SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off, i apologize if i put this in the wrong spot. i wasn't sure if it belonged in "tech" or not, so mods, feel free to move this if need be. :thumbup: just send me a PM so i know where you put it, otherwise i'll be lost for a little while. :lol: i also feel bad about it being so damn long....oops. :headshake

i am sure this stuff has been beated into the ground by newbies before me, so i apologize for that as well. i dug back a LOT of pages and couldn't really find what i was looking for, and when i use the search feature, it brings up all kinds of stuff i don't need. perhaps i'm just using the wrong "key" words. :headscrat

here goes: i'm not new to bikes by any means, but i AM new to SM's. totally new. i've never really ridden one. well, i have, but it wasn't mine, and it was in a parking lot.... you get the picture.

i plan to either sell my SV1000s in april, or either trade it in for a 'tard. the question is, which one? the only SM that i am aware of that is street ready that is "affordable" is the drz400sm, am i correct in that? i know ktm has some monsters, but i want something in the 400-500cc range. the dealer told me that he didn't think i would be happy with the drz400sm because, and i will quote him so i don't get totally reamed a new one...."they are weak". i don't know. i'm coming from a 996cc sportbike to a 400, so i'm realistic in what to expect.:hmmm: i know it will top out in stock form at just under 100mph, and i'm fine with that.

i really like the honda crf's, but they are not street ready, which brings me to my second question. where do you find kits to turn a dirt/enduro bike into a SM? i know it can be done because a guy i know has a cr450 that he turned into a motard. is it better to just buy the drzsm, or build another bike up? can anyone list off some websites to look at? i tried ebay, but that flunked. i assume the kits are pretty pricey, and i'm trying to keep it at, or around $6k, as that will be my approximate trade-in value, plus some cash.

third question. i'm honestly buying a supermoto for the fun factor. while i'm not really good at stunting in general, i love wheelies. :D i know on my hare scrambles bikes, and on my sv, i have changed the gearing, usually -1, +2. do ya'll do that to your motards to help with wheeling, or is the factory ratio pretty good?

i have more questions than just those, but i will start with them and see where i wind up.

thanks guys, any help is REALLY appreciated. :thumbup:

-stu

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Hey stu welcome to the site. All of the questions you have asked have been answered but you probably didn't use the right key words for your searches. A good rule of thumb is to look into the sub forums for the manufacturer your intersted in (KTM, Honda, Etc).

All that being said Here's some things to ponder;

The DRZ is a great bike that can be tuned to make a lot of power, but out of the gate is bit tame. That doesn't mean it can't be woken up; "Burned" the jetting expert on TT has one with like 48HP at the wheel or something insane. If left alone the DRZ is about as reliable as a single thumper gets (Except for maybe a XR650).

The KTM's are awesome bikes and KTM really backs supermoto whereas the Japanese don't offer a lot of SM specific parts. KTM has a ton of factory parts available right from the dealers. THE EXC models make great street tards and are legal coming right off the floor with a 6 speed tranny that will let you cruise on the highway fairly well. The downside is you have to convert them over, and that has some cost depending upon the route you go. Here's a picture of mine before I sold it to buy my speed triple (yeah I'm a pic whore, so sue me). I dropped another 3K on top of the bike cost, but Marchensini's and Berringer brakes aren't cheap. There is a lot more maintenance on the KTM compared to the DRZ, but you can stay on top of it.

KTM also has SM's in 650 and 900cc classes too.

The CRF is pretty much the epitome of a supermoto race bike. They can be converted to street but you will spend a lot of time wrenching on it since they are so high strung. The same will hold true for any true MX bike (including the over square KTM RFS bikes like the SMR and SX-F series). It is also getting to be a real pain in the ass to title one depending where you live. You can pretty much forget about it at this point if you live in the republic unless you can find one already titled.

Just because you ride liter bikes doesn't mean you won't be happy with a 450 or 525. Don't forget husky either, their 610 is probably one of the best street tards out there; so are the LC4 KTM's.

That should get you started, now start doing some reading man!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you wOOht! that does give me something to go on. when you are a newb, sometimes ya need a bone tossed out there. thanks for replying without flaming. (where'd that thumbsup smilie go????)

btw, that ktm of yours is pretty damn bad-ass. how much would it cost to get into something like that without the high priced wheels and brakes?

i'm not talking about the msrp on the bike, i can find that. i mean the cost of conversion.

also, besides the sub-forums on the the bikes, are their any good websites to look at?

again, i do apologize, i am a mod on a gun forum, and i know how pesky newb's can be. <sigh> which is why i tried searching first. :)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Check out Motostrano (the bog banner on the top of the page). They are a site sponsor and will give you 5% of if you give them your SMJ screen name. You can also look at Munn racing, they do all the KTM factory parts at fair prices.

Also look in the classifieds on here. I picked up those Marchi's for about what a new set of high end spoked wheels cost.

The cost will depend on how you far down the rabbit hole you want to go.

·
Registered
379 Posts
As I see it, there are 3 categories of "motard". Low maint, High maint, and Soft.

Work out how many miles you want to do, how often you'll mind doing maintenance, and whether you're actually going to use your motard as the motard gods intended.

Low maintenance, you've got bikes like the DRZ, KTM625/640/690, Husky 610, XR650 etc. Decent service intervals, and they're still "proper" motards.

High maintenance, you've got your streetable race bikes like the husky450/510, 450/525EXC, WR450, SXV450/550. But you'll be changing oil all the time, doing valve clearances, and avoiding long stretches of straight road at high speed.

Soft, you've got a whole bunch more bikes that only resemble motards. They range from disgusting (XT660) to beautiful (hypermotard, 950SM), but you wouldn't be hitting a really tight kart track or a dirt section with them unless you were pretty keen.

If I were after a low maint bike, I'd avoid the DRZ like the plague. It's cheap and cheerful, but the other bikes can be so much more.

For a bike that needs converting, buy one that is already done! You will save loads of cash!

For the more open road oriented bikes, I am yet to really experience them.

Herein ends one man's opinion. ;) Hope that helped.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Check for sale

If you decide to convert a dirtbike to a tard it can be a hassle and expensive, try checking the bikes for sale section on here and buy one already street legal, trust me it can get expensive to convert one over, I did it with a brand new xr650r, If I had it to do over again I think I would have bought the KTM625. Nice to have you aboard!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check out Motostrano (the bog banner on the top of the page). They are a site sponsor and will give you 5% of if you give them your SMJ screen name. You can also look at Munn racing, they do all the KTM factory parts at fair prices.

Also look in the classifieds on here. I picked up those Marchi's for about what a new set of high end spoked wheels cost.

The cost will depend on how you far down the rabbit hole you want to go.
will do, thanks. :thumbup: i just noticed you are in chesapeake, i live just outside lynchburg.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<snip> Herein ends one man's opinion. ;) Hope that helped.
yes it does, thanks. especially thanks on the DRZ opinion. out of all of them, i would have guessed them to be the most maintanence free.

i really plan on this being a commuter bike to and from work, which is only about 6 miles, with several stop-lights in between. occasionally i will hit the Blue Ridge Parkway, because it's only about 20 miles from my house to some pretty serious twisties. other than that i just want to goof off on country backroads and ride wheelies and stuff. :bike:

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you decide to convert a dirtbike to a tard it can be a hassle and expensive, try checking the bikes for sale section on here and buy one already street legal, trust me it can get expensive to convert one over, I did it with a brand new xr650r, If I had it to do over again I think I would have bought the KTM625. Nice to have you aboard!!:thumbup:

honda doesn't make one street ready, do they?

thanks for the welcome. i feel right at home already. :rock:

·
Registered
273 Posts
honda doesn't make one street ready, do they?

thanks for the welcome. i feel right at home already. :rock:
yes they do but its not sold in the states, as usual all the good fancy stuff is overseas. I too was a newbie and my first moto was this one that I just built, so if I can help with any of your questions give me a yell:thumbup: Hit the link below next to my name and you will see how it looks so far, I have added alot of small mods since that picture was taken.

·
Registered
239 Posts
yes it does, thanks. especially thanks on the DRZ opinion. out of all of them, i would have guessed them to be the most maintanence free.

i really plan on this being a commuter bike to and from work, which is only about 6 miles, with several stop-lights in between. occasionally i will hit the Blue Ridge Parkway, because it's only about 20 miles from my house to some pretty serious twisties. other than that i just want to goof off on country backroads and ride wheelies and stuff. :bike:
welcome stu

I have an 06 husky 610 and i love it. I use it mainly for commuting/goofing around, with the occassional longer trip and track use. The maint. is fairly easy, oil, occassional valve check, no problem
It's an all around good bike and there is no gearing needed for wheelies!! The only bad thing I have to say is the stock seat on my 06 sucks.. I think the seats on the newer models are better, but you only notice the seat if you are riding a straight boring road. Good Luck :thumbup:

·
Registered
453 Posts
hsracer, welcome to the site. one suggestion i have is to try selling your bike on your own as opposed to trading it in. you'll end up with more cash. you have a ducati 996?

anyway, good luck with everything.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hsracer, welcome to the site. one suggestion i have is to try selling your bike on your own as opposed to trading it in. you'll end up with more cash. you have a ducati 996?

anyway, good luck with everything.

no, sorry, i have a sv1000s, which just happends to have only 996 cc's.

unfortunately, the SV is just NOT a popular bike. :headshake the re-sale market sucks! :rant:

it is up for sale on quite a few places on the web right now, but i'm afraid i will probably just end up trading it in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts