SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. This is my first post on to the forum and will be home of my official build thread.

I'm big on wrangler forum's for my Jeep, but am new here and new to SuperMoto in general. Have ridden bikes since a kid and just purchased my CRF450X.

I'm lookin to build a "motard"(?) not actually sure of the difference/definition (NEWb!)

So ladies and gentleman, I am a man in need of all the advice and help I can get.

I've read through some builds here and am not completely incompetent, but a little naive on the technicals. First motorcycle modding. I know I'll be looking for & need advice on:
- Wheels/Tires
- Sprockets/Ratio/Chain
- Front Axle/Hubs
- Blinkers

What am I forgetting?

Looking to create fully street legal, cruise at 70mph, top out around 100+, sick. ass. bike.

Currently fabricating a tail light for a Fischer1 and will hopefully be getting started on my supermoto/mototard(?) in the next week maybe two -- just more time for brown Santa to arrive :clap:

And so it begins. In class. Pics soon.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Cant wait! subscribed:thumbup:!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry boys, no build just yet. Still working on my Fischer1 tail light.

Got the mounts made and welded up, looks great so all I had left was wiring. GOD I HATE WIRING. After disassembly and paint, all of a sudden, upon reassembly the brake light isn't working properly and is on at a constant. I know which wires they are in the harness, and there appears to be nothing wrong. Going to disassemble to harness and butt-connect everything manually to be sure. Makes no sense! GOD I HATE WIRING.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Regardless, I do need some help..

What wheel/tire size should I be running?
I read that I can use my current axle with the Talon/Excel wheels.
I am a college student on a budget, what's the best value out there?
Reviews?

Disk brakes?
I see some wheels come with the caliper, what else would I need?
Location/price/reviews?

What gearing would you suggest?
I'm looking to cruise between 60-70 and would like to top out around 100mph. This bike will most likeley never hit the track so what the best gearing/power for street I can get out of it?

What have you motard guys done about street legality, i.e. blinkers?
Have seen the dualsport kit, but I'm looking for the best value since $$$ will be dropped on wheels and tires.

And of course I WTB all of these, so if you have a FS - PM me. Figure that's enough to ask for right now. A penny for your thoughts...

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
You might look up a guy on here with the screen name "481", he has a pretty serious 450x. I am not really sure about gearing and tire sizes, but if you use the "search" function you'll find all kinds of good info. on here. You might also give some attention to the engine. The Hondas have a pretty demanding maintenance schedule/intervals. I would recommend looking into stainless steel valves and a TRX450 piston. That will give your bike a lot more durability and less maintenance/headaches if you're going to use it on a regular basis.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Alrighttt, finally got some progress made on the bike. Got it home, washed it off, and started disassembling it for the most part.

Got the tank, battery, and rear fender/light uplugged and removed.

My classes are canceled through Tuesday for Fall Break, so hopefully I'll have the bike completely stripped and cleaned by then. Workin to get to the carburetor tomorrow. Taking it apart and cleaning it out. Sure its gunked up; the bike had sat for a while before I picked it up.

First time taking apart a carb, so should be interesting! Wish me luck! And of course, any tips/advice are more than welcomed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got a little progress done in the past week. Got the bike stripped, cleaned out the carb, and got it all sparkly at the powerwash. Now I'm just waitin on my new battery to come in, and hopefully find me a set of wheels/tires on the cheap.

Carb out...

Off for a washin!

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Sweet gonna be fun!

I love when people say "doin this on a college budget" and then we get to see all their other toys, tools, shop, etc, etc.

Shit man, i'll show you college budget. I got a bag of zipties, half a can of Krylon Fusion (matte black), no air/power tools, maybe some fresh motor oil lying around, bikes locked up to a steel fence (outside), and i didnt buy any textbooks this term (but them Pilot Powers are pretty nice! :thumbup:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts