SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello & thanks for stopping by, I want to get a supermoto type bike & what I have found that I like is the Husqvarna 701 Supermoto & the Ducati Hypermotard 939 type bikes because I want to ride on the street probably 100% of the time. I want to be able to ride the bike daily & put many miles on it, I am new to riding but I have ridden dirt bikes a few times in the past couple years. I want to be able to go ride around with my buddies who have sportbikes. So which bike/bikes would you guy recommend for me? I am also looking at gear & id like some help deciding if the choices I made are good or bad, are mx style big boots really the best for pure street riding? I read that it is and that it isn't many times so I am very confused. If so id get the SIDI Adventure 2 Gore-Tex Boots, if not id get Dainese Street Darker Gore-Tex Shoes or you can tell me why either of those are bad choices! I want gear that will protect me while still giving me the capability to ride well. The helmet I plan on getting is the KRIOS KARBON ADVENTURE HELMET so let me know what you think about that as well please. & would it be too much for me to start on a newish or new nice bike like the Husqvarna 701? I know I will probably crash a few times but I was told that a supermoto is more durable than a sportbike which is what I was going to purchase until I discovered supermotos. I want something that I can own for a while & not grow out of because I will be making payments and riding almost daily year round. & I don't want something thats gonna break easily/quickly. Please let me know what you think with any recommendations, I appreciate your time.

-Tyler

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I went with the Sidi x3 srs. No hard plastic on the inside of the calf. Not banging bars fighting for position for turn one. Replaceable soles. Yes you will drop a new bike. The Husky would be a better choice from a parking lot tip over or two.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,149 Posts

This is what I got. Thin toe height for shifting, often. The ankle hinge is a little easier than a full on MX boot. And it's orange and black. Picking riding gear is like tires, oil and stuff like that. What I like in a boot necessarily won't be on your radar. Things to consider; when you get off the bike can you walk around?, You need an articulated ankle to do this. Leather will not flex but by time it breaks in you have no ankle support, leather boots will be worn out within a year even if they look brand new. Best thing to do is try them on and walk around in them, tough to do unless you have a mega store handy. So I would say an articulated ankle is an absolute must. Pants in or out is also a factor.

I still have to eye ball your helmet choice.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Those both look like a viable choice. Won't look like a freak walking into the Starbucks like mine. I wear mine pants in. Everybody stares like I'm an idiot. At the end it is fit and comfort. The Alpinestars I tried on just wasn't as comfortable. I have Chaparral 10 miles away, pretty much every boot known to man to try on. Except the ones I got, they couldn't even order them. Revzilla will let you send them back I believe if they don"t fit I believe. Most dealerships only have a limited selection.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Ah, the Klim helmet. I like that one. I have a Variant Carbon(Do'h) and installed the sena 10c that I lopped there speakers off and soldiered new thinner louder ones. If the variant gets thrashed the Klim will be on the short list. Again fit and comfort will play a big role there, too. And I'm not a Klim fan, overpriced stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks man, so with the boots I just linked, are yours better? I mean its weird to me that the ones I linked don't have straps on the outside. If your kind is better I will get a pair similar don't care about looks that much.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thank you! You sold me on getting a full on boot, will they last me 5-10+ years? Don't want to spend that much money just to have to replace it super quickly. & Should I get a used 250 supermoto or jump to the 701 husqvarna? their is only 2 supermotos on the market in my state and they are pretty damn expensive for how old they are. I would own the new bike for as long as it lasts, hopefully 10+ years. If I bought a 250 used that wouldnt last long because I would outgrow the power real quick. Planning on riding a few hours a day this summer.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Both. Hot weather, short gloves to let air up the sleeves. Cold weather gauntlets to keep the cold air out. Do not skimp, the best padding available in the palm. And fiber carbon knuckles for smashing car windows of idiots. Don't forget a spine protector of some sort.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Keep in mind gloves will last you from three to six months. Holes in fingers, seams unraveling. And the 300 dollar ones don"t last longer than the 50-100 dollar ones.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Both the gloves and back protector are top notch. If you're going do parking lot wheelie practice do get a cheap set of throw away gloves. Low speed stuff shouldn't wear through the palms but may ruin a set of premium gloves.

·
Registered
275 Posts
with boots and helmets you really get what you pay for, a $600 boot or helmet like a fox instinct or a bell moto-9 is 6 times better than a $100 helmet or boot, sometimes if you search around the internets the good stuff is on closeout and maybe half price, that's how I get all my gear

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks so much guys! So there is 0 good used supermotos in my area so should I buy new? I don't want a 250 because I need the power to keep up with all my buddies who ride sport bikes! Can I ride a supermoto for a couple hours without it killing my butt, back, etc etc. I would be doing probably 55-60 mph on average sometimes going up to 80-90 maybe 100. I love love love the 701 Husqvarna especially because they are super rare. But I am worried about crashing it and ruining it & or it being too much for me, any thoughts? recommendations? if its a shitter bike I wont keep long since I will be riding a lot. I want to daily drive the said bike as well!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
how does it compare to a sport bike? if any of you know? Would it be better for me to get a sport bike if I am going to ride daily?

·
Registered
133 Posts
how does it compare to a sport bike? if any of you know? Would it be better for me to get a sport bike if I am going to ride daily?
You might want to look at a new DRZ and get an used 701 in a few years when the price drops by a third over a new 701. While the DRZ is a bit portly and a bit gutless stock, they're cheap and reliable and low maintenance, and run better with a JD jet kit. Their parts are everywhere and there's a huge aftermarket and the bike is so detuned stock that you can add HP with mods without stringing it out. The DRZ400SM can still do some highway, but it won't be fast like the 701, but then again, your sport bike buddies all have a top speed of 160+mph to any supermoto which tops out around 90-100mph. you can toss your DRZ down the road to your hearts content and if you're wearing gear, just stand up and walk over and start it up and ride off if you get some good hand guards and some sliders. that sport bike would be twisted with coolant all over the place. their extra 100 lbs gives them a lot more momentum when sliding... sigh. supermotos are more about torque and that big pull happens fairly low in the rpm; they don't like sustained high rpm highway riding due to the nature of the single cylinder design, that's why they're well suited for slower city riding and twisty corners and some trails, like riding out to the lake in the summer for a swim.

The 701 is a pretty powerful bike for a first bike, and it would be far better to learn throttle control on something less powerful so that you don't hurt yourself accidentally stepping over your limits, or lose interest in the sport. we need more riders. I rode sport bikes on the street and track and there's a reason why I stopped in 2005 and switched over. supermotos are way more fun for daily or lower speed riding as they are nimble and agile at low speeds with lots of torque and strong brakes and they really handle well.

The sport bikes are all about fun in a different way, they're all about going fast in a straight line or leaning off through a corner as you try to not lose your license from speeding. They're heavy but fast and not nimble; in fact you have to be doing like 60 before they feel like they're waking up and just getting into their handling zone. Thats why I switched, ticket avoidance; to get more off the highway where there's no cops and lots of fun and actually slower speeds due to the gravel roads, creeks, and trails. When you start riding them off road too, sliding around on the slick tires, and connecting up highway loops, all your buddies will all switch over, especially if you get that 701. I've owned sport bikes for the street and track, a CRF450r supermoto, the DRZ400, and now I'm on a 690SMC to get a sense of my background and bias.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts