SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

Ok, so I am fairly new to all of this and have picked up a Honda CRF450R 2004 model which looks pretty stock. (I love it - the thing is a monster!!)
It actually has a number plate and is registered, but only appears to have lights on it for show???

I want to convert it to supermoto for street, and have ordered a Trail Tech stator kit which comes with a battery, flywheel etc. and I believe it puts out 70 watts.

The TT kit should be here in the next couple of days and so now I am thinking about proper lights. When I have the opportunity I will have a closer look at the lights on the bike to see if they will work - but they look pretty beat up and I'm assuming they will give me trouble.

I did some googling and the simplest option seemed to be a Baja Designs Dual Sport kit - at just over US$500, which I'd have to add about $250 to for shipping/taxes.

So, this is getting to be a pretty big cost just for lights - do I have any 'relatively easy' alternatives? Is it that difficult to connect any headlight I like which works power-wise, and just buy a 'slim' kit for the taillight? One main advantage of the Baja kit seems to be the integrated ignition switch - would this be hard to replicate??

Unfortunately I am living in a condo with a very modest tool collection, so I am relying on a shop to do the work and I wanna have everything pretty well researched and parts obtained, before I take the bike to them.

Thanks heaps for any advice....I'll keep searching!

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you can, I would contact the previous owner and see if the lights were disconnected or ever worked at one time. Are there a brake light switch's for the front and back, turn signals, headlight and tail light? What do you mean by registered? Was it licensed at one time? Doing what you want to do is gonna be really expensive.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for the reply,
Yeah, I'm having a little trouble with that 'contact the previous owner' thing....not a good sign...lol

I was told that the lights never worked and were simply there for show when I bought the bike - didn't think to give it much thought at the time (I am in Thailand after all!).
Anyway, given the lack of any controls on the bars/bike I'd be pretty surprised if they were ever connected or even worked prior to being put on the bike.
I will still check it over more closely when I can.

The whole time it has been here it has been registered, which I believe is since '05 I think.
I know it's not going to be cheap, but the competition is even less cheap - KTM690SMC US$20K+...
This is why I am so keen on possibly not having to go with the baja kit and save some coin, but it is looking like the most practical at this stage!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts