SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The vehicle will be registered in Texas so specific information on Texas laws would be greatly appreciated.

What two strokes would be be suitable for street use/ "light" hooliganism?

What was the last year the manufacturers produced street legal two strokes?

Also, if someone could comprise a list of factory street legal smokers.

I can't find anything…. I never have to use the highway and my average speed is 45mph around town.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
KTM EXC's are the only ones I know of...

EDIT: There's also a goofy KDX, but it LOVES to melt stock pistons... And 220cc's? Uh, no thanks...

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
The mid 80s were the last years for street legal bikes from the factory. Government regulations made them illegal. Don't think the KTM is street legal from factory. If you want one,look for ones already titled. Easy to transfer once someone else has done the legwork. If your state is lax and will allow street titling,then do it!

·
Registered
603 Posts
One of my favorite "older" two stroke, somewhat motardish bikes is a Yamaha TDR. You can still find them occasionally. I'm sure you're talking a bit more modern though.

The Yamaha TDR 250 is a dual purpose motorcycle manufactured by Yamaha between 1988 and 1993. It is powered by a two-stroke parallel twin engine utilizing the Yamaha Power Valve System (YPVS). Designed to provide agile handling and quick acceleration for both on and off road use. It was the world's first two stroke to use a CDI ignition and digital advance system.
The engine is essentially a Yamaha TZR250 unit with a modified power delivery to suit the TDR's intended use.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Most of the KTM Exc's are legal. Well have a road title anyway. Mine's barely legal.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of my favorite "older" two stroke, somewhat motardish bikes is a Yamaha TDR. You can still find them occasionally. I'm sure you're talking a bit more modern though.

The Yamaha TDR 250 is a dual purpose motorcycle manufactured by Yamaha between 1988 and 1993. It is powered by a two-stroke parallel twin engine utilizing the Yamaha Power Valve System (YPVS). Designed to provide agile handling and quick acceleration for both on and off road use. It was the world's first two stroke to use a CDI ignition and digital advance system.
The engine is essentially a Yamaha TZR250 unit with a modified power delivery to suit the TDR's intended use.
That TDR looks like an interesting bike to say the least. Reminds me of the KTM 990s.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
one thing I'm unsure about is the exhaust. The silencer on the kx250 I bought to plate says "not for road use" on the back of the can. So I don't know if that's going to cause problems. Find out soon enough.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
one thing I'm unsure about is the exhaust. The silencer on the kx250 I bought to plate says "not for road use" on the back of the can. So I don't know if that's going to cause problems. Find out soon enough.

If you get a stickler, he'll look all over your bike and hang you for it.

...IF, you get a stickler.

All the way from tires, to the brake lines.

But what are the odds, and can you beat it in court?

I argued a speeding ticket I got in a Toyota one time. I had pics when I had stock tires, and I was running taller tires...

Showed them to the judge and told him I changed them back to stock and here were the pics to prove it. He said it was the last time he'd do it, but he threw it out.

lol, old pics too... I didn't change a damn thing. Went in there with the same tires I argued were at-fault for my speedo reading low.

It's not likely the judge will walk out and inspect your bike right then and there...

/shrug/

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
We have pretty slack rules in Texas. If I was going build a street legal smoker, there's no way I wouldnt get anything other than a ktm 300. They still make them and I think you can still get them with head/ tail lights. That would be the hardest part with other bikes.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
And if you do want to go the UJM rout, go on Ricky Stator's site and you can find what 2t's he sells parts for... Or goog and see if a stator off one bike will cross to another...

But get ready for close ratio 5 speeds, and peeky powerbands.

And I can't prove it, but IMO, KTM top-ends will far outlast a Japanese counterpart...

IMO, the EXC's either have another ring & a more mellow powerband (to last longer) or they have weighted flywheels in comparison of their more peeky MX or SX counterparts.

I think EXC's have 6 speeds...

Either way, they're a wide ratio, unlike a XC or SX. The W in XC-W stands for wide ratio and I'm pretty sure I've read where the W is the EXC gears.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
EXC's are a Wide ratio 5 speed. I actually dont mind mine at all at 15-45. It'll do over 100 and has power everywhere. I would go down a bit though for more speed. The 300's have an extremely long lasting top end. they can go as long as 200-250 hours between piston changes. I'm pretty sure they didnt put a 6 speed in until this year.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
We have pretty slack rules in Texas. If I was going build a street legal smoker, there's no way I wouldnt get anything other than a ktm 300. They still make them and I think you can still get them with head/ tail lights. That would be the hardest part with other bikes.
they make lighting stators for just about everything, I do however agree that you a 300 is the better choice. I got the kx for dirt cheap, so it was the obvious choice for me. I do want a 300 tard, but even the cheapest one I've seen was more than twice what the kx cost me with all the money I've had to put into it so far. Someday, until then the kx will have to do. :thumbup:

as far as what I mentioned before..

It passed inspection just fine, there's no emissions laws here so it doesn't matter. I went to the tax office to get my plates but they want me to get it inspected by law enforcement (form 68-a) the reason they say is that the title states it is MV motor vehicle and not MC motorcycle, so I have to have an officer look at it and verify "yup, it's a motorcycle" so make sure you get something with MC on the title and avoid this headache.

·
Registered
412 Posts
To answer one of your original questions, the last year of the street legal 2Stroke was 1986 it was the Yamaha RZ350. Not counting scooters and Bimota's attempt at 2stroke injection in 1997.

2Strokes for life!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
List of state laws for off road conversions to on-rad conversions

WWW.AAMVA.ORG
HAS THE LIST OF STATE LAWS
"REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES ORIGINALLY MANUFACTURED AS OFF-RAOD THAT HAVE BEEN CONVERTED TO ON-ROAD". as of 10-13-2011
If you look closely in the frst colum under "JURISDICATION"
you will find the Email address on who is in charge of that states info.

I need your guys help to put this in a post tittle as i am a new guy here and do not know the way to do this correctly.
I and others have a hard time finding them and I registered here just to help you guys out. I also need to be informed about your other stuff.
You can also buy an older street legal frame and make a jig to change the steering head that has the serial number on it for street use. Just be sure to get a professional welder to weld it on correctly.

I hope this helps you guys out
greenbomb

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just plated my KX500 in CA. It is impossible to plate a 2 stroke in California unless it was done before 2002 or came street titled. But I found a loophole wich may be the same in other states. I had 2 titles because I took the engine from a 91 KX500 and put it in a 04 KX250f frame.(one for the 91' engine and one for the 04' frame) I had to surrender both titles and apply for a custom build title. (law says if you build it you can register it for the road) I was issued a new vin# and the new title had the engine # from the KX500. Paid taxes on the declared value, registration fees, and got motorcycle plates in the mail with no inspection. A month later DMV sent me a letter saying that they were going to suspend the registration unless I sent proof on insurance. I went to see my insurance agent and since it was a custom build on the title, liability only coverage was $528 per year. The other bad news is that since I surrendered the offroad title it is no longer off road licensed. Oh well I guess the high insurance and road only license is the price I paid to have a street legal KX500. I put a lighting stator, 12v batt, regulator, headlight, tail/brake and one little mirror on. I have been at stop signs and passed by the Highway Patrol and they don't even look hard at me.

·
Registered
412 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts