SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've seen supermotos on kart tracks.

how about setting up a course in a large, vacant parking lot? has anyone tried this?

while driving around the other day, i noticed a very large shopping center that looks like it has been closed for quite some time. the condition of the parking looked pretty good. i didn't see any parking space cement blocks. there were the usual light poles scattered throughout the lot. it's plenty big enough to set up a little course.

i wonder if the owner would go for something like this for a small rental fee.. :hmmm:

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
we do that around here with the 50s.... and occasionally someone will bring out their SMR or something...
but really, it feels better doing it with the minibikes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Sounds like an autocross but for sumo's. Can't see why not. Get enough guys, get ins, rent a lot. Check with a local autox club for local lots and who they use for ins. Also check who writes ins for the kart tracks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Industrial Parks on the weekend...

We have a few by me in San Diego. Fun stuff! Nobody there, usually, you can rip around for hours.

·
Registered
952 Posts
we do that around here with the 50s....
My buddy was rippin a 50 around an empty lot and the cops came and made him walk the bike home (luckily he could see his house from the lot). Couple weeks later he was in a different lot teaching his girl how to ride it (its actually a mini 125 w/clutch) and they came again and gave them a ticket for riding an off highway vehicle on the "highway". Its so dumb, not bothering anyone just trying to blow off some steam and have some fun but no...Johnny law has to take it all away!!!!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
My buddy was rippin a 50 around an empty lot and the cops came and made him walk the bike home (luckily he could see his house from the lot). Couple weeks later he was in a different lot teaching his girl how to ride it (its actually a mini 125 w/clutch) and they came again and gave them a ticket for riding an off highway vehicle on the "highway". Its so dumb, not bothering anyone just trying to blow off some steam and have some fun but no...Johnny law has to take it all away!!!!
what state?

unless he was on a public road (keeping in mind that public roads can and do run thru major parkinglots) he should be able to contest it....

...unless you're in some fugged up state.. like cali.

then again, all my vehicle code and law information is based in south carolina.. theres no off road registration here, and apparently its very leaneant towards off road vehicles on private land.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Yep you hit the nail on the head, California my friend. I think it had to do with the fact that he is at college and of course UCSB is highly patrolled, doubt anything would happen to you in the bay area where i live. Most places cops probably have better things to do.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Parking lots are considered the road or "highway" in most jurisdictions.

Try to find some place that nobody can see you, (or hear you). Quite often some citizen will call in complaints b/c someone is out having fun. And sometimes the cops are just dicks.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Parking lots are considered the road or "highway" in most jurisdictions.

Try to find some place that nobody can see you, (or hear you). Quite often some citizen will call in complaints b/c someone is out having fun. And sometimes the cops are just dicks.
as long as you're 15ft from the road, or have a fence/wall/barrier between you and the road, then its just private property...
i dont reccomend arguing with the cop about it (or anything).. thats what court is for.. but around here, we dont get hassled unless the owners tell the police.

then again, we're all adults, with full road race gear, and not trashing the place...

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think it used to be a big kmart that closed down. the lot is huge but not in "new" condition, but definitely good enough to ride...better than some roads! lol. i thought the next company that buys it would build a new lot along with a new building. that's why i thought they wouldn't be too worried about tire marks.

the insurance issue is something i was concerned about. maybe not worth going through all the trouble.

i thought i'd write the owners a letter asking if i can "practice" riding / "no racing" in their lot. the lot is only 20 minutes away so i think it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
364 Posts
A cop I know told me to always fight parking lot tickets.... private property. He presented : what's the chances the cop will show in court and the chances that he had any authority..... good odds in your favor.

:bike:

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
there are a bunch in vista and carlsbad, ive worked in the industrials in c-bad and its not too shabby, big lots with a field backing one side and buildings between the lots and the road... i dont think theyre patrolled or anything, but i'd sure hate to get a ticket carlsbad PD are DICKS!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts