SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone from ESMRA contacted the new cart track director about SM practice at NJMP? His name is Tim Hannen, just hired a week ago.

Track is opening up in a few weeks. Already booked a day on the Lightning track. Would be cool to switch from road bike to motard during the day, especially since the cart track is inside the Lightning course :D

Cart layout look super sweat with lot of configurations. They do have a designated dirt section area, but I don't know if it's been built. I have a feeling that the dust may be a distraction to road events going on at the same time. Kind of wish they didn't put the cart track inside a road course.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
So did he replace Joe, the Director of Motorsports Activities? Or is this guy another Director?

I had been talking to Joe, didn't sound like he was going anywhere... I wil shoot him an email and see.

I DO know that ESMRA has been in touch with the track.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Has anyone from ESMRA contacted the new cart track director about SM practice at NJMP? His name is Tim Hannen, just hired a week ago.

Track is opening up in a few weeks. Already booked a day on the Lightning track. Would be cool to switch from road bike to motard during the day, especially since the cart track is inside the Lightning course :D

Cart layout look super sweat with lot of configurations. They do have a designated dirt section area, but I don't know if it's been built. I have a feeling that the dust may be a distraction to road events going on at the same time. Kind of wish they didn't put the cart track inside a road course.
Yes, we have been in touch with NJMP, however, we did not know there is a new track director. Thank you for the information and we will follow up with him.

Your information is appreciated! :thumbup:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe Joe V. is one of the partners, and i don't think he's going anywhere. This new person sounds like he's going to be more focused on the cart track facilities, rentals and school.

Keep in mind that this place has three tracks in addition to two off road and a future fourth paved track. I'm sure they'll be adding more managers for specific functions as time go by, for that's a lot for one guy to manage.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Good point, I didn't notice you specified the new cart track manager. Sounds like it's going to be a fun place, can't wait to check it out!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got back from doing at track day at the Lighting road course. Lunch area was in the cart building, right next to the track. Overall, the cart track looks fantastic. Elevation changes, wide pavement and these really cool giant lego looking barrier system.

The most shocking thing was the food as the concession stand. It was actually VERY good! A bit pricey, but delicious.

Tried to talk to some people there about Supermoto practice there, but not much of a response. If your into carts, they had some wicket shifter carts in the garage. The rental units are pretty nice too, 9HP carts made in Germany.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Just got back from doing at track day at the Lighting road course. Lunch area was in the cart building, right next to the track. Overall, the cart track looks fantastic. Elevation changes, wide pavement and these really cool giant lego looking barrier system.

The most shocking thing was the food as the concession stand. It was actually VERY good! A bit pricey, but delicious.

Tried to talk to some people there about Supermoto practice there, but not much of a response. If your into carts, they had some wicket shifter carts in the garage. The rental units are pretty nice too, 9HP carts made in Germany.
How's the track you rode on?

·
Registered
39 Posts
What did you think of the run-off room? I just read a review by somebody on the WERA board too who did the track day and that was one of his biggest concerns. Loved the track other than that though.

·
Registered
955 Posts

I have a TD on lighting later this month with TPM. I've read that it's pretty fast. I'm concerned that it's too fast for my Husaberg. The Berg will do 125 but I don't want to blow it up by running 125 all day! What is your opinion on running Lighting on a big motard?

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ran my Husky 450 which did OK. To be honest, I had jet lag (flew in from Europe the day before) and recovering form a cold, so my stamina just wasn't there. Still, the track was very nice, all of the turns flowed really good. No stop and go turns like Pocono East, in fact, i don't think I hit 3rd. gear at all (6-speed tranny). This might actually be a disadvantage to motards, for I've found that type of track to be to our advantage.

I ran the advanced group which probably wasn't the best idea. I don't do well adapting to new tracks, so the passing has a bit harsh. Still, i held my own and did OK. No one complained about being in their way, so that's good :-0

The only real issue I had with the motard was the only straight (pit in/ pit out). It comes off this 180 degree bowl turn with 10 degrees of banking. Everyone is powering out of the bowl to get top speed on the straight, which is uphill. This is where i couldn't get a good drive vs. the liter bikes which would blow right by me as I maxed out at 100 in 6th gear. Rest of the track i could have held my own if i was in better shape. Everyone was in 'learning mode' so once people get comfortable, the difference may be even more.

I would think a bigger motard (550+), gearing for top speed, and bigger balls would do OK. I had none of those on Monday :headscrat

IN terms of run off, I didn't see any real issues that had me concerned, vs. places like Pocono East or Summit Jefferson which are far more dangerous. One area that did get my attention was the bridge crossing. I comes at the end of a straight that's really not straight, but a swooping turn exit. At race pace, I could see a few bikes mixing it up then heading for the bridge support. There's tires there, but overall, the track should have been straight for this to be truly safe. I do wish they used kitty liter in some of the run off areas, don't know why that's not popular in the US.

Overall, the elevation changes are awesome. There's three turns that are blind crests, but they all lead to a straight section, so you can floor it over the hill. Turn one you actually get air on the front tire, cause it dips down so hard. Surface is extremely grippy/ shredded the right side of the tires on the big bikes.

I'm going to try and making back down next week with my Triumph which should be a bit better suited for the high speed turns. I'll bring the husky too, but with some taller gears and give it a shot.

Can't wait for the cart track to allow motards. That's looks to be the bomb! Can't say it's better than Beaver, but the potential is there. Much wider, and tons of configuration options.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Sweet thanks! I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts