SuperMoto Junkie banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi I'm new here and new to to SM's. I'm 30 grew up riding dirt bikes and quads, learned how to ride rice rockets on a TL 1000, to say the least I am not afraid of too much power.

I'm looking to get a SM, also I don't wanna sound like a troll or idiot on this site so any info i may be leaving out please let me know. So there is 07 ape 450 for sale near me with 1000 miles on it for around 5 G. I don't know if it has been retro fitted with the newer black sealant. I have allreAdy read that the ape and husqy require much upkeep so newbs may want to stay away. Second there is this bike for sale near me http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/mcy/2460101142.html , I actually saw it yesterday and it sounded sweet, definitely aftermarket pipe.

So any info would be much appreciated, thank you.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Welcome to SMJ!

What kind of riding you planning on doing?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Oh yeah I should have posted that, street mainly. I wanna rip around fairly aggressively.
I ride my 07 SXV on the street. It will do it.
But just understand you will change the oil a lot compared to other SM's.

The DRZ and the Yamaha 250x seem to be the good choice for just starting out. Both have a lower maint sched that the Ape or husky

·
Registered
771 Posts
I rode dirtbikes for 13 yrs then i bought my first street bike, wr250x. I do close to 50/50 dirt/street. Been riding my lil 250 for a year now, if I had the money I would go with a 525 EXC KTM. 250 is indeed a great bike BUT its still only a 250. The benefits I see are as follows:
250x- next to no maint, fuel injection, lack of power is easier to stay out of trouble.
525 exc- BALLS, and about 40??? pounds lighter than the 250. I do believe the EXC has a 6spd tranny (250x also has 6spd)

As for DRZ, I don't much have an interest in that bike.

the DRZ has only a 5spd trans, cruising rpms need compared. I rip my x at 65-70 often, not a big fan of riding the 65mph highways for long distances.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts