SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the time has come, i need more oomph on my bike...i was considering a trade for a drz, but it felt heavy and poorly made, then i looked at the yamaha, but dont feel like spending the dough....so now im thinking 351 kit....whats the peppy level? Some people say that its not worth it, but some say its as zippy as a stock drz.....and the most important thing is wheelie capabilities......can you get the bike to balance point? And if so, whats its wheelie limits?
Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
351 turns y our bike from a weed whacker to a thumper.

Throttle wheelies in first gear even with a 15 tooth front sprocket. Balance point? I could flip it backwards like nothing. I started covering the rear brake when doing wheelies and now am more confident.

It will have more than enough balls to get you into trouble.

Stopped at an intersection. Took off, front wheel lifted, bike went straight I was going to turn, but the front wheel was not on the ground.
Turned a city corner early this spring with a new rear tire. Goosed the throttle, rear wheel spun right out from under me, down I went (black top).
I did not expect those things to happen.

Same 300 lb bike with a whole bunch more pulling power (torque)

I never drove a DRZ so Idunno about that one.

My bike runs better than I thought it could. I did the work last fall a few thousand miles ago and it still puts a huge smile on my face EVERY time I ride it.

Its the best money you could spend on your bike.

ONLY YOU can decide
David

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
great to hear, ill start pimping myself out and should get it by the end of the weekend, how hard was it to install?
Im mechanically retarded, so im thinking i should have it done somewhere, any tips on that as well?
And what is the "lift up" factor in 6th gear?
Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have this vivid picture in my head of me holding the handle bars of a YZ250 (RM250?) sliding down the road on my ass with the bike upside down in front of me front tire in my face.

This really happened about 25 years ago.

On my KLX I loft the front wheel till it winds up in first and call it a day. Cover the rear brake.

I wear gear too.

David

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'll be dreaming of the 351 kit for a while. I'm saving up for the FMF Q4 and a DJ ket for now. Its not that I'm broke, I'm just letting you guys do the testing :D

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just installed the 351 and now have about 350 miles on it.

Just like everyone says, it's the absolute best bang for the buck for this bike.

·
Registered
612 Posts
This is good to hear, I'm getting ready to order the 351 kit, but was wondering the same things. I came off of a DRZsm, and motoed my KLX250, and I really miss being able to power wheelie. I have to clutch the shit out of my KLX and I always feel like I'm beating it to death. The bike Is so much lighter than the DRZ and rides so much better. If the 351 kit will give me DRZ power in a 250 frame I'll be one happy man. Plus it's a 6 speed

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
k, next question, how intense is the build?
Im a punk ass 17yo that has a little mechanical sense, but have never taken apart and engine this thoroughly, and expected it to run again...I was thinking about taking it to a shop, but i really want to learn the tricks of the trade, any ideas?
Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts