SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here it is. I am 6'2 210. Ride to work is 60 miles round trip. Been riding a triumph tt600 and an f-150 for years now. I wanna make a change to a supermoto. I really like the wr250x. Test rode one real smooth very flickable, but would it do ok on that long of a trip? The drz is has carbs and seemed a bit bulky. Have not ridden any other sumos.

I found an 08 wr left over are there any change between then and now 2011 models?

any advice is much appreciated.

·
Registered
637 Posts
What kind of roads are those 60 miles? Backroads, the WRX will treat you like a king. Highway, and it'll treat you like a whipping boy.

·
Registered
685 Posts
IMHO the Husky SM610 with a real seat would be a better choice. If you were a smaller fellow the WRX might be better, however 30 mile trips...
good luck what ever you choose.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I had a DRZ 400 sm and Im 6'3" and at the time 230. With a tall seat,good bars,and the suspension done.(www.fastbikeindustries.com) The DRZ is a great bike. I have ridden a WRX and wasnt impressed with power or ergonomics.

Look for used models DRZ or WRX and with good aftermarket parts. Pipe and FCR 39 carb on a drz. Aftermarket pipe and progammer for WRX,you will spend up to $1000 for a pipe and programmer. Either bike can handle a long commute. Question is,can you?

Other models you can look for Husky 610/630,Ktm 625/690,or Honda XR650R (very rare to find XR street legal). Any of these bikes can handle a daily commute. They have larger oil capacity and longer oil change intervals.

You may want to stay away from converted MX bikes (CRF,YZ,KX,or RMZ),Converted Enduros (CRF450x,WR450,KLX450R,RMX,EXC), or the Race bikes like Husky 450/510,Ktm EXC models,or Aprillia SXV450/550. These bikes have rigorous maintenence schedules.

MX bikes: Poor electrical and must be upgraded. Close ratio 6sp tough to properly street gear. Alot of maintenence oil changes and valve checks. Low oil capacity for street riding.

Enduros: Better electrical and wide ratio 5sp is good for street. These bikes can handle street riding but come with simular maintence schedules as race bikes

Race Bikes: same as mx. They can be ridden on street but they require alot of work to maintain. Great weekend warrior but awful daily drivers....

Hope this helps.....

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Now that's a good thorough answer and should be made a sticky for noobs that want to know "which bike"

Not picking on ya' OP.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I used the WRX to commute 70 miles round trip. This was about 45 miles freeway/ 25 miles streets. I went to a 14T counter sprocket. It helped with freeway travel. I did this for 22 months. No issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it is about 50 miles highway 10 backroads.

thanks for all the help

Are husky's expensive to fix over the mainstream bikes?

i really like the 610 i found 1 in Jersey just thought it was a race prep deal looked sick! if thats a good commuter i am in fo sho

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a DRZ 400 sm and Im 6'3" and at the time 230. With a tall seat,good bars,and the suspension done.(www.fastbikeindustries.com) The DRZ is a great bike. I have ridden a WRX and wasnt impressed with power or ergonomics.

Look for used models DRZ or WRX and with good aftermarket parts. Pipe and FCR 39 carb on a drz. Aftermarket pipe and progammer for WRX,you will spend up to $1000 for a pipe and programmer. Either bike can handle a long commute. Question is,can you?

Other models you can look for Husky 610/630,Ktm 625/690,or Honda XR650R (very rare to find XR street legal). Any of these bikes can handle a daily commute. They have larger oil capacity and longer oil change intervals.

You may want to stay away from converted MX bikes (CRF,YZ,KX,or RMZ),Converted Enduros (CRF450x,WR450,KLX450R,RMX,EXC), or the Race bikes like Husky 450/510,Ktm EXC models,or Aprillia SXV450/550. These bikes have rigorous maintenence schedules.

MX bikes: Poor electrical and must be upgraded. Close ratio 6sp tough to properly street gear. Alot of maintenence oil changes and valve checks. Low oil capacity for street riding.

Enduros: Better electrical and wide ratio 5sp is good for street. These bikes can handle street riding but come with simular maintence schedules as race bikes

Race Bikes: same as mx. They can be ridden on street but they require alot of work to maintain. Great weekend warrior but awful daily drivers....

Hope this helps.....
+2 this is great advice. I've streeted race bikes and purpose built dual purpose bikes and I'll testify that the latter is a much better commuter from a maintenance and comfort perspective. For tearing about in the canyons or use on the track, plated race bikes rule in my opinion.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
it is about 50 miles highway 10 backroads.

thanks for all the help

Are husky's expensive to fix over the mainstream bikes?

i really like the 610 i found 1 in Jersey just thought it was a race prep deal looked sick! if thats a good commuter i am in fo sho
610 is an excellent street bike, 2500-3000 mile oil changes. Excellent power and Awesome brakes. 610 weighs about the same as DRZ. Stock seats resemble 2x4 and will need upgraded if you are going to do any commuting. Look into Renazco seats. Pricey but worth every penny.
Huskys are great bikes. However,dealer networks are spread apart. If you have one close,that's excellent. You wont walk into a dealer and find parts off the shelf like the Japanese manufactures and parts are more expensive.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Euro bikes also run the risk of getting a lemon, vs. Japanese bikes being almost identical. I had an SM610 and am back on a DR-Z.

·
Registered
637 Posts
50 miles highway, 10 backroads I wouldn't consider anything smaller than a DRZ, and truthfully, I'm not sure you'd be wild about that either.

As was mentioned before, the XR650R would be awesome for that, but plated, converted bikes are rather rare. The Husky 610 or one of the larger KTMs would also be great options.

If you just wanna have fun and aren't married to top of the line performance, a converted DR650 might work as well. Just that it's heavier than the others.

·
Registered
138 Posts
60 mile round trip? Buy a Kia rio to beat to shit on that trip and then you can get whatever kinda bad ass Supermoto you want to ride on the weekends.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I do a 50 mile commute every day on my drz, and still have plenty of bike for track days and trail riding on the weekends. Couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
138 Posts
that's a lot of miles added up over a couple years. i'm lucky i guess only have about a seven mile commute and several bikes and a truck to split those miles up on. i've had a 60 mile commute and just one bike before though and it seemed like i was constantly either washing it, changing the oil, the tires, or the chain. oh well if you don't mind all that, it sure does beat the cage.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Absolutely. If I have to drive 25 miles one way to work, I'd SOOOO much rather it be on a bike than a cage. I can make my pickup get 21 mpg, but at 50-55 with the bike, I'm saving tons of money. That's how I justify all those sticky tires and expensive oil! :bannana:

A bad ride on a bike is better than a good drive in a cage. Every time I have to bring the pickup I just keep seeing spots that "If only I was on the bike, I could get in there." It's enough to drive you crazy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts