SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago I installed a PCIII USB, a No-toil Super-Flo Kit, and I removed the hinged airbox lid (not the flapper) entirely. I did do the flapper mod as well in order to reduce weight and clutter. I also installed a water-resistant snowmobile intake cover in the side-panel that goes over the airbox.

I noticed that the bike was much smoother. Less engine braking and lurching when rolling off of the throttle. At the time, I didn't perceive a discernible increase in acceleration. But I didn't really care. The bike was smoother and it sounded amazing!

As I said, that was a year ago. Over the last year, I've been really apprehensive about riding in the rain. This is because I've been worried about getting water in the airbox. Riding in the rain is a pretty frequent thing for me because the 250X is all I have in the way of transportation.

Earlier this week, I got caught in a big storm with pouring rain and high winds. When I finally got home, I inspected the catch-tube under the airbox and found that it was full of water. So, yeah, if you remove your airbox lid, try to avoid riding in the rain.

The forecast indicated high chances of precipitation for the rest of the week so I knew I had to do something. I didn't want to reinstall the airbox lid because I didn't feel like re-flashing the PowerCommander. So I opted to reinstall the airbox lid after drilling a 3.5 inch diameter hole in it. I reasoned that this would go a long way toward keeping the water out. It did keep the water out. However, after riding for a year with the lid off, I immediately noticed how unresponsive the bike was to throttle inputs of all magnitudes, even with the 3.5 inch diameter hole in the lid. Needless to say, the lid came back off very quickly. I carry it with me now and if it looks like rain, I can slap it on as a last resort.

I guess I'm trying to say two things:

1. If you remove your airbox lid, beware of riding in the rain.

2. If you've settled for the flapper mod, or even drilled holes in your airbox lid, you stand to gain even more by removing the airbox lid entirely*.

Sorry for the long post.

*Installation of a fuel programmer wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I slapped the airbox lid on after I noticed water in the airbox. I find the only difference is the bike is a little quieter. I have the flapper removed BTW.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Not to be taken the wrong way - just trying to understand.

When you say "lid" do you mean the door that allows access to the air filter? I assume that's what you mean.

Also, it appears you cut a hole in your side panel, and that's what you put the "water resistant" cover on?

I have my airbox door removed, but no hole cut in side panel. I haven't been caught in monster downpour yet so I have no idea if I'd have the same issue or not.

I wonder how much that hole in your side panel contributed to your water issue though.

Water resistant is not the same thing as water proof.

This is an interesting thread. I hope others with the airbox door removed will comment on their rain riding experiences.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not to be taken the wrong way - just trying to understand.

When you say "lid" do you mean the door that allows access to the air filter? I assume that's what you mean.

Also, it appears you cut a hole in your side panel, and that's what you put the "water resistant" cover on?

I have my airbox door removed, but no hole cut in side panel. I haven't been caught in monster downpour yet so I have no idea if I'd have the same issue or not.

I wonder how much that hole in your side panel contributed to your water issue though.

Water resistant is not the same thing as water proof.

This is an interesting thread. I hope others with the airbox door removed will comment on their rain riding experiences.
By lid I am referring to the door that allows access to the filter. I have a snowmobile intake kit installed in the side panel so it is not actually a hole. You are correct about the difference between water-proof and water-resistant. However, when I removed the side-panel to inspect the airbox, the area around the snowmobile intake kit was dry. The water seemed to be entering at the forward lower corner of the airbox door-opening.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man, I really wanted to do the airbox mod when I was going to buy my power commander, but now I don't know... :headshake
Dude, this mod is totally worth it. You should totally go for it. I only posted this to warn about the possibility of having water enter through the airbox door.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
i thought you were talking about the actual air box lid where the flapper valve was. thats the piece i gutted and then added 6 1 inch air box vents to the door which you are referring to as the lid.

i ride a bit offroad in sometimes dry dusty conditions so i didnt wanna run my bike with the door completely removed and i hear its a lot louder. i'm sure the screen filters are giving me plenty of extra air between the 6 of them but i dont think itd be an issue even in hard rain. i could however see water coming in the lid where the flapper was if it was raining hard enough and getting under the seat somehow but never looked close at it to see if thats even really possible.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Dude, this mod is totally worth it. You should totally go for it. I only posted this to warn about the possibility of having water enter through the airbox door.
Awesome, thanks for the info man! I will surely check other threads about the airbox mod. :thumbup:

·
Registered
202 Posts
like he said totally worth it. just place a rag or two in there before you wash and remember don't ever get caught in the rain or run through big mud puddles. common sense... i have holes cut on the panel also. no problems with water ever

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
remember don't ever get caught in the rain
How the hell do you do that?

Do you just never ride if the forecast calls for any more than 20% chance of rain?

I've ridden my X to work everyday since Memorial Day weekend.

It's been rained on a few times in the parking lot, and a light sprinkle on the way home a few days ago.

I assume you don't use your bike as a commuter at all. That 10 hour-ish window is too long to bet on the weather if you absolutely can't ride in any rain.

·
Registered
202 Posts
well i am not dumb enough to ride in the rain. if you have your airbox opened up.

if you assume its going to rain don't ride

and yea i don't ride my wr to work everyday that's just mainly for weekend hooligans and after work. g/f and i work at the same place. 2up on the wr. no thanks.

so the boosted ecotec is the daily commuter. :Funny:

·
Registered
365 Posts
I left the airbox door on and just ripped the top of the airbox off.
Been that way for almost 3 years.
Been in some pretty heavy rain and have never had a problem with water in my airbox.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Yeah - I like riding my X way too much to restrict my riding to just days when there's only a 100% chance of no rain.

Obviously no airbox door AND added holes in the side panel would be very restrictive that way.

I'll be keeping an eye on my airbox after any adventures in the rain. I'd think it would have to be one hell of a monsoon with some extended ride time for water to work it's way into airbox,

I'll keep my eyes open for it though. Tuesday looks like a 40% chance of rain.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is nearly impossible for water to get under the seat so I don't worry much about the top of the airbox. The removed airbox door is another matter. I always ride with a mountainsmith lumbar pack and I carry the airbox along with the requisite tools so that I can put it back on if it looks like rain. I do plenty of rain-riding. Riding in the rain is actually pretty fun. The sucky part is having to hose the bike off and re-lube everything.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Guys....nowadays a little water going be sucked into the motor is not going to do any damage. Ok..ok I am an old fart, been riding dirt and street bikes for around 35 years. And I have taken many dirt bikes with no air filter or box (we are talking back in the old days) through creeks and rivers, and we sucked gallons of water into the motor with no problems what's so ever. Ok there was one time we got so much water into the motor, we had to remove the plug...kick start couple of times ( to get the water out) reinstall the plug and she started right back up with no adverse affect or any damage(that was about 10 years ago) and she is still running perfect today. What I am saying, just after a heavy rain or good wash...drain your air-box and she will be fine. Stopping to reinstall the door or pulling over and wait for the rain to stop is a waist of time. If you have a good filter (stock or K&N) it very hard for water to get into the motor, just because you have a little water in the air-box. ..................just my two cents

·
Registered
164 Posts
Guys....nowadays a little water going be sucked into the motor is not going to do any damage.
I'm with this guy. I think you guys are overly concerned for nothing. The only way water is going to damage anything is if a volume of water greater than the volume of the cylinder at its minimum (end of the piston's stroke) enters the cylinder. This is what they call hydrolock, and it can cause bent rods and broken pistons.
Pretty much the only way for that to happen is take your bike swimming.

I don't see how it would be possible for that to happen riding street, or trail for that matter, in any amount of rain. Even if it does suck in a little bit of water it'll turn to steam in the combustion process (known cylinder cleaning method) and be expelled with the rest of the crap through the exhaust. You would probably notice a decrease in power temporarily, but it would be gone almost instantly.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys....nowadays a little water going be sucked into the motor is not going to do any damage. Ok..ok I am an old fart, been riding dirt and street bikes for around 35 years. And I have taken many dirt bikes with no air filter or box (we are talking back in the old days) through creeks and rivers, and we sucked gallons of water into the motor with no problems what's so ever. Ok there was one time we got so much water into the motor, we had to remove the plug...kick start couple of times ( to get the water out) reinstall the plug and she started right back up with no adverse affect or any damage(that was about 10 years ago) and she is still running perfect today. What I am saying, just after a heavy rain or good wash...drain your air-box and she will be fine. Stopping to reinstall the door or pulling over and wait for the rain to stop is a waist of time. If you have a good filter (stock or K&N) it very hard for water to get into the motor, just because you have a little water in the air-box. ..................just my two cents
@pbnut too. Thanks for that input. I've found myself questioning the severity of a little water in the airbox. I don't think I'll bother reinstalling the door in a storm now. I'll just remove the catch-tube and let the airbox drain and dry overnight from now on.

Sorry for making such a big deal out of it.*sheepish grin* I guess I was kind of probing for information like this.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts