SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pressed for time today and haven't been able to do as much research as I like, but after looking at the Duke II, Aprilia 550, etc. I've ended up going with a Husky SM 610 because of street rideability and the lower maintenance schedule. Anyway, in a few hours I'm going to be the proud new owner of my first supermoto. The bike itself is black/grey with only around 700 miles. The bike appears to be in mostly excellent condition, but what I'd like to know from you if there are any easy things to watch out for or to inspect before handing the cash over?

Also, the bike will need new handlebars, grips -- any aftermarket recommedations come to mind?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
380 Posts
They're great, reliable bikes so you should be fine. Check the cylinder head for any signs of leakage, the earlier ones head problems with the gaskets. Take it out for a spin and see if there is a noticeable stutter at the 4500 rpm mark (you'll know if it's there), easy fix with a different spark plug so no big deal but it'll give you an idea of the previous owner/maintenance.
Does it come with another exhaust or is the stock one on there? In case of the latter, don't be disappointed with the power initially, another pipe will wake the bike up and I still think it's hard to beat for street use!!
Good luck and enjoy!!
And PS. Welcome to SMJ!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought the bike here in NYC and it happens to be posted in the classifieds here. It has a Two Brothers exhaust modified to fit along with the JD jetkit. Took it out for a spin last night and its running lean (some popping during decel) -- the owner forewarned me of us. Anyway, this is going to be fun :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
:thumbup: welcome! get some pix up soon. You cant go wrong with the big H

·
Registered
831 Posts
I bought the bike here in NYC and it happens to be posted in the classifieds here. It has a Two Brothers exhaust modified to fit along with the JD jetkit. Took it out for a spin last night and its running lean (some popping during decel) -- the owner forewarned me of us. Anyway, this is going to be fun :)
Usually if it is backfiring you're rich, there's a valve on the left side of the tank, make sure that's open. That keeps the bike from vapor locking...mine was backfiring until I opened it. Since then the bike has been much better.

Hope this helps, also if you can ask the previous owner what jets they used, you may have to change the jettting to better suit your location.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the welcome! i have a lot to learn still but it'll be fun :) ...even right down to the basics such as where to get oil filters, etc....

·
Registered
133 Posts
...there's a valve on the left side of the tank, make sure that's open. That keeps the bike from vapor locking...mine was backfiring until I opened it. .
The valve on the fuel tank with the hose going to the carb? I thought that was to activate the fuel reserve.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I don't know about your Hussys, but mine has a low fuel sensor that lights up when you have .3 gallons. That little gas pump icon, in the LCD, along with an amber light. The petcock on the left is to allow fuel in the left side of the tank to used.

·
Registered
371 Posts
no official reserve, but there is a valve on the left side of the tank. You can use this like a reserve if you want to -- keep it closed until the light comes on or you run out of fuel -- then open it up and use what's left in the left side of your tank --whatever didn't already slosh over to the right side, that is. Not an exact science, but if you're worried about not having a reserve, it works ok.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts