SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talk me out of it:

I've had my eyes set on a drz400sm for over a year now (parents wouldnt approve :rolleyes2:), currently a college student with limited funds/ time to work.

--------------------
Saw an ad for a clean-looking 2004 ninja 250 for under $1400, and everytime I see clean 250s for low prices it gets me thinking:

- a DRZ is usually twice as expensive (though I'm willing to bet its also twice as fun and definitely worth it)
- ninja 250s are practically disposable, sell quickly, and if I get a good price I'd get most of my money back once I do sell it.

the drz IS in my budget, but for similar money I could get relatively relaxed-maintenance sumos with more power.

--------------------------------------------

SO, if you were in my situation, would you
- go for the ninja 250, ride the piss out of it, sell it down the road, and jump straight into the sumo world with a more race-focused ripper?
or
- go straight for the DRZ, enjoy it for years to come, and maybe eventually upgrade to a quicker sumo?

Personally I don't know if I could handle riding but not being a junkie, just from hanging around these forums I can tell my inner-hooligan is calling.
(I'd probably throw some MX bars onto the ninja 250 and make it into a beater streetfighter or something, but then the resale value would go down the drain :lol:)

ALSO, I'm curious as to how many of you started on the ninja 250. It definitely seemed like the default learner bike for the US when i started getting into bikes.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I just bought the 250 street fighter.

Its a real super moto. Lots of suspension travel, still 250cc and a ton of fun. Light to screw around with... 110/70/17 front 130/70/17 rear. Awesome brakes. Adjustable Preload, rebound and compression on the rear shock. adjustable compression on the front.

If you want a croch rocket, a ninja 250 could be a blast. They are twin cylinder and faster top speed than mine, but the fun factor is hard to beat. I wanted a "thumper" .

Do as you wish. If you don't have a bike, anything would be better.

Every time I take this bike out its an adventure.

David

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Ninjettes are cool little commuters that are very capable of some serious corner carving.

Dizzers also makes a a fine commuter that can carve tight corners too, but they can also wheelie with ease, jump curbs (most anything else for that matter), go off road, do stairs, get tossed down the road with minimal $$$ loss, etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I've been riding for 34 years, and this is my first yr with a sumo, or "legal" dirtbike for the street......and I wish I'd gotten a sumo, or a D/S much, much earlier, if not as my first street bike......

definitely go with the DRZ, or a WR250x, or the Kawi Klx sumo (250).....you'll definitely enjoy them. And on the flip side, you'll never have to make excuses if your buddies have SS bikes, if they say "oh, it's only a 250" ride down a flight of stairs and wheelie away......"later squids!":coffee:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Go DRZ, listen to the Junkie in you that's trying to come out! :lol:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Haha no more than 30 minutes and 2 youtube videos later I was scratching my head thinking "what was I thinking? A ninja 250?"
I'm going the DRZ route all the way, no matter what other bikes I see on here or craigslist, I always end up coming to the conclusion that the dizzer is the best match.

Enough daydreaming/mountainbiking, time to buy one and go riding :lol:

EDIT: Even though a ninja 250 streetfighter/stunt/hooligan bike would be cool, a 'tarded 250 or 125 2t dirtbike would be more agile and 10x more fun :bannana:

·
Registered
9,329 Posts
One thing that hasn't been asked, what do you weigh? The little 250's do just fine, you just have to keep in mind they have no torque at all, you have to rev them. Then again, my DRZ has no torque compared to a DR 650 or KTM 625. It's all in what you want, I like torque, cheap parts replacement, and low maintenance so I bought a DRZ.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One thing that hasn't been asked, what do you weigh? The little 250's do just fine, you just have to keep in mind they have no torque at all, you have to rev them. Then again, my DRZ has no torque compared to a DR 650 or KTM 625. It's all in what you want, I like torque, cheap parts replacement, and low maintenance so I bought a DRZ.
~140-150 (no gear), the ninjette would carry me fine, but I could only do a set of stairs once :lol:

ninja 250s look like a screaming good time when you want to blast down some twisty roads full throttle (I look at it as a street-legal, slower version of 50cc mini GP bikes), but the DRZ is definitely a better all-around bike, especially because I love mountainbiking, so I'd definitely be doing some offroading

1 - 12 of 12 Posts