SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in my early 50's and have been riding since about 18.

Street bikes much more than dirt, but intermediate dirt skills.

Currently I own a GSX R1000 and have been doing track days for over 5 years both here and in Cal. Typically as a mid "B" group rider.

I'm thinking about getting into SuperMoto. I took a demo ride on a WR250x a few days ago and it was seriously cool. :thumbup:

So my question is how tough is it for an old fart like me, with more street bike than MX bike experience, to get into SuperMoto?

Also, is there a masters or similar class, or even a rookie class if I wanted to try out some local races?

Lastly, how much tolerance is there for slower beginner riders?

I assume that it's all cool, as I've rarely met anyone but cool people while cycling, but I wanted to throw this out there for some feedback and suggestions.

Also, I'm looking for a KTM 450 or 525 - 530 EXC or XC-W as my moto bike, as I want to be able to do street as well on the bike and like the 6th gear, e-start, etc.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
No other style of bike is as immediately comfortable as a supermoto bike. After the first day, you'll love it. Your age is really a non-factor, unless you want to try 40' doubles.

The racing side of it is far more relaxed than sportbike stuff. Everybody is cool with new guys and glad to see them. I think you'll be surprised at the track, that there are many guys just like you. Supermoto trackdays are like going to a backyard bbq. If these guys were any more laid-back they wouldn't be breathing.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
So my question is how tough is it for an old fart like me, with more street bike than MX bike experience, to get into SuperMoto?
You will fit right in. What part of CA. are you in?

You need to head out to Adams Kart Track in Riverside, or Grange Circuit in the high desert to meet some folks and see what it is all about. MUCH more relaxed track days, and most only use dirt sections in the afternoons or on specific days, so it is like a slower, more technical paved track day.

The So Cal race scene has a bunch of mid40 - 50+ riders. Larmo on here is doing outstanding this season and I usually mix it up with guys like MountainMoto. You can do Beginner or 40+ Vet class and have a blast. I've done both with my stock DRZ400SM last year and it was a great experience.

Check the "Local Rides" section for events in San Diego like Qualcomm Stadium (all pavement, future small metal ramps) and the very cool Sttars Series that runs Willow Springs Horse Thief Mile, Buttonwillow Raceway, etc. as well as other spots.

The dirt sections are fairly short, with easy jumps and a couple turns (No do or die Supercross type stuff), and the pavement transition should be easy for you, as I ride with a combo style of knee down and flattrack. Supermoto is all about what works for you... and if you are having fun, it's working!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,100 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Don't listen to Brakelate he is crazy! Just kidding I can almost keep up with him in the canyons. I went from sport bikes to street legal motard bikes. Have 2 now. 50 mph slower on top end but 500% more fun factor!!!!Plus my tendonitous (tennis elbow) cleared up within a month. As they say"once you try it ,you'll never go back!" Plus I am 71 years old!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't listen to Brakelate he is crazy! Just kidding I can almost keep up with him in the canyons. I went from sport bikes to street legal motard bikes. Have 2 now. 50 mph slower on top end but 500% more fun factor!!!!Plus my tendonitous (tennis elbow) cleared up within a month. As they say"once you try it ,you'll never go back!" Plus I am 71 years old!
71! LOL your one fast old fart! :lol: That's cool and hillarious at the same time! Hopefully I'm still going at it at that age. I've always loved riding, so this seems pretty cool.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I should have mentioned I'm now in SLC UT area, after living is No. Cal. most of my life (San Jose area).

Thunder Hill used to be my primary track, but also Buttonwillow and Laguna.

My sister lives in Temecula so I can make the So. Cal. area on occasion.

Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm going to do it! Just need to pull the trigger on getting a recent model KTM EXC.

P.S. to all the Cal street riders, I've been riding the streets of Ca., including heavy commuting, since the mid '80s. Rarely had any issues or problems. Moved to UT a few years ago and almost got wiped twice in the first week of riding streets. Peope out here drive like idiots! There is very little bike awareness. Cal is much cooler to ride!

P.S.S. the one super cool thing for riding out here is Miller Motorsports Track. It has got to be the most awesome raceway I have been on. They host World Superbike there and I go every year. The track is awesome to ride on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got my bike!

Just purchased a 2008 KTM 530 EXC and a set of moto wheels and tires!

Bike is in good shape and I am now going thru KTMtalk and ThumperTalk looking for set up suggestions.

I just want the weather to clear up no long enough to go for a ride!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Congrats on the bike and welcome to SMJ!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I should have mentioned I'm now in SLC UT area, after living is No. Cal. most of my life (San Jose area).
Come check out SMUSA at the next round (West Coast Moto Jam at Infineon).
We'll make sure you end up with a motard alright! :D

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
Step one. Good deal.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts