SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm 57. I grew up riding dirt bikes, some mx racing, lots of woods riding, street riding, closed-track track-days. I have a 2000 SV650 that I'm cleaning the carbs on again. I had a 2001 KTM LC4-400E dual-sport I enjoyed riding but the 35-inch seat height and center-stand-only made the bike hard to get on and off of with my 30-inch inseam. I've wanted to ride a supermoto on the street for a long time. I figure it would be a good commute bike and also fun for short area rides. It's not clear to me how to source/build a street legal supermoto ride. What am I looking for?

1. I don't want to play the "get a title for the off-road dirt bike" game. What I start with has to be street legal to start with.

2. Fuel injected. I'm tired of cleaning carbs. I'll run ethanol-free from here on but still want to avoid carbs.

3. A 250cc won't be enough. In town it would work but the KTM 400 wasn't really enough to pass a car on a 2-lane 55 mph road. Looking for 400cc's or larger.

4. I like the idea of buying a dual-sport with the larger wheels and buying a set of smaller wheels with street tires, but the seat height has got to be lower than today's dual sports.

5. Probably going to be a KTM or Husky I'm guessing. Would love to have a Honda, Yamaha or Suzuki option but I don't see them. (If the Honda CRF250L was a 450 it would be perfect assuming smaller wheels would reduce the seat height enough for me.)

I'm really looking for some "buy this model bike and get this conversion kit" advice from people with experience. Especially from people with inseams 30 inches and lower. Used in fine.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You need a Husky 701 Supermoto.

Good luck finding a new one.

Ever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I also realize I may not have a supermoto option for my inseam. The 701 is a nice bike but 35 inch seat height is tough.

With the center-stand-only KTM I owned I had to get off the bike while holding it up - because there was no side-stand to drop on to as I rolled off. This was almost embarrassing a few times. Getting on meant leaning the bike towards me before I through a leg over - more doable. I suppose if that bike had a side stand things might have been better.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Tune up the bike ~ that you already own . . .

I'm 57 .

I grew up riding dirt bikes,
some mx racing, lots of woods riding,
street riding, closed-track track-days .

I have a 2000 S V 650 that I'm cleaning the carbs on again .

I had a 2001 KTM LC4-400E dual-sport I enjoyed riding but the 35-inch seat height
and center-stand-only made the bike hard to get on and off of with my 30-inch inseam .

I've wanted to ride a super moto on the street for a long time .

I figure it would be a good commute bike and also fun for short area rides .

It's not clear to me how to source / build a street legal super moto ride .

What am I looking for ?

1. I don't want to play the "get a title for the off-road dirt bike" game.

What I start with has to be street legal to start with.

2. Fuel injected.

I'm tired of cleaning carbs.

I'll run ethanol-free from here on but still want to avoid carbs.

3. A 250cc won't be enough.

In town it would work but the KTM 400
wasn't really enough to pass a car on a 2-lane 55 mph road .

Looking for 400 cc's or larger .

4. I like the idea of buying a dual-sport with the larger wheels
and buying a set of smaller wheels with street tires,
but the seat height has got to be lower than today's dual sports .

5. Probably going to be a KTM or Husky I'm guessing .

Would love to have a Honda,
Yamaha or Suzuki option but I don't see them .

( If the Honda C R F 250 L was a 450 it would be perfect assuming smaller wheels would reduce the seat height enough for me . )

I'm really looking for some
"buy this model bike and get this conversion kit"
advice from people with experience .

Especially from people with inseams 30 inches and lower.

Used in fine .

·
Registered
220 Posts
I may be wrong, but it seems to me all Supermoto bikes are tall. Pick the one you like and lower it with the dog bone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LOL! The motarded SV pic is great! Thanks! Made me laugh. That one is fuel injected too. Very nice.

Yeah I'm guessing they're all tall and I'm going to have to lower them a little.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I think the SM versions are already lower than the equivalent off road version courtesy of the smaller wheels.
The 701 has shorter forks than the Enduro so should be lower still. I bought the short side stand for my 690E when I converted it.

My GF is pretty short. I put SM wheels on a KTM525, and shortened the forks and shock. Same height and weight as the Suzuki GS125 she learned on. Somewhat better throttle response and braking power.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I hate to say it but short inseam is always going to be a little rough. I got a 30 in inseam myself and ride a ktm 625 smc. I can not stand flat foot on the bike I can barely touch on the tips of my toes. having said that a sumo is a bit different in how you ride it. your on paved even roads not offroad like a enduro were the ground is uneven. it is possible to shave your seat on most sumos and get about an inch reduction in height. also most bikes have a link rear suspension that can be lowered about 1.5 inches. with the I thing you could make it comfortable to ride.
the smc I consider tall but it prolly isn't as tall as some of the other sumos. If the lc4 didn't have enough power for you don't buy a drz or wr250x as you won't be happy. you might be able to do a xr650r and be happy but you most likely be for a ktm husky ect.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Check out the K0UBA links ~ my BRP XR650R has em . . .

I hate to say it but short inseam is always going to be a little rough .

I got a 30 in inseam myself and ride a ktm 625 smc .

I can not stand flat foot on the bike I can barely touch on the tips of my toes .

Having said that a sumo is a bit different in how you ride it .

You'rE on paved even roads not off road like a enduro were the ground is uneven .

It is possible to shave your seat on most sumos and get about an inch reduction in height .

Also most bikes have a link rear suspension that can be lowered about 1.5 inches .

With them I think you could make it comfortable to ride .

The smc I consider tall but it probably isn't as tall as some of the other sumos .

If the lc4 didn't have enough power for you don't buy a drz or wr250x as you won't be happy .

You might be able to do an xr650r and be happy but you most likely be for a ktm husky ect.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Since used is fine, there's no reason not to look for already plated Japanese bikes if that's what you're into. Most, if not all, can be lowered with links/raising forks and/or seat foam options (Seat Concepts offers Low, Standard (stock) and Tall seat foam configs). Dirt bikes are tall, converted dirt bikes (supermoto) are subtly less tall and beyond that you have to customize. I chose a WR450F with the 5-valve head and EFI.

*edit - since you're a Suzi guy, here's one for sale
http://supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?203554-2015-Suzuki-RMZ-450-street-legal

·
Registered
816 Posts
Don't buy something and lower it. It messes up handling and in general makes it less of a bike.

If you have to flat foot at stop signs, you shouldn't be buying a supermoto, period.

My advice is to man up and learn how to ride a tall bike with your height limitations.

It this guy can do it, so can you:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Don't buy something and lower it. It messes up handling and in general makes it less of a bike.
This has not been my experience, although I'm not sure of the "less of a bike" claim.
I have a 525SX converted. When I got it it had been lowered significantly by shortening the forks and shock. I mainly raced on tarmac, but also some Sumo with jumps as big as is common. It seemed fine. The biggest problem was a little too easy to scrape the pegs (see avitar). It was like a 54hp mini bike.
I've since fitted another set of suspension, not as short, but not quite full MX length. Still handles great (the valving is better - done by an expert). Now knee down the peg sliders don't touch.

Obviously keeping the geometry correct, by lowering both ends would be the starting point. Then tune with sliding forks in the triple clamps, and/or rear sag.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I agree, that was my bad suggestion. When I got my 701 it was the tallest bike I ever owned and it took some getting used to. I'm on my tip-toes at stop. I wouldn't change a thing, now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How about a KTM 690 Enduro?

I was looking for an Enduro I could ride on the street including freeway, and after lots of research, that's what I bought.

They are almost the same bike as the 701, but been out longer, so much easier to find a used one and save some cash.

I found mine, a 2015, at the local KTM dealer with 2500 miles on it, and about $3k worth of quality upgrades.

The dealer recommended the Warp 9 Supermoto kit, as its excellent quality at a good price. Paid $1500 for the complete kit.

Couldn't be happier. Now I have an Enduro and a Supermoto.

Supermoto wheels/tires are the way to go for the street!

Bike sits a couple inches lower with the 17" wheels.

You could lower the suspension a little more if you wanted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
What about, a KTM 990 SM (Super Duke)? I know, not a single, not a dirt bike with wheels, but tons of fun, lower seat than many other options. I have both a KTM 990 and a couple of supermoto singles ('Berg & Husky), and only in the tightest and bumpyest roads does the 990 feel heavier and bulkier.

Or, what about a KTM 690 Duke. Again, I know, not a supermoto, but a lower seat height than the 690 enduros or SMs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How about a KTM 690 Enduro?

I was looking for an Enduro I could ride on the street including freeway, and after lots of research, that's what I bought.

They are almost the same bike as the 701, but been out longer, so much easier to find a used one and save some cash.

I found mine, a 2015, at the local KTM dealer with 2500 miles on it, and about $3k worth of quality upgrades.

The dealer recommended the Warp 9 Supermoto kit, as its excellent quality at a good price. Paid $1500 for the complete kit.

Couldn't be happier. Now I have an Enduro and a Supermoto.

Supermoto wheels/tires are the way to go for the street!

Bike sits a couple inches lower with the 17" wheels.

You could lower the suspension a little more if you wanted.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
You need a Husky 701 Supermoto.

Good luck finding a new one.

Ever.
Overweight and over priced pig.

Ktm 500 EXC you can lower it a littel to fit ur inseam. sumo wheels can be bought for $500 if you look hard enough.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts