SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have been on this forum for a few weeks prior to buying my 05 drz400, and just picked it up this last weekend and already love it! I road 2 and a half hours on the way home and it was awesome!

My question is when I got home I jumped it about 2-3 feet a couple of times onto my driveway and after I parked it I noticed my tire was flat. So I looked for a puncture but didn't see or hear a sound after I pumped it up. The only sound was near the valve stem but the tires said for tubeless fitment only so I figured it couldn't be a leak in the tube. I found out the PO had put tubes into a tubeless tire. Didn't know if that was a big deal or not? I ended up putting ride on in the tire and it solved the problem. I just felt a little extra vibration at high speeds (70-80mph) Could that be a bent rim? or just the ride on in the tire balancing itself?

I don't know what I should do. Any help would be great!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
My understanding is that unless your wheels are set up to run tubeless (spokes plugged/airtight), you need tubes in there even if the tires say tubeless. Probably have to replace the tubes in there. Everything I've heard about that fix-a-flat type stuff is it's meant to get you to a repair station and that's all and that most of the time, you're better off just cramming air in the tire and rolling on that instead of putting that stuff in your tubes.

·
Registered
217 Posts
if it's leaking air from around the valve the PO was probably just a little rough with it when he would put air in it, not a huge deal. Definitely get the tube replaced, the shakinig your feeling is from the wheel being unbalanced now. No reason you can't use tubes in tubeless tires, you just can't go tubeless with tires that are meant for tubes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the ride on that I put in the tube won't be a permanent fix? because I have used it in other bike tires and it always worked. I really don't want to buy a new tube. Unless its a must or pretty cheap.

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you're not going to replace the tube, I would at the very least rebalance your wheel. If it was me I'd definitely not count on it to be a permanent fix, especially if you're gonna be jumping off of things.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts