SuperMoto Junkie banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went along to the museum of science and industry in manchester the other day to check out Gunther Von Hagens' Body Worlds (on a side note, if you ever get a chance, go see it. Extremely fascinating). On my way out I had a quick look in the air and space hall and came across these. I'm not really into speedway (the racing or the bikes) but in the metal, they were pretty f***ing trick and looked as though you could pick 'em up in one hand. Think they were both Rotrax framed bikes from the mid '70s.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Gorgeous machines!

·
Registered
797 Posts
nothing rotax

the first one is a J A P and i 'd bet its older than the 70's, notice the solid front end with no fork travel....the second is a GM speedway bike that looks very 70's ish that Peter Collins mustve raced.... both have total loss oiling systems, the JAP fed from the tank on the rear fender and the GM has an oil cap on the frame by the fuel tank where you put oil in the frame and its picked up and fed to the motor under the seat....it has the straight H springer front end and a wheel disc.... Speedway bikes are the fastest launching 0-60 bikes ever built....70 horsepower and 160 lbs machine weight....to slow down you pin it and stand on your steel shoe and hold the thing back or just let off but notice any brakes on those bad boys??? :lol: they have a primary chain that drives the clutch and then a secondary chain on the clutch layshaft that drives the rear wheel like a harley....SPEEDWAY ROCKS! I admit it isnt the most interesting thing to watch on big tracks but short track racing stateside and actually riding one yourself is a pretty amazing experience.... IMO .....thanks for sharing those sweet pics!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No probs, chachi. Anyone who barrels around a slippery dirt oval on an angry as fook single cylinder rocket with virtually no brakes gets a thumbs up from me. The way they hang it out through the corners...goddamn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts