SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day guys, this is my first post and already I'm after some info if available! :D

I'm returning to bikes after a couple of years in the wilderness buying watches, just becoming too expensive. :rolleyes:

I'm in the proces of picking up a 2004 Husky 510 SMR and was wondering about parts interchangeability between the 04 model and later models. I mean in terms of bodywork, aftermarket parts etc.

For example, will a stepped seat that fits an 09 model fit the 04 model, that type of thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
your bike is almost identical to the newer models up to 2007. Chassis is mostly the same, but body work changed. You can update that if you'd like. There are also some engine differences like exhaust valve sizes, the carb changed to a Keihin FCR in '05. your bike will have 45mm Marzocchi shiver forks vs the 50mm that started in '07. SMR's also got radial mount brake calipers in 2007 on the 50mm forks. Kick start mechanism and right case half were updated in 2006. Be careful kickstarting, Kick until your foot bottoms out on the foot peg. DON'T let your foot pass the peg and bottom the kickstarter against its stops. It can create enough stress to crack the case and/or side cover. This can still happen on pretty much any motocross bike not just husky, because of the recoil and the poor kicking method used by many people- see previous sentence.

2008-10 uses the same engine for the most part but is fuel injected. The chassis is totally different. The shock is offset to one side to account for the exhaust being mounted on the left side vs. the right side like the '07 and older bikes.

The side panels of 09-10 SMR's will work with some effort with the body work of 05-07 bikes. You end up with the lower part of the airbox being exposed. Good for getting more air in but bad if you ride offroad a lot as you're filter gets dirty a lot faster. I have seen people make the seat of 08-10 bikes work on the older bikes but I could not get one to work, temporarily given up on it til I get some spare time.

Wheels are the same from 04-10 on all huskies. The SMR uses larger 8mm bolts on the front hub to account for added braking forces. The 04 bikes also had smaller rear rotor than the 05 or 06 and newer. (Not sure where 2005 model sits, seems like they were the mix between '04 and '06 models. Think the engine may have been the older one but chassis and plastics are newer.) Basic things like oil filters and spark plugs are all the same

OH and I THINK 2003 models were the start of the newer bikes (so they would be the same as 2004) but Im not sure. I havent seen any SMR's from 2003 but I think I've seen TC's from then. I havent looked at the parts fiche to double check that. I need to look at the fiche to verify where the 2005 year sits in the family too...

Theres a good start to your quest for knowledge. :D

EDIT. Oh and the 510's came out in late 2004. When I was looking at the parts fiche for 2004 models on www.husqvarnaoutlet.com I didnt see any 510's there. But they have it included in the 2005 fiche.. But the 510 is identical to the 450 minus a longer stroke (pin is more offset on the crank but uses the same connecting rod as 450) so you can still look at the 2004 parts fiche.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info mate, much appreciated, I was beginning to wonder if anyone was even reading this post! :lol:

Turns out the bike is an 05 model, so that makes it a little easier I guess. From the sounds of things it looks like the engines are pretty much the same until the fuel injection arrives? Also the same as the dirt bikes I'm guessing.

Interesting you mention the seat as that was what I was looking to change, get one of those stepped seat dealies...

Again, thanks for that. ;)

·
Premium Member
4,683 Posts
Engines 101:

All start from the same base, 2004-10 regardless of TC/TE/TXC/SMR.
But small internal differences make it a certain model.

TC has the most power of the standard models. It has more aggressive intake cam, lighter piston with 1 compression ring, and no counter balancer. Transmission is a 5 speed.

TE and SMR engines are the same. They have less aggressive intake cam, heavier piston with 2 compression rings, a crank balancer, 6speed, and electric start.

TXC was introduced in 08. It's a cross between the TC and the TE. Its a carb'd engine with TC cams/piston but has electric start and 6speed of the TE.

SMRR was available 2006-09. It's a hopped up, ready to race bike with a bunch of handling goodies and other things. Not exactly easy to get, but was available to the public. Most powerful of the husky 4 strokes. It has the most aggressive intake cam husky offers (more than the TC and the power-up cam). It was ported/polished, had hi-flow water pump, and different CDI that raised rom limit and advanced timing. It was always carb'd, even when all the bikes got the chassis change in 08. It also has an STM slipper clutch.

When the TE/SMR got fuel injection, not much changed on the engine, the use of a different flywheel with the crank position pickup was used.

If you want a step seat you can get a kit (from gutz racing I think it is). It's just a bump you add to the back of the seat. I think it includes a new cover too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts