SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I Just took delivery of my 2010 Yamaha WR250X This morning. It was shipped to my home. When the bike is on the kickstand, I cannot see any oil reading in the view window. I have put about 25 miles on it already today with no engine warning light, but I am concerned. Should I be? Should I try to add a small amount of Mobile1 (auto, that's all I have at the moment) until I see a reading. Would the Mobile1 hurt the engine? Sorry for the noob questions, I'm new to this. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry all, I'm an idiot.

OK,

I Just learned lesson number one about new motorcycle ownership. Do not overreact when you don't know what you are doing. Of course I couldn't see an oil level readiing, the bike wasn't LEVEL. What a moron.

I can see all you SM vets out there who read this roll your eyes, grit your teeth, and think to yourselves, "another genius gets a bike, and joins our ranks. Great". Sorry, I'll get better.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Your new bike should have come with an owner’s manual. Take a little time and read it to learn a bunch of stuff about your new bike and you won't have these anxiety attacks. :D

·
Registered
913 Posts
Your new bike should have come with an owner’s manual. Take a little time and read it to learn a bunch of stuff about your new bike and you won't have these anxiety attacks. :D
X2

also i wont advise using auto oils........they have friction modifiers in them that hamper the operation of the clutch.
use bike specific oils.
there are a couple exceptions to this, but to be safe, use the bike oils.

·
Registered
628 Posts
OK,

I Just learned lesson number one about new motorcycle ownership. Do not overreact when you don't know what you are doing. Of course I couldn't see an oil level readiing, the bike wasn't LEVEL. What a moron.

I can see all you SM vets out there who read this roll your eyes, grit your teeth, and think to yourselves, "another genius gets a bike, and joins our ranks. Great". Sorry, I'll get better.
i'm new to supermoto, but not to bikes. i know I'M not thinking that... it happens. gotta learn sometime. if it makes you feel any better, i've built two supersport race bikes (fully CMRA legal) and during my new DRZ rebuild i connected the battery backwards, popping two fuses before realizing my mistake. it happens. don't sweat it. :D

and welcome to the hooligan world. :anim_peep:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks!!

Thanks guys!! I appreciate the kind words. RRP, thanks for the word on the auto motor oil. I never knew that, so I appreciate you the sharing of wisdom. Good Days

·
Registered
63 Posts
Welcome to the sm world. I'm relatively new and these guys have tought me a far damn sight more than I could have imagined about my bike. Great crew here.:clap:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to Everyone for the kind words,

I appreciate the insight and advice. I feel like a doofus asking some of the questions, but I figure it is better to ask than to guess.

High-Side,
You are right, the owners manual did turn out to be a great source of information. Especially after I read it a second time and noticed the section about checkiong the oil level when the bike is upright on an even surface :hmmm:

Happy Trails!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi,
I Just took delivery of my 2010 Yamaha WR250X This morning. It was shipped to my home. When the bike is on the kickstand, I cannot see any oil reading in the view window. I have put about 25 miles on it already today with no engine warning light, but I am concerned. Should I be? Should I try to add a small amount of Mobile1 (auto, that's all I have at the moment) until I see a reading. Would the Mobile1 hurt the engine? Sorry for the noob questions, I'm new to this. Any help is appreciated.
Sorry bro its not a cager and you may die soon.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Sorry bro its not a cager and you may die soon.
Ahhh, come on. He's new and excited. Give the guy a break.

We've all had those :laughings moments.

Welcome to the addiction, and don't be afraid to ask questions dude.
It's often better to ask than assume.

There's a handy "Yamaha" only section here at SMJ that might be a good place for you to read through. I know you've also found the wr250r/x forum as well. :D

Happy riding.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Grendel336,
I knew I was opening myself up for some serious ridicule. No worries. Like you said, better to ask than assume. Good Riding!

P.S. I am having a BLAST!!!!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
High-Side,
You are right, the owners manual did turn out to be a great source of information. Especially after I read it a second time and noticed the section about checkiong the oil level when the bike is upright on an even surface :hmmm:

Happy Trails!
I know how clueless I was when I first got mine. The owner’s manual really helped me. :thumbup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts