SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a cheap blown up 04 CRF450 that I will be making street legal in PA after I get it running again.

I would like to switch from street to dirt easily so I would need a SM wheel combo that is complete with brake rotors and a rear sprocket. I am ok with buying assembled wheels only and installing rotors and sprocket later.

What is a good wheel setup to look for? What should I stay away from?

What is a good gearing combo for all around street use?

Should I have a cush drive setup?

Do I need a big front brake rotor?

I do have the ability to lace up my own wheel spoke hub combo but I would prefer to buy an assembled combo. Much easier and less time consuming. But if I can save a bunch of money piecing it together myself I will do that.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I don't know of any bad sm wheel sets. You can spend more money and get tubeless carbon etc but for a street bike vs a racer ita not worth it.

Used wheels are likely the best option if you can find a set. Usually you end up with tires and brake rotor.

I've run an sm with an oversized dirt rotor and there is big difference in braking. Cheapest is just use dirt rotor. Then caliper relocation bracket and 320mm rotor.

Sorry I don't have specific gearing but there are street legal crf450 build threads on here that might help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I found a used set of Warp 9 Elite wheels with 320mm front rotor and 40 tooth rear sprocket with Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2 tires on them. The owner says they are "like new" with only 200 miles on them. Comes with the front bracket and the spacers. Look good in the pics. He's asking $1000.

I shopped around and can get this same setup brand new with a choice of many different tires for roughly $1200 shipped so to me $1000 for some used stuff is not a great deal. I offered him $750. Not even sure if that is a good deal on my end.

Hopefully somebody can chime in and tell me if that is fair or not or possibly what the going rate is for a set of used wheels and tires.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
When I sold my warp 9 rims years back I think new they were $850 bare. Add rim straps. Tunes. Tires. Upgraded each rotor. Sprocket choices and it was probably $1400. I sold them well used with 50% tire left for $700 plus shipping. 750 is a good deal for super low mileage ones. I'd even venture to say a grand is probably a good deal if it's exactly what you want.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I picked up a cheap blown up 04 CRF450 that I will be making street legal in PA after I get it running again.

I would like to switch from street to dirt easily so I would need a SM wheel combo that is complete with brake rotors and a rear sprocket. I am ok with buying assembled wheels only and installing rotors and sprocket later.

What is a good wheel setup to look for? What should I stay away from?

What is a good gearing combo for all around street use?

Should I have a cush drive setup?

Do I need a big front brake rotor?

I do have the ability to lace up my own wheel spoke hub combo but I would prefer to buy an assembled combo. Much easier and less time consuming. But if I can save a bunch of money piecing it together myself I will do that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For my CRF I use a 44 sprocket on the rear with a stock size in the front. It's very torquey for in town, and you sit at a comfy rev cruising. But top speed is about 75mph and thats screaming. I wouldn't recommend highway. Originally I had a 39 in the rear and it could hit 100 but it was terrifying to do on that bike.

·
Registered
26 Posts
To answer one of your questions, YES I think you need a CUSH HUB!!! I look like the Marchesini wheels above are the cush type.... I have a set of those I am just finishing up for my KTM. Oherwise, if you want spokes, then Warp9 has a cush hub for the 450.
Keith

1 - 8 of 8 Posts