SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I'm sure this has been rehashed a lot but I really need some guidance on what bike to get.
First off let me say I'm pretty confident in my riding abilities (been riding dirt bikes all my teenage years). What I'm looking for is a street legal Supermoto that's reliable, low(ish) maintenance, and fun! I'm going to be riding almost always on the road maybe 85% road and 15% dirt. With about 90% of the road riding off the highway. I've been looking at some used Yamaha wr250x's but wanted to make sure I haven't skipped over anything. I'm kind of shying away from dirt bike converted supermoto's like Honda crf450r's? Because from what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) their high maintenance and require engine rebuilds and mess? I'm far from a mechanic and not capable of pulling out engines, etc.
So basically what's a really fun bike that I'm not going to have to worry about over-heating or breaking down every time I get on it, and also has a pretty good after market selection? My budget is $5000 and below, can i expect a decent bike around there?

Thanks in Advanced!

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
I would say forget the WR250 and look no further than the WR450. The 450 is half the weight and more than twice the power! Don't worry, they're low maintenance and super easy to convert. I ride one daily and have for years without issue. They are originally engineered as street legal machines, so they are rock solid and dependable. Here's some links that you might find helpful/insightful:

One of the Greatest Commercials in the World:

WR450 Info.:

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?134832-WR450-De-Restriction-and-Conversion-to-YZ-Spec-Street-Legal-Machine&highlight=

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?132614-WR426-vs-WR450-Steel-Frame-vs-WR450-Aluminum-Frame&highlight=

Regardless of color, I'd highly recommend a 450 of some sort even if you don't like the blue bike:

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?138570-450-Supermoto-Showdown&highlight=

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would say forget the WR250 and look no further than the WR450. The 450 is half the weight and more than twice the power! Don't worry, they're low maintenance and super easy to convert. I ride one daily and have for years without issue. They are originally engineered as street legal machines, so they are rock solid and dependable. Here's some links that you might find helpful/insightful:

One of the Greatest Commercials in the World:

WR450 Info.:

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?134832-WR450-De-Restriction-and-Conversion-to-YZ-Spec-Street-Legal-Machine&highlight=

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?132614-WR426-vs-WR450-Steel-Frame-vs-WR450-Aluminum-Frame&highlight=

Regardless of color, I'd highly recommend a 450 of some sort even if you don't like the blue bike:

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?138570-450-Supermoto-Showdown&highlight=
How much am I looking at to buy and convert one? Also I'm sort of inadequate working on a bike besides the simple stuff so I'm hesitant trying to convert one. Don't you have to wire everything etc?

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
How much am I looking at to buy and convert one? Also I'm sort of inadequate working on a bike besides the simple stuff so I'm hesitant trying to convert one. Don't you have to wire everything etc?
You can find a wr for $2k up to the lower $4k's. That will also depend on your location. The conversion can be under $100 and go up over $1k depending on what you want. You can convert one with 17s for right around $1k.

The conversion is very basic and easy. The wiring is all there, you'll have to run one wire. I actually can get a harness that is plug and play. Comes with all the switches and it will plug right up to the stock wr harness with no splicing.

That first link has a lot of info. that you can reference and I can walk you through most anything that you might need help with.

They're definitely worth the effort!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can find a wr for $2k up to the lower $4k's. That will also depend on your location. The conversion can be under $100 and go up over $1k depending on what you want. You can convert one with 17s for right around $1k.

The conversion is very basic and easy. The wiring is all there, you'll have to run one wire. I actually can get a harness that is plug and play. Comes with all the switches and it will plug right up to the stock wr harness with no splicing.

That first link has a lot of info. that you can reference and I can walk you through most anything that you might need help with.

They're definitely worth the effort!
What all am I looking at to convert it? I assume I should change out the rims/tires (I've read warp 9's are good).
Basically what all comes on the wr450 and what do I have to add?
Are there any known problems I should be looking for? Mileage, condition, etc?
Sorry for all the questions!

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
What all am I looking at to convert it? I assume I should change out the rims/tires (I've read warp 9's are good).
Basically what all comes on the wr450 and what do I have to add?
Are there any known problems I should be looking for? Mileage, condition, etc?
Sorry for all the questions!
Yes, the rims will be switched. If you go with warp 9's then you won't be able to utilize the stock speedometer. However a trailtech vapor will fix that for about $80.

Here's a list with approximate prices:

You'll need:
Headlight switch- $30
Brake switch (a trx450r master will come with an electric switch)- $30-60
Mirror- $15-20
Horn- $10

Recommended:
TRX450R master cylinder- $30-60
Chain block- $90
Stator mod and rectifier- $73

The brake switch/trx master cylinder is listed twice so don't add it twice if you're trying to get a grand total. I only add it because a hydraulic brake switch will fail over time and the trx will cost a little more, but offers way better braking performance and a dependable switch.

On my sumo that I have now I had stock hubs powder coated and laced up rims so that I could retain the stock speedometer. Not that big of a deal, I just prefer my bikes to be as close to oem as possible.

Turn signals may be required in your state, but that just requires a flasher relay (I have one that I'll give you if you need it lol).

Let me know if this isn't clear or doesn't make sense. You really can make it legal for around $100.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yes, the rims will be switched. If you go with warp 9's then you won't be able to utilize the stock speedometer. However a trailtech vapor will fix that for about $80.

Here's a list with approximate prices:

You'll need:
Headlight switch- $30
Brake switch (a trx450r master will come with an electric switch)- $30-60
Mirror- $15-20
Horn- $10

Recommended:
TRX450R master cylinder- $30-60
Chain block- $90
Stator mod and rectifier- $73

The brake switch/trx master cylinder is listed twice so don't add it twice if you're trying to get a grand total. I only add it because a hydraulic brake switch will fail over time and the trx will cost a little more, but offers way better braking performance and a dependable switch.

On my sumo that I have now I had stock hubs powder coated and laced up rims so that I could retain the stock speedometer. Not that big of a deal, I just prefer my bikes to be as close to oem as possible.

Turn signals may be required in your state, but that just requires a flasher relay (I have one that I'll give you if you need it lol).

Let me know if this isn't clear or doesn't make sense. You really can make it legal for around $100.
can't argue with crash, his write up in the yamaha forums haven't done me wrong yet, and i still have a few mods to go! getting a used trx MC is really good bang for the buck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts