SuperMoto Junkie banner

No-Toil Rim Grease Issues

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  SuperMoturd 
#1 ·
I've had a No-Toil Super-Flo filter kit installed in my WR250X for about 7K miles now and it has been great. But today, when I went to remove the filter for cleaning, the No-Toil rim grease had literally glued the filter to the rim in the airbox. I pretty much tore the filter to pieces in the process of removing it. I'm not sure why the rim grease set up like that. It has been 5K miles since the last time I cleaned the filter and I don't feel like that is too long.

Are any of you guys running a Super-Flo kit? If so, are you noticing this with your filters? Also, how much rim grease do you use, if any. Can I get away with not using it? It just seems to make a huge mess even when it is not gluing my filter to the rim.

#2 ·
I feel that 5,000 miles is too long between air filter servicings with an oiled foam air filter, and I'd be willing to bet the guys who developed and produced this No Toil grease would probably have their eyes bug out if you told them how long you went between servicings.
Myself, I'd skip the grease and service the air filter once a month, minimum, and that's with street-only riding.
If going off-road, plan on every ride.

Even when that grease stuff is new and fresh out of a just-opened container, it looks like a runny mess with liquid already separating from the solid material.
Over time, the liquid of the grease probably evaporated and left the solid portion behind to glue your No Toil foam filter in place against the airbox.

I've always believed that some kind of grease is needed only if a particular bike's air filter design is so crummy (and there have been some bikes like that over the years), that thick, gooey grease was needed to actually obtain a good seal between the air filter and the airbox.

On all of my motorcycles with an oiled foam air filter, I stick by what has been proven to me for 30 years so far:
Maxima FFT foam filter oil and no grease.
If I ever felt compelled to use grease to make a proper air filter seal, I'd use plain ol' petrolium grease you probably already have in the garage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.