SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this Friday, myself and 3 other local KTM supermoto enthusiasts set out for a fun little ride. Plan was to ride from Hillsboro, NM to Silver City via Emory pass. We've done it before, and it's an awesome ride. Beautiful terrain, sweet twists and turns, and little to no traffic. About 200 miles round trip, and the perfect way to kick off the weekend.

Well, I soon found out that the Sumo gods had other plans for me.lol. You know when you keep getting signs that your luck is running out, but you just keep on pushing anyways...yeah, it was one of those days. I've got the separated shoulder, possible fractured carpal bone, and roadrash to prove it. :arsenal

Doesn't matter though, because even after a 65mph spill, other than a snapped off shifter knob, and some decal scratches, my baby is fine, and it was still a damn fine ride. That's why I love Supermoto!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I didn't see anything in the vid that would cause you to dump it?
What happened?
Just pushing to hard and ran out of tire?

Glad your ok Great vid!!

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
looks like you should be happy you crashed there and not at the 2min mark:headshake

·
Premium Member
1,323 Posts
Cool video, but keep riding like you are at 1:57 and you will be praying for just a low side instead of being dead after being run over by that truck. See those yellow lines in the center of the road? The right side of those is alllllll yours. :headscrat I'd correct this bad habit quickly before it is corrected for you.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Nice vid! But I gotta agree, 1:57 was a bit sketchy...

Hope yah heal up quick man!:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Looked like you rolled on the throttle about 1-2 seconds before the crash, textbook example of a power-up induced low side?

Heal up quick!

·
Registered
9 Posts
My favorite road in NM. Used to race the Celica GTS there.... then the bastards chip sealed the road. It was awesome with 4 sticky tires in those tight hairpin corners. Would have been superb with only two before the great gravel dump. I need to take the Husky down and play, but haven't yet... I've been concerned that all the gravel would still be there, but the road surface looks pretty good, all things considered.

Might have to plan a summer day soon.

If you've ridden here lots, I'm sure you've seen the local police in Hillsboro. Somedays I've even seen them patrol up the hill some too - so keep an eye out.

Double yellow lines just mean "pass quicker...."

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
I'm sure most street riders have passed on double yellow if they got a good clean shot. But, that crossing OP did in a blind is not smart riding. Period.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad you chaps liked the video. I'll try to address the feedback. Not make excuses, but at least give some perspective.lol. Starting with the obviously displeasing line crossing issue. Yes I realize it was stupid. No I usually don't do that. Again no excuses, but I don't want to be the SMJ paria. Actually, the reason I was cutting corners to begin with was because all 3 guys cut around a car about a minute earlier, and I didn't think I could make it, as we were coming up on a blind corner. So I had to hold off, and as a result, was trying to make up time. Lesson learned, trust me.lol.

Secondly, the crash. I feel it was s combination of things. The two guys in front of me both said they almost lost the back end on that corner. The road had been repaved recently, and had a some imperfections. On top of that, it was a decreasing radius turn, I came in too hot, around 70mph, and as was mentioned, tried to power out of the turn. The biggest factor though: pride. I wanted to keep up with the pack like nobodies business, and started riding faster than my skill level permitted.

Bowtie: yeah, I've only ridden that road twice, both after the repave. It's the best road I've ever been on. I can't wait to get back on it.lol. And we actually checked out a HPD car we always see coming into the town right before the twists. And it turned out to have a mannequin in it. Locals said it's always like that.

Sorry for the novel, but I wanted to address those issues thoroughly.lol. I'm out of town for a couple weeks, but as soon as I'm back, I'll go for round 3! Thanks for watching, hope I did SMJ proud.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Sounds like you just got caught up in the moment of "keeping up". It happens, and glad to hear your not making any bones about it and learned from it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not sure you made anybody proud, but thanks for posting the video, it was at least entertaining to watch you crash :clap: Glad you weren't injured too bad.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Heal quick! Like others have said, when I watch street vids I get the willies. And I ride street a lot on the SM myself! I've crashed BAD on the street before (compound tib/fib in 2000 in full race gear - not a scratch on me but a badly broken leg), so I don't ride anywhere near like that on the street anymore. I guess that I'm old, scared, and don't heal like I used to.

Good luck and hope you come back fast!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Cool video, but keep riding like you are at 1:57 and you will be praying for just a low side instead of being dead after being run over by that truck. See those yellow lines in the center of the road? The right side of those is alllllll yours. :headscrat I'd correct this bad habit quickly before it is corrected for you.
It so desolate in NM, that its not that bad.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts