SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So in my search for a sumo I've been trying to track down a Yamaha wr450. I talked to some guy from craigslist who was selling one, but said he wasn't sure that it would be a good bike for riding on the street because his bike(2006) doesn't have an oil pump, they were just designed so the oil would get tossed around by the transmission. I looked it up on bikebandit and found a diagram of the oil pump for that year, so I'm not really sure what he was talking about. Is he just crazy, or is there actually something about the oil system on the wr450s that would make them less than ideal for road use??

There's a place not too far away that has a KTM 625 smc that I may go check out instead, but I really liked the fact that the yamaha was about 70lbs lighter, plus looks better in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
well if its a 2006 model WR it is actually a dry sump system and has no issues on the street. I have an 05 YZ same motor and let me tell you fun!!!

Now if it was the later 07 aluminum frame WR it may be a wet system but still no issues. Most of these bikes are that way.

Get it and grip and rip! that guys clueless from what you've said.

z

·
Registered
307 Posts
The guy selling the bike is just clueless.
The usual. :)

ALL WR-450Fs have an oil pump.
How else would the engine oil make it's way up the itty-bitty little passages to the top end of the engine, or through the little tunnels through the crankshaft to oil the big end of the connecting rod?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to hear! I think I'm still gonna go check out that 625smc in the mean time because it sounds like a good deal, but I"m glad that I can keep the wr450 on my list.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts