SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ridden a supermoto two times in my life, and had a blast doing so. I used to own a CBR600F4 and loved that as well...never had a cruiser though. What I'm really asking here is if someone has owned all three, give me some advice... I don't think two up riding would be easy or much fun on a supermoto and I think I might feel bad if I kept leavin' my old lady at home cause I couldn't take her... Is two up even really possible on the supermoto?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Two up is possible, but not as fun, if she rides with you ALL the time a sport bike would be better.

Just buy a sport bike and a sumo:thumbup: Then teach her to ride.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i wish it was that easy man, i was an idiot - i traded my f4 for a quad that isn't in great shape so I'm tryin to get rid of that but can't find a damn buyer. she doesn't ride with me much, I traded the f4 last year before we started dating, only time we've ridden is when I borrowed a friends r6 for a day trip...

whats not fun about the two up? just the ergonomics about it or just stupid to even attempt?

·
Registered
366 Posts
single cylinder=not alot of hp but the hp to wieght ratio is great. two up is just kinda slow and is hard on the machine imoa. i ride two up with my girl sometimes. If we are going out for a night on the town it can do it no problem but if i want to play in the twisties with her on the back i try not to go to far from home because as i said it kinda hard on the machine but i also ride a slow pig aka drz400. if you got a 610 husky or a 690 ktm i feel it would do alot better. remember its a dirtbike but so much damn fun. im addicted gnarly, cant stop spending money and all my free time riding. watch out or you will become an sm:bannana:junkie.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
everytime i look at this website...all i wanna do is get one haha

I've been told to stay away from huskys and aprillia's and ktms due to high maintnance. Everyone tells me to get the DRZ but I am a big boy, I need somethin to tote my butt around.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i guess ill have the best of both worlds if this kid trades me for my quad for a oldschool cruiser haha

·
Registered
255 Posts

I've been told to stay away from huskys and aprillia's and ktms due to high maintnance. Everyone tells me to get the DRZ but I am a big boy, I need somethin to tote my butt around.
I recently picked up a sumo from leaving the sport bike realm. I did a lot of research and found ktms to be a great choice. I'm pretty sure the ktm and drz maintenance is similar... Both great bikes tho, you just can't compare the 2...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've ridden two-up on my WR250X when it still had the off-road tires many times with my now ex-g/f. She loved it, and I loved having her back there for about 30-40 minutes when my ass started to hurt from being forced forward onto the skinny part of the seat.

If you're staying in town, a street legal (not converted) sumo will be fine. Longer trips means get a bigger bike.

·
Registered
190 Posts

a Husky SM 610/630 or a KTM 625/690 doesn't have more maintenance than a DRZ.. and even if they have more power, two up on any supermoto just is no fun imo :headshake

·
Registered
626 Posts
I take the wife two-up on my 690 from time to time. Mostly just around town or no more than an hour away, until I get a better seat. For around town it's just fine. The 690 has plenty of power to get us both around and for me to scare the crap out of her, she loves it:thumbup: I can definitely see where the guys are coming form though, I don't think I'd be at it if I had a smaller bike.

·
Registered
142 Posts
2 outta 3 ain't bad

supermoto + cruiser. as many have stated, 2 up just ain't fun on a sumo. on longer trips i find myself needing to spread out (i.e. sitting back, standing up, whatever) just riding solo, nevermind with a mrs. on the back. also, sm's are just begging to be ridden inappropriately, and no bitch should be back there when that goes down!

sportbikes are lame, most of us came from them. I had to ride a customers r6 home (i work at a bike shop) the other day and within 15 minutes remembered exactly why i got out of them, horribly uncomfortable, no bottom end power whatsoever, obnoxious ability to make me think triple digits is okay. also for what its worth, they're not too comfy for your chica either.

cruiser. will be my next purchase as an easy, hit the button and ride bike. smash highway, pack gear, put that lil' damsel in distress on the back and ride wherever. this will NEVER replace the sm though, only in addition to. Thats motorcycles, always wanting more.

·
Registered
9,673 Posts
supermoto + cruiser. as many have stated, 2 up just ain't fun on a sumo. on longer trips i find myself needing to spread out (i.e. sitting back, standing up, whatever) just riding solo, nevermind with a mrs. on the back. also, sm's are just begging to be ridden inappropriately, and no bitch should be back there when that goes down!

sportbikes are lame, most of us came from them. I had to ride a customers r6 home (i work at a bike shop) the other day and within 15 minutes remembered exactly why i got out of them, horribly uncomfortable, no bottom end power whatsoever, obnoxious ability to make me think triple digits is okay. also for what its worth, they're not too comfy for your chica either.

cruiser. will be my next purchase as an easy, hit the button and ride bike. smash highway, pack gear, put that lil' damsel in distress on the back and ride wherever. this will NEVER replace the sm though, only in addition to. Thats motorcycles, always wanting more.

Yea, well put......:thumbup: I have never owned a sportbike.....never will, all I would wanna do is go fast....problem is with the way the economy is the troopers really like to hand out tickets massively, generating revenue....also seeing anything other than a 100 pound tart hunched over as a passenger I'd wanna hurl....:coffee: ( If I had the time I'd get a Gixxer 1K and head to the track only)

I had a street tard.....If you do alot of city or back country roads then your fine.. forget the hwy, the bike other than a 900 plus cc really won't cut it, as mentioned, a passenger on either a sm or a sportbike is really uncomfortable...I was outa control on the Tard, all I did was pick on sporties in the twisties, do wheely's and ride over medians and just generally act like an asshole...eventually the boyz will hand out enough big nasty tickets that you lose yur license...at least thats was my problem..so I was too childish to own one....besides to get a license these days to drive a cage all you need is a heart rate....and that freaks me out when I'm doin a buck 30 on a sportbike or a 4th gear wheely on my tard....lol..

So for me I have an MX bike, my race sm and..........yes a metric cruiser, Suzuki M109R... it can go from a tourer with huge seats to a bar hopper within 30 minutes.....stock out of the box the thing goes like a raped ape....handles like... well a metric cruiser...do some minor mods and the thing will come to life, also will hang with big sporties all day on the open hwy...they are rare so I get asked questions all day long...the HD guys give me the finger and the cops don't even take a second look..If the wife wants to ride then I put on the couch and off we go...So for me its really hard to get into trouble.....
I get my rush on the track with a built 4fiddy..... no SUV's, no cops and no worry's...:bannana:
just my 2 C's

1 - 13 of 13 Posts