SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a KTM 500EXC-F i'm building into a 90% street bike with 10% track days. No dirt in the foreseeable future. I've already installed a JD fuel tuner, Arrow slip on, de-smogged the bike, installed 17" wheels with an oversized rotor. I'm thinking about what mod I should do next. I have narrowed it down to these options. Hinson slipper clutch, X-Trig triple clamps (stock offset is 22mm), or Berringer 6 piston caliper with a radial master cylinder. All are similar in price within a few hundred dollars. What would you guys do and why?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Beringers are top quality stuff. The stock caliper/master will probably be sufficient enough for your street use but depending on how hard you go at the track, you'll probably need the brake upgrade next.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s kinda where I’m leaning towards. It just seems like the biggest safety improvement. My last race SM build had the 6 piston Beringer caliper and rotor and it was awesome. It also had the stock triples and no slipper. Problem is I’ve owned a few sportbikes with slipper clutches since then and I really love the feel of a slipper lol. Also, with the stock 22mm triples on my bike now, I can really feel how the bike just wants to go wide in a turn. My other option is to take the adjustable 20/18mm triples off my dirt bike and run them on the 500. I know 18mm offset isn’t ideal either, but it should be a noticeable improvement over the 22mm triples.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
slipper clutch is a Great thing to have on track

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
slipper clutch is a Great thing to have on track
I agree 100% That's why it's such a difficult decision between the 3 options. I haven't needed more braking power yet, but I haven't done a track day with this bike yet either. I know it will need the braking upgrade on track days for sure. I'm a big guy and even on my last build, a YZ450 with the Beringer 6 piston caliper, Beringer master, Beringer solid rotor, and RBF600 fluid, I managed to boil the fluid on short tight tracks. There's no way the stock 2 piston Brembo will hold up on track. So then the next upgrade would be the slipper or triples.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts