SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What motor oil is everyone using? I know KTM recommends Motorex in my 525 EXC, but it aint easy to find around me. I'll order some for oil changes from now on, but Im going for a decent ride this weekend, and want fresh oil. Any suggestions on oil I can find at a regular Big 4 dealer around here?

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
honoustly, run any oil you like. there's tons of good options out there.

in my old 450 exc I always ran Denicol thumper lube 10w40 and it lasted over 400 hours without a hitch.

I'll even go so far as saying that I'd rather stay away from the motorex stuff. it's definately not better than any of the other decent motorcycle oils out there yet they charge a ridiculous amount of a money for a quart.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Damn, I'm glad to hear that Skully. I wasn't looking forward to spending $200+ to special order oil to ge shipped.
Should I just look for a comparable 10/60 bike oil? Or a different weight?

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I use Amsoil 20W50 in my 510 and 690. Seems to work fine for $12 a quart.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
+1 on the Amsoil. Use it in my 625. Hoping it will prolong the life of my rocker bearings. Only time will tell.
+3 on the Amsoil 20-50w

·
Registered
142 Posts
l have access to full esters 00w 50 race synthetic oil. Do you think it would be OK?

Actually, where l am Motorex is about $12/liter so it isn't so expensive compared to other brands.

·
Registered
920 Posts
+3 on the Amsoil 20-50w
amsoil rocks! I use it in everything now, cars, bikes, etc. You can join their "preferred members" club for $10 a year i think. Get's you dealer pricing on all their stuff, oil, filters, etc. easily makes up for the $10 club charge

·
Registered
316 Posts
silkolene pro 4 10-40 fully synthetic.

·
Registered
408 Posts
AMSOIL FTW :bannana:

·
Registered
125 Posts
In 2004 the ktm factory supermoto team was using delo 400 I have also used it but I do change it every race because its cheap. I did a 525 exc motor for a guy and his first ride was in baha with a group of guys and a chase rig they rode 2000 miles over eight days and he never changed the oil. I told him the warranty was up when he told me about the trip. He was using delo 400 15/40

·
Registered
28 Posts
Anything 10W 40 full synthetic I'll use. I know a few guys who run semi synthetic without issue though.

Usually just a Motul 1L container and throw it in. Oil change in 15 mins.

·
Premium Member
6,598 Posts
Why would you guys use 20W? That's horrible for the engine. You are preventing proper lubrication at start-up. You need oil flow not pressure for proper lubrication.
round here there's a lot of of bikes running belray thumper 20w50, most of them have a couple 100 hours under their belt without any issues. nothing wrong with using 20w in the right conditions. once winter sets in and things get a bit colder we switch to 10w40.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I've got 5000 miles on my 510 using Amsoil 20W50, runs like madd, screens and drain plug magnet are always clean when I do a change, does not clatter on start up either. Full synthetic oil leaves a nice film behind so it nevers starves for lube.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Why would you guys use 20W? That's horrible for the engine. You are preventing proper lubrication at start-up. You need oil flow not pressure for proper lubrication.

Take a look at: http://www.supramania.com/aehaas/

I am switching to T6 5w-40 on my next oil change.
With lows in the 70's and high's in the 90's ,and running 300+ miles on wkend rides...The Amsoil 20-50 never has left hardly a trace in the screens or the tranny feeling notchey...Not easy miles either.

·
Registered
76 Posts
With lows in the 70's and high's in the 90's ,and running 300+ miles on wkend rides...The Amsoil 20-50 never has left hardly a trace in the screens or the tranny feeling notchey...Not easy miles either.
I was referring to the 20W, which is the cold start temperature viscosity. The miles and operating temperature has nothing to do with the cold start viscosity. A 0W-50 and 50W-50 have the same viscosity at operating temp. At cold start however, even a 0W is more viscous than the operating temperature viscosity of a 50 oil. Again like I said, you need flow for proper lubrication. Increasing the viscosity lowers the flow. There is absolutely no gain going from 10W to 20W.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I was referring to the 20W, which is the cold start temperature viscosity. The miles and operating temperature has nothing to do with the cold start viscosity. A 0W-50 and 50W-50 have the same viscosity at operating temp. At cold start however, even a 0W is more viscous than the operating temperature viscosity of a 50 oil. Again like I said, you need flow for proper lubrication. Increasing the viscosity lowers the flow. There is absolutely no gain going from 10W to 20W.
No...The outside temps have alot to do with it ,and i'm not starting a oil debate..In the KTM owners manual i am quoting: operating temperatures above 0*C or 32*F recommened oil is 10-50 for temps under 0*C 32*F is 5-40 + the builder of my engine uses Amsoil so i'm not arguing with that. So use what you want it's your bike.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts