
what carb does that guy have?

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
What makes you think your SM should pull any harder than an older "S" model? If you are talking flat out drag race, his bike with a full pipe and stock jetting should be spot on at full throttle. Yours should run better at part throttle with smoother running and better throttle response.

I think his gear (15/47) presumably with stock wheels, is a little shorter than yours allowing him slightly better acceleration. The stock S gearing (15/44) is pretty equal with stock SM gearing once the taller rear wheel is accounted for.

FWIW, I have a buddy who has a stock '01 S which runs pretty close to my jetted and full Yosh Ti piped '03 S. Mine pulls away a bit, but not by much. And my S makes close to 40 hp (39.9 or something).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts