SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2008 WRX with just under 1k miles. I changed the oil and filter last night and the bike only took about 40 oz. I didn't move the bike off of the side stand during removal. I believe the capacity is just under 44 oz. After putting in 40 oz. I stood the bike up and the oil was in the middle of the sight glass. I started it up thinking that the filter area would fill up and I would need to top the oil off but the wasn't the case. I'll take it out for two mile blast and see where i'm at. Anyone else have the same thing happen to them? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
If your oil is in the right spot on your sight glass while bike is sitting straight up, you're good man.

Don't sweat it.

Run the bike for a minute of two and double check.

Still in proper place on sight glass? You're good.

Take for short ride. Triple check. Still in proper place in sight glass?

Ride 'er like you stole her.............

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I thought, but just making sure. I've had a bunch of bikes including a Ducati so I know how different and quirky bikes can be. Appreciate the info.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Yep.

I do a shit load of double-checking for about a week after an oil change.

Looking for leaks, and checking level.

After that.....just ride and smile.

Be damn careful with the torque on oil filter cover bolts.

They're like butter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was careful with the filter case bolts, they seemed soft. I'm taking it out now and will report back if anyone is curious like me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Definitely be careful with the filter-cover bolts. It's worth buying a torque-wrench that goes down that low. 86.4 inch-pounds is a ridiculously low torque. I sheared one of those bolts off once. After I finished vomiting, I was able to slot what was left of it with a dremel and back it out with a screwdriver.

As per the oil-level, I always carefully measure out the quantity of oil listed in the owner's manual using a graduated pitcher. And my oil level has always been above the glass when the bike is upright on a level surface.

·
Registered
114 Posts
oil needs to be halfway on the site glass with bike straight up. You dont want to much oil that can cause problems.
In that case, the quantity of oil specified in the owner's manual is excessive.

What do you mean "above"?
What I mean by "above" is that when the bike is level the window is completely submerged in oil and there is no air visible.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
In that case, the quantity of oil specified in the owner's manual is excessive.

What I mean by "above" is that when the bike is level the window is completely submerged in oil and there is no air visible.

Then it's my understanding that you are filling your bike with too much oil.

You should definitely see a line where oil and air meet in your site glass when bike is upright, off side stand, on level ground, and not running.

·
Registered
107 Posts
lol its common knowledge that it needs to be like have full in the site glass. I dont care what the manual says mine has been the same for 26,000 miles so i think i got a pretty good gage on where it needs to be

·
Registered
319 Posts
I also only fill enough Oil to half way up on the site glass. I think anything more is to much. But if you use the specs in the manual it will not harm the engine.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just throwing in my 2cents, but I'd venture to guess that when the manufacturer says how much oil an engine holds, they are pretty accurate. However, there is the inherent issue that once you put oil into a motor it is impossible to get it all back out, no matter how long you let it drain. A couple ounces isn't much, I could easily see 3-4 ounces clinging to the walls and hiding in all of the nookes and crannies of an engine.

Fill it to the center, or towards the top, of the sight window and ride.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I changed mine the other day, but didn't change the filter.

About 40 ounces came out and I put 40 ounces in. It shows around the high mark on the sight window. The manual said it should have taken 44 ounces.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts