SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may actually need my air conditioner one of these days--------

My PU's air conditioner has always been fast and strong. Last Summer it got weaker and weaker---by Fall pretty much kaput.

I'm pretty sure that the compressor, controls, etc. are fine, but there is definitely a small leak somewhere. (Drops on the garage floor.) I imagine that the old tubes need replacing. (I seem to hear that more and more--------.)

Am hoping that there is someone local on this Forum who works with same. I live in Beaverton. Replies and PM's are welcome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
You may want to just try a recharge with leak stop. Go to your local parts store and grab a can. I have a 95 Dakota that needs a can of 134a yearly. It's just a simple can of freon with leak stop and oil you hook onto the system while running. The can has a gauge but I just add it until the air coming out, on high, is cold as it used to be. It's not like the old days where compressors were fragile and leak stop was poison. Unless it's an out of control leak where you're losing it monthly it's what I suggest 9 times out of 10. Some of them also come with a dye additive and a light pen so you can actually find the leak that it has "sealed" so you can if need be replace what's needed.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Do not use the stop leak stuff.......do not use it.

The shit will plug up other orifices and not allow the system to work correctly. It still IS the old system and compressors are even more sensitie than old ones.......

PM me your # if you want and I can let you know all you want on the subject.... free of charge. hahaha no punn intended there. There is a about 200+ lbs in the high side of some systems and cheap shit can cost you more in the long run.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Like I said that's what it used to do. The new formulas just don't work like that and it's just not true. I'm not selling the stuff so whatever but it's certainly not going to harm the system and is always worth a first try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts